1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

He has completely changed his argument.. I sigged his original commentary (that Reggie Evans and Tyler Hansborough would be better --> he has yet to admit he was wrong on that count). His argument is now 'well, Jones won't be an all-star, so I'm right unless he becomes an all star OR dominates a playoff series'.

Unfortunately (for him), every game it is looking more and more likely that Jones dominates a playoff series (like goes 15-8 or something). But then the argument will shift to 'I was right because he wasn't player of the series'.

Let's face the facts, nobody is claiming Jones is going to be an all-star (except Drexler, I heard him say it today :rolleyes: ) - but even if Jones were MVP of the NBA, balcoholic will be claiming he's right and everyone else is wrong.
    I guess we need to start our own fake insider pay for information crap? Maybe once we do that he'll respect us?

And, apologies to anyone who thinks I make fun of him too much. I can't help myself. It's a free shot every single time he posts.... I don't think he cares, but if he every got mortally offended and quit the bbs (we can only dream), it would be a much better place to talk actual basketball!!

2. basketballholic

That was "variance". We went super small. Terrence was the 5 in a super small lineup. It worked for a few minutes. WILL.NOT.WORK.FOR.LONG.STRETCHES.OF.GAMES. Especially playoff games.

Give McHale credit. That was a great coaching move, to go super small like that. Because no combination of DMo/Terrence/Smith/Dorsey was going to get us back on top of Memphis. The only shot we had was to go super small like that.

But....that's a gimmick that if you play extended minutes with that lineup, Memphis would kill us. Gotta understand context. A few minutes does not a season or a playoff series make. Won't work against Memphis or any other playoff team long-term.

We gotta get Dwight back and then sort out the other bigs at the 4 and backup slots after that. Otherwise....we gonna go down early.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

You're assuming a lot. He played well at the end of the game. Never suggested we should play him at C with 4 smalls around him for long stretches.

He had a decent game overall before that stretch in the 4th anyway, if you want to pretend it didn't happen due to a small lineup.

4. basketballholic

He had a decent game. Yes. More than that. He had a good game. I thought he played as well as he could possibly play. Hustled. Ran. Moved. Great hands catching all those balls in a congested paint area and finishing those plays. Played decent defense on the ball. (Not great off the ball.) Over all he was Outstanding.

It's not enough. If Terrence is starting at PF for us in the playoffs we're going to have trouble getting out of the first round. Mark that down.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

The fact that he believes jones will be out of the league soon is ridiculous. Especially for a player having a huge impact and a solid contributor on a playoff team already particulary at a young Age

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

If bevelery is the starting pg for us in the playoffs were going to have trouble. Mark that down also?

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Why?

Based on his production THIS YEAR, what will be the issue?
    Cite statistics and examples.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

And will it be more, or less, trouble than if JSmoove or DMo were starting?

9. basketballholic

I didn't say that nor do I believe that. I've made it real clear what I believe about him YOLO. Quit distorting and lying about what I have said. And talk about basketball.

For the record, once again, I have said that I think it is 50/50 whether he is in the NBA five years from now. I can't say he'll be in the league. I can't say he'll be out of the league.

Quit lying and distorting.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Im not the only one referring to this from prior discussions about tj

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Every team in last year's conference finals ran a starter worse than Jones is right now, it's fairly common because usually teams that far in (except the Spurs) are really top heavy.

12. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Exactly. Jones is putting up all-star numbers right now since he's been in the starting lineup.

13. Aleron

The thing this team lacks is the Boris Diaw, the guy who plays in a very different way you can throw in when the matchup calls for it.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

One could make a fair argument that Splitter is not as good as Jones....

The West is fairly PF heavy though - so one can see the concern. However the reason for hope is Jones with a 34.2% defensive FG% this season. Go at him. It hasn't been blowing out as the season progressed, and makes him a handy 1-2 punch with J Smooove at the PF spot (or next to each other).

The only reason to freak out about our bigs is if Howard doesn't come back. And if he doesn't come back, we aren't going to make a significant splash in the playoffs. But if he does, things look fairly rosy.

15. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

We'll have a lot of trouble regardless, the west is stacked this year.

I don't think Jones starting over DMo lowers our chances any though.

16. Aleron

He is better than Splitter, but the Spurs aren't a "top heavy" team was all i was saying (by top heavy i mean 90% of their talent in 3 or 4 guys), the biggest problem Jones had was he was weaksauce, he couldn't defend a post up without using 2 hands, which meant he either fouled or got backed under the rim, since bulking up he seems more than capable of holding off with one hand, in the playoffs it was doubly worse because he was trying to guard someone whose allowed to shoulder charge you.

17. basketballholic

You're the one doing it here and now. Quit distorting and lying about what I wrote.

Talk basketball and you won't have to worry about this crap.

18. basketballholic

Go back and watch the video of the Portland series. Think about what has changed. Remember Asik is no longer here. Then convince yourself that Jones starting alongside Dwight doesn't lower our chances of winning any versus DMo starting alongside Dwight and Jones/Smith anchoring a great backup unit.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

DMo FG% against this season 46
    Jones FG% against this season 34

Stop living in the past.

If we started DMo last season against Aldrige, he gets demolished.
    Jones FG% against last season was 45.8 (ie, lower than DMo's this season). Is it so hard to see the improvement?

Evaluating NBA talent really isn't your strong point is it??

20. Aleron

Jones looks more like the Hulk and less like Bruce Banner so Aldridge can't back him down like a little girl?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.