1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx: Rockets will go after Durant hard in 2016

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Feb 18, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I wonder how much the impending Durant sweepstakes played into the Rockets' low profile day today. I'm guessing we are holding on to our assets (i.e. the player we will pick at 13, DMo, TJones, Capela) to assemble a Godfather offer for Durant when he tells OKC it is time to trade him. Throw Ariza and Papa into that package for salary matching.

Could happen as soon as this summer, when OKC gets sweep by Golden State in the first round and Brooks is fired.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Are there other big name free agents in 2016?

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm guessing it played a large role. There are other factors. The concern over Dwight's knee. The fear that Dragic would bolt obviously killed any serious interest Morey had in trading for him. And saving some money to resign Brewer and Smith(I hope) was on their minds.

I just hope Morey and Les aren't falling into the same stupid trap that screwed them over last summer with Melo and then Bosh. Don't put all your eggs in the Durant basket. There are plenty of other teams(including his current one) that have a better shot at signing him than we do. Please don't throw away the 2015-16 season just to go after him in free agency. Especially when our most pressing need remains a damn point guard.

4. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lebron....
    Howard(Pending)
    Wade
    Noah
    Hibbert
    Kobe

5. JoeBarelyCares

Add Prigioni's nonguaranteed salary to that trade package, as well:

David Weiner
    ‏@BimaThug
    ...Between K-Pap & Prigioni, Rockets will have >$6.53M in non-g'teed salary to use in trades all this summer (neither has early g'tee date).

6. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

OKC just got better. They could be the 8th seed that wins it all. If that happens, Durant ain't going anywhere.

7. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He isn't going anyplace period and neither is AD.

8. count_dough-ku

I hope Morey can swing something on draft night since I seriously doubt the Rockets hang onto whomever they take with the NOP pick. And I hope he lands a PG cuz I really don't want them handing an extension to Bev.

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Christ, if we wasted another season of possible contention in the name of chasing another superstar who won't come here, then I'm jumping off the Morey bandwagon. He's done a lot of great things for this team- but he's too ****ing fixated on building a three star team.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you look at the trades, I don't think you can come to this conclusion.

#1 - He was willing to trade assets, and more assets than Phoenix got, for Dragic.... UNTIL Dragic clearly said I'm not resigning there. We've been the beneficiary of FAs leaving their teams, and have seen where that has left them (Lakers), AND have been burned by Parsons. AND.... AND keep in mind the Asik experience. A guy who doesn't really want to be playing on your squad is as much a distraction as anything.

#2 - The other point guards that got moved, got moved for decent return. Knight? Please, Jason Kidd got EXACTLY what he wanted in MCW and Ennis. Rockets didn't have that to offer. Reggie Jackson? Thunder got great return... and for that matter, the Pistons got exactly what they wanted in return for DJ by getting Jackson.

#3 - Isiah Thomas is the only one where you kind of scratch your head. The Suns didn't really get much... EXCEPT I'd note that even though Thornton isn't great, at least he's CLEARLY a SG, and not a PG. However, I think DM probably just didn't pursue Thomas hard because he's a nice punch of scoring at times on a decent contract, but is horrible defensively... this is the one where DM probably thought about flexibility. It's a great contract, but it is still a long-term contract.

11. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

**** this......

Rockets will go after Christ Bosh...

Rockets will go after Camelo Anthony...

Rockets will go after Goran Dragic...

Oh, wait, Rockets maybe will lose Harden....

12. gogispade

gogispade Member

yes murey will go after him, but we will probably get gerald wallace or trevor booker

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rockets will go after James Harden

Rockets will go after Dwight Howard

????

14. count_dough-ku

Thomas is signed for 2 more years. That screws with the 2016 Durant fantasy of Morey's. It's probably the same reason we never bothered going after Jarrett Jack who if I'm not mistaken also has 2 years left on his contract.

I really hope they drop this Durant/3rd superstar fetish and try to fill out the roster this upcoming offseason. We badly need a PG and a backup center. But in the meantime, I get why Morey didn't go for broke today.

15. JoeBarelyCares

What if Morey has intel that Howard most likely won't make it to the playoffs this year . . . .

16. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

They'd better get him after all of this bull**** waiting.

17. hakeemthagreat

There were reports that Morey wasn't "high" on Thomas smh. Sounds like pure arrogance to me. Morey's fixated on international talent. Maybe because the Rockets are primarily known to appeal to a international variety of fans (Yao Ming, Jeremy Lin, Scola, D-Mo etc..). I honestly think though Dragic's talented, the REAL draw to him was his marketability internationally for us. Even though Isiah Thomas has put up the same numbers as Dragic Morey wasn't ever interested primarily because we can't market him overseas like Dragic. If we REALLY wanted Thomas we could've had him. But what does Morey do? Bypasses Thomas and gets a washed up International PG in Priogni. Priogni? Who?

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. That is exactly why he didn't go after those guys.

The question is do those guys significantly move the needle? I'm not sold they do. IT has never made the playoffs, is 5'9, is only great on one end of the floor, etc.

Jack just isn't that good. He's an average PG. he might be a tad better than PBev, but at least Bev can hang his hat on defense to an extent. What is Jack really good at?

Dragic is a better fit than Thomas with this squad. Thomas is a great punch of scoring off the bench. I'd love to have him, for free, without a long term contract... but am I willing to wait on something better over the summer than trade real assets for Thomas when he doesn't make you that much better? No.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, and I'm controlling myself here, that's absurd. Do you know anything about Slovenia? Most Houstonians had never heard of the tiny (but beautiful) country until we traded for Dragic. You seriously think Morey got him for his marketability internationally?

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.