1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Keep thinning the Trump Herd.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If there is no evidence and only conjecture, yes it's at the consipracy theory stage.

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

U.S. MILITARY INVESTIGATIONS SUGGEST COVID-19 PROBABLY WASN'T CREATED IN A LAB, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEF SAYS
    https://www.newsweek.com/military-g...ve-about-whether-coronavirus-came-lab-1497889

RayRay10 and fchowd0311 like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well just found out I'm going to be forced to take a major cut in my salary. You guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be better financially to just get furloughed and collect unemployment?

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and jcf like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. unless you're making a fairly low wage, no.
    2. unless your salaried job has zero benefits, no.

That's my understanding. Sorry to hear the news, btw. Definitely coming my way by August if not sooner.

RayRay10, jcf and dobro1229 like this.
  6. B-Bob

Why do we even need to hear from the military about a virology question? Virologists are very clear on this and they can see it just like fingerprints: bat --> pangolin --> to human in China.

Evidence of human tampering in DNA is usually pretty blatant. Scientists have completely investigated the virus's DNA and see no evidence of tampering.

This is just stupid, but of course, we live in an era where Brits are setting cell phone towers ablaze b/c they think the towers are beaming COVID-19 at them.

Nook, RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. dobro1229

Yeah I'm sure yet if I'm getting the axe this friday with the rest of the furloughed employees, but have gotten the news that if I'm not furloughed there will a significant temporary cut in salary. I think i'll be feeling much better to deal with that vs unemployment but either way it blows big time.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-army-scientists-frontlines-fight-coronavirus/story?id=69700234

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did she really say that the Ban on travel worked?

And then say people should know the Facts?

Kellyanne continues to amaze me by giving zero ****s for the truth.

10. B-Bob

That's great, sincerely, but every major university, biotech company, and even faintly relevant branch of the government is on the "frontlines" to fight it scientifically, and that's good.

I just didn't get why the headline was that military experts said the virus was "probably" natural. Seems more accurate to say:

Scientists everywhere say the new virus lacks signatures of artificial manipulation.

God damn it, it's almost like I should be a science writer. LOL.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So brilliant, how did I never see this before.

[​IMG]

Nook, RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and 9 others like this.
  12. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Our company announced pay cuts for VP and above, and two-week furloughs for the rest of us (need to take two weeks, not concurrent, between now and July 3). Still better than layoffs, but I reckon there is always a chance that layoffs will happen down the road.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Maybe they're trying to reach the knuckledraggers who think all the institutions you listed are part of the global liberal elite deep state underground lizard people...but they might listen to the US Military?

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that. I'm in a similar boat with two projects put on indefinite hold. I'm not on salary as an owner but rely on billable hours.

RayRay10, jcf and dobro1229 like this.
  15. dobro1229

Thanks. I still feel lucky I’m not yet in a for sure unemployed situation and thankfully my wife is likely staying employed. If we make it out of this with our health and most of our savings still in tact I’ll consider it a win.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unemployment may be an even smaller fraction of your salary. For example in NY it's about $400/week max, and florida about $300

RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not meaningless. We know that the tests South Korea used which also had some false results but enabled them to test way more people rapidly were still helpful despite their higher number of false results.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. jcf

jcf Member

Don’t know if this helps, but you might want to check it out. My son is a waiter. His employer has been great about continuing to pay the staff while they are closed. But instead of getting tips they increased his hourly wage but he is making much less than he used to.

he applied for unemployment based on lower pay and just got accepted for a little over 300/week from state and 600/week supplement from fed plus he still gets his reduced pay from his employer.

you might check it out to see if reduction in pay or hours will qualify you.

20. jcf

jcf Member

Did you look at paycheck protection program as independent contractor or sole proprietor?