1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Old rich sending people out to die. Credit them for consistency by not only sending out the young.

Bill can eat **** and die in a fire.

#3561 Invisible Fan, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

howbout brown minorities?

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's amazing Dims can get under fire for "rationing" and D̻̯̤̪̻̓̎̐̇́̆̅̎̄͡Ę͉̩̳̺̺͇̎̄͊̓̔̇̿̕͢Ả̸͍͖̠̲̩̝̼̈́͂́͗T̴̡̢͉̯̭̝̟̩̉͗̔̅̿̋̑̃͘͡Ĥ̛͈̰̲̲͚̪̩̭͂̒͊̈͜ͅ P̡̨̧̢͈͎͓̠̪̀͑͂͜͠͠Ä̛͇̲̖͇̗̳̥̳̥́̉̒̐̌͢͠͠N̸̡̳̲͚̩̩̆̃̈́̌͝Ę̴̢̺̜͉̠̭̪̟̆͌̂̄̽̀̇͞L̡̛̩̗̘͓͑͊͋̾̍̓S͖̘͈̦͉̽̿́̄̋͒̀͟͟, whereas Billy Boy can get claps and back slaps for telling the old and weak to **** off and die.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Finding room for the dead in New York.

from the BBC:

Photos have emerged of workers in hazmat outfits burying coffins in a mass grave in New York City.

[​IMG]

Drone footage showed workers using a ladder to descend into the huge pit where the caskets were stacked.

[​IMG]

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It’s already horrible to die without any loved one. Now this.

Funeral homes said they are overwhelmed and can’t take any more bodies for weeks. I thought the city said they would temporarily bury body individual. Looks like they can’t even do that. Remember that there are also thousand of covid19 death at home that aren’t part of the official count because they don’t test the dead to confirm.

Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

who cares those people are on their "last leg" anyway - Bill O

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

More republican truth-bending re: vote by mail...

8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to post this in the Hangout thread but this is likely going to stir controversy. Sweden has taken a different strategy than most countries and relied upon voluntary limits rather than mandated shut downs. For awhile it looked like that was working but recently Sweden's mortality rate has jumped past it's neighboring countries and they might have to scrap that strategy. This is an important case study to look at regarding calls for lifting stay at home orders and also in regard to the question about what might've happened if we didn't put in those orders.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gabrie...us-strategy-is-it-a-big-mistake/#5c83bd0a228a

Sweden Continues With Controversial Coronavirus Strategy: Is It A Big Mistake?
    Gabriel LeighContributor

There’s a growing media chorus pointing out that Sweden’s relatively relaxed approach to public restrictions amid the coronavirus outbreak is beginning to look like a mistake. One main factor is that Sweden’s death rate is continuing to climb more quickly than that of its Nordic neighbors. The rate of intensive care admissions at hospitals is also outpacing the likes of Denmark, Norway and Finland, as pointed out in a daily briefing compiled by Swedbank.

Last weekend, as pointed out in this article, there was a palpable feeling that tighter limits on movement might be on their way if those numbers kept growing. But the numbers haven’t apparently reached levels high enough to worry the Public Health Agency, it seems. And life in Sweden nearly a week later looks much the same.

In Stockholm, a string of sunny early spring days over the Easter holidays have seen plenty of people out to enjoy it. Some appear to keep a distance from those around them, while others make no such efforts. Many grocery stores have now installed plexiglass barriers between cashier and customer, and have put tape down on the floor to indicate how far apart each person in the queue should stand. At the national liquor store Systembolaget, a clerk holds people back at the entrance to make sure there aren’t too many people shopping at any given time. Streets downtown remain quieter than usual but there are people out, going to restaurants and so on. And if you speak to people here, many still say they have faith in the government’s approach.

Jeff Mold, an American living and working in Stockholm, says he’s happy with the Swedish strategy. “As long as at-risk people are being adequately protected from exposure and cared for post-exposure then it seems wise to allow people to carry out normal activities – as long as they’re aware of basic guidelines,” he says. “I think that for myself and my friends, we’re being cautious and avoiding situations where we might be exposed to those at risk. And I get the sense that many don't need to be forced to behave accordingly, as they feel a social responsibility and are generally well-educated about risks.”

“I think it’s the right approach,” says Gabriel Mellqvist, a journalist at Dagens Industri. “I’d like to hope so, anyway. I like the fact that you can still choose for yourself. I prefer to have a ‘soft’ instruction that hopefully most people follow.”

That soft approach can have its drawbacks though, as Mellqvist points out, when it means the messaging is not entirely clear. “In Sweden we have this soft messaging and it gives a lot of room for interpretation and makes it confusing for some people.” He notes that there are reports of people gathering in large numbers at some vacation spots (link in Swedish) this week during the Easter break, for example. Heading to crowded holiday areas clearly goes against the guidelines, but it’s not technically illegal and no one will be fined or jailed for doing so, unlike in some other countries.

That’s down to a longstanding Swedish tradition of trust in the government. “Not everyone’s buying it, but big numbers are,” says Mellqvist. “We have a long tradition of doing what you’re told. And there’s a kind of non-alarmist principle which is deeply rooted in society.”

Peter Engström is CEO of Arctic Bath, a hotel and spa that just opened this winter in Harads, just below the Arctic Circle in northern Sweden. COVID-19 is putting a great deal of pressure on the tourism sector, but he feels the government is managing things correctly. “We have good faith in Sweden’s strategy to control the situation,” he says. “I truly believe it will be easier to to recover as we haven’t closed down our communities entirely. We hope that Sweden will open up even more during the summer. Vacations abroad will probably wait until winter for most people in the world, but we hope we’ll be able to attract more Swedish guests because of this.”

Tighter limits on movement and gatherings may still come – authorities have maintained that is always a possibility. It all depends on the numbers. Paul W. Franks, Professor of Genetic Epidemiology at Lund University, notes in this text that there are plenty of arguments both for and against the Swedish approach. If things go well, it could be that while Sweden experiences more deaths over a shorter time, that could also mean fewer additional outbreaks in months ahead. As Franks puts it: “there is no knowing at this stage how the interventions adopted by Sweden and the other Nordic nations will play out. But within weeks, this will start to become clear. From this, we will learn much about the delicate balance between strategic under- and overreaction in the face of an infectious disease pandemic.”

For now there seems to be a fairly even split among the public between those that see doom just beyond the horizon, and those that feel pretty good about it. The week ahead may reveal which way Sweden is heading.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would hope we never hear "Death Panels" again but I'm pretty sure the next Democratic administration that pushes a major health care reform we will hear the Hannitys and Glenn Becks yelling about "Death Panels" and how the Democrats want to kill Grandma..

12. NewRoxFan

What bad luck to kick off a new league and then COVID-19...

RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's times like this that I wish I lived on a ranch of 100 acres in Montana, and could just spend the day horeseback riding in the beautiful outdoors.

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Are they putting brown minorities into death camps?

15. NewRoxFan

Jeez, hatred SMH...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I was having this debate with my friend yesterday. Would be interesting to see the result, if Sweden does hang on to the plan. Sweden vs Denmark is a good case study. Current cast fatality rate is ~8% for Sweden vs ~4% for Denmark.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

what is all that background ?

18. NewRoxFan

19. NewRoxFan

wut?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's similar technological contact tracing that is being used elsewhere, like in SK. We need this tool, frankly, as part of the temporary solution for containment once we start to open back up. But while it's optional here (opt-in), I don't think it was optional in SK, so we might not get as much mileage out of it.

It's too bad that Gov wasn't involved (or maybe it's good given this admin) in this because oversight is seriously needed to protect privacy here. But since this is an Apple, Google partnership, I do have some confident that they will "do the right thing" for privacy (as in, they keep each other honest).

RayRay10 likes this.