1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Another symptom of trump's approach to the pandemic... and look at the date of this article!

Republican fundraiser looks to cash in on coronavirus
    A longtime campaign operative informed clients that he was leaving politics behind for a new line of work: selling critical medical supplies.
    By THEODORIC MEYER and ALEX ISENSTADT

03/27/2020 02:35 PM EDT
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The media is pulling a predictable tactic. Their doomsday scenarios aren’t coming true (millions of deaths in the US!), hospitals have excess capacity, cases and likely death counts have peaked, drugs are starting to show positive signs, and the stock market has retraced much of its losses. Now they are hyping up second and third wave virus resurgences! They have to jump to something unprovable in the future!

dachuda86 likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stay safe and stay sane. I am signing off.

jcf, London'sBurning and B-Bob like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How’s this for data? COVID now the leading cause of death in our country. No hype, just the raw truth:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/1712761/

Glad someone has promised us here, on April 19, that deaths have peaked. God i hope so. Treatments literally can’t get here fast enough.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm still getting the feeling we will have another peak. States like SD it is really starting to hit them, others states like FL are relaxing possibly too fast, and we're seeing a wave of protests by people not practicing social distance or doing other things to slow transmission. Those people are likely going to end up spreading it more. Judging from the MN protests I'm guessing a lot of them don't live in the urban areas and will end up bringing it to their communities.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Distancing from brown people = patriotism

RayRay10 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

So! Many! Exclamation marks! This is great that you think so much...why don't you talk to everyone instead of being a douchebag?

Nook likes this.
  9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you mad, bro?

I was trashing the media before it was cool to trash the media. Going back 15 years on this site alone!

10. Buck Turgidson

Absolutely not.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How can any of us be mad? That poster has promised us we've hit our worst day of COVID deaths. Praise be! Never mind his brother was celebrating a few weeks ago when we only had 1500 confirmed cases. There's still time to be right, and definitely time to keep banging "the media," multifarious beast that it be.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

Why am I the *******?

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Pouring milk before cereal is definitely communism.

B-Bob, RayRay10, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Anything to avoid admitting the guy he voted for and still supports lied and completely screwed up the worst pandemic to hit the United States. So blame... the media.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

16. No Worries

17. No Worries

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Like I don't know how you are supposed to cover something that just in Texas destroys 50,000 jobs, and in the US has killed over 40,000 people? Sunshine and rainbows??

On a personal note, I was just told last week here in the next couple of days I'll be getting my documentation confirming whether I'll either be furloughed or be better up to potentially a 40% salary cut for who knows how long. One of my best friends too has his mom basically on life support due to Covid. Her organs are essentially failing her.

But with Trumpers its all politics all the time, and play the politics of turning ANYTHING and EVERYTHING into a counterattack on liberals or the media which is conflated with liberalism.

The reality on the ground is that THE MEDIA probably is underplaying the devastation that this disease has caused and how it will continue to devastate lives and jobs for years to come. Idiots on the right don't realize THEY ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM with their ignorance that results in continuing to spread the virus and leading to a prolonged response.

Giving sunshine and rainbows on the media would make the outcomes worse. Truth and reality are what is needed.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two pictures from this weekend's protests. The first is in Austin, TX.
    [​IMG]
    This man is dangerous. Not because he is a black belt in Jui Jitsu but because he is possibly spreading this disease to his students and to many many others. Not being able to do martial arts is personally painful but there is no such thing as social distance in Judo and Jui Jitsu. It is not just common but expected to have other people's sweat, spit and blood on you. That's what happens when you're locked up with someone trying pin, choke or break your arm.

One of the principles of Judo and I know many Jui Jitsu schools follow this too, is Jita Kyoie which is roughly translated to "Mutual Benefit and Welfare". What that means is that we act for the benefit of others for the benefit or ourselves. It is roughly the same as the Golden Rule but encompasses the idea that we are part of a larger community. It is part of the "Do" (the Way) that is the philosophical underpinning of martial arts. That idea is more important now than ever. While personally we may want to do martial arts we have to consider we are part of a larger community. Even if we are in shape athletes because of the possibility of transmission without symptoms we could transmit this disease to many others. Jita Kyoie applies to more than ourselves or even the martial arts community but to the community at large.
    [​IMG]
    The second picture the main in green scrubs is a hero. In martial arts we like to talk about strength and toughness. Strength is more than just physical power. Toughness is more than just being able to fight till the end in a tough match. Strength and toughness are what those working in ICUs are showing. The strength to deal with patients choking internally to death. To put a tube down their throat so they can breathe. The toughness to spend hours in makeshift protective gear to dispense care. For the man in this picture it is also the strength to stand up, endure taunts to remind people of what is at stake here.

joshuaao, B-Bob, No Worries and 3 others like this.
  20. No Worries

Dare I say to that idiot woman ... America, Love it or Leave it.

Word on her street is that crossing the southern bonder is easy-peasy.

RayRay10 likes this.