1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Couldn't agree more.

I think Morey's torn between Rondo and Rubio. He understands that Howard and Harden are in win-now mode and that the team needs a floor general to run the team and control the tempo for 48 minutes. As much as I love Bev, he's not capable of controlling the team's tempo as well as put our two main stars in position to score in an efficient way.

From all the moves this off-season, we are really trying shore up our defensive front. Rondo or Rubio gives us this with Bev coming off the bench. Rondo looks more enticing with all his past accomplishments but it would be a gamble because of his past injuries. Rubio on the other hand is very capable of duplicating what Rondo has done in the past and is only 23.

Their shooting % is not a concern for a team that can score at a high rate. We just need to make sure that we balance it out on the defensive end this year and be able to control tempo and be able to hold/sustain or increase leads which is why we are in dire need of a true PG.

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

James Harden last season Turnover %: 15.0

Ricky Rubio last season Turnover %: 21.8

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

In this turn to Rubes thread, just one small??? point is that Rubes and Bev cannot share a backcourt as Dragic/Bled or so many other tandems in today's NBA.

4. Zbed

Zbed Member

I think if we do get Rubio it would grow on me just like the Ariza signing.

5. tzou88

tzou88 Member

All this talk about Rubio, how "real" is this ?

6. CertifiedTroll

This is internet real.

7. basketballholic

I don't know why not. Bev is 38% on spot-up 3-balls.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The first time we signed him or the second time we signed him. I sure hope it doesn't turn out like the first time.

9. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Twolves will probably be rebuilding or retooling...if they have a fire sale...I'd take the following with Rubio:

JJ Barea
    Mo Williams
    Kyrylo Fesenko
    Chase Budinger
    hell Kevin Martin (contract looks scary)

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm just going to add one thing. Anyone that tries to convince anyone that Rubio has this untapped potential and uses his age to create an argument if simply desperate for some sort of strong point to their argument, but in reality this is actually a weakness.

Ricky Rubio started playing in the Euro-league (2nd most competitive BBall league in the world) at age SIXTEEN.

That's almost a decade of being taught under the best coaching, player development, & learning from the best players in the world.

Rubio recently hired one of the best shooting coaches in the world to work with him all Summer and it didn't even seem to make a dent in his shooting in the world cup. In fact there was a game where Rubio was 1 for 7 FROM THE FREE THROW LINE. Rubio's shooting isn't just a problem.... its something that NOBODY should have to bank on getting fixed ever.

Rubio does do some things at an elite level, but you have to again circle back around to fit.

Do the Rockets need someone that complements Harden & Howard more & makes their life easier or do they need someone else that does what Rubio does (pushes the ball in transition, plays the passing lane, makes quick/difficult passes... often in transition)???

Banking on growth from Rubio would be an incorrect approach given his vast experience professionally. There is enough data now to know exactly what Rubio can bring this team.

The answer to the question has to be what he does now, is it enough to warrant a large contract(assuming Morey is getting him with the notion that they will work WITH FEGAN to get him an appropriate contract & not end up in another Bledsoe/Suns situation)..........., gutting all the Rockets assets(that might be able to net them another type of elite player in the near future), and locking this team's roster up long term essentially????

I personally would take Rubio if he was gifted to us, but I'm not about to gut the team and make a financial commitment to him long term. That's a bad, bad idea.

*The Rockets can replace what Lin brought the past two years with a much much more viable option. Lin is a completely different player than Rubio regardless. Lin's role is more viable for a traditional "Irrational Confidence" kind of guy. Lin was far from a play-making PG. The Nuggets aren't giving Nate Robinson a max deal, and even the Knicks are ridiculed for giving JR Smith the contract they gave him.

11. basketballholic

There was a rumor that the Bulls were interested in trading Dunleavy and Snell for Martin. If that's the case, then those are decent assets to send to PHX for Bledsoe and help us not to have to take on Martin. In fact, I question the legitimacy of that rumor because if it is true than Minny should have already jumped on it.

Also....Budinger COULD be bought out of his option for 2015. We could then sign him to the remainder of the MLE IF we moved Kostas (unsigned) to PHX as part of a Rubio/Bledsoe deal.

It's obvious that Minny wants to clear cap and moving Martin and Bud are important them for future cap flexibility.

12. cyberx

cyberx Member

Hardest worker this offseason I am told has been Pat Bev.

Guy has been on the practice court 24/7.

Kostas as well. No sign of Dwight yet.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not surprised. Good job, Bev!

14. cyberx

cyberx Member

Also - No sign of Ariza.

15. CertifiedTroll

He is doing bicep curls in the squat rack.

16. dobro1229

*Also (almost done... sorry).... go back and watch the games vs. the T-Wolves last year if you kept them DVR'ed like I do. I watched two games yesterday afternoon (after the 3rd interception Fitzpatrick threw I had to do something), and I just can't get over how anyone can call Ricky Rubio a good defensive player.

There is reason why Patrick Beverley had some great offensive output vs. the Wolves this year. That's because Rubio plays the passing lanes and completely avoids his man at times.

The Rockets seem to know this in the scouting report and got Beverley wide open shots from the corner who whole first half of the games they played.

11/23 - 5 of 8 from 3 for .625%
    2/10 - 4 of 8 from 3 for .50%
    3/20- 4 of 7 from 3 for .571%

See a trend here guys. I know this is a small sample size, and doesn't tell us anything about how he guards the rest of the league, and how the rest of the league plays him, but it does tell us that the Rockets obviously has the scouting report on Rubio & the T-Wolves, and if they can play to hurt them using Ricky's weaknesses defensively, other teams are more than capable of hurting the Rockets if they acquired Rubio.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

What do you mean? He has been in Houston the past two weeks according to his instagram posts.

18. cyberx

cyberx Member

Gym - no gym at Rox facility.

19. dobro1229

FWIW

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...to-take-leadership-role-in-second-5760538.php

20. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

Hes always been an 80% FT shooter throughout his career so i dont know why you bring that up....but regarding him replacing Lin , its nott really about the role hes replacing , its about what lin and parsons gave us as players (Someone who can handle the ball, and be a playmaker...we have noone on the roster that can do that but harden, that just wont work)

Many ppl also feel we will be "gutting" our roster to acquire him, but that certainly isnt the case unless beverly was also included which i just dont see as of now (but could happen).. Jones, No pick, cannon/johnson, maybe kosta

None of those assets did anything for us last season except for TJ, and although hes a young promising prospect he cant shoot either but is much more replaceable just based on skill set than someone like rubio...

Turnovers were our biggest weakness last year even with parsons and lin helping james out, and 3 pt shooting was our biggest strength....but guess what everyone wants to add on the strength and as it seems add on the weakness too...makes NO SENSE...you need balance!!
    No body said hes the perfect fit but as far as options and availability we would be lucky to add someone of his talents and i have my fingers crossed that we do

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.