1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuttino can you please not speak to the media?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Scarface, Mar 9, 2001.

1. hedster

hedster Member

Why is there a problem with what Mobes said? He gave plenty of props to Hakeem and complimented him greatly. Without Hakeem it is Cats and Steve's team as far as offense goes. The only thing Cat did wrong was not include Moe in his equation. If him and Steve take all games this weekend all the power to him.

------------------

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I have to strongly agree with what the Freak said. It's so funny-- people look for things wrong with Cuttino. He is trying to take a leadership role. If this was Steve saying it everybody would love it and talk about his great maturity. But with Cuttino, so many people just try and find a way to turn what he says/does against him. Unbelievable.

Originally posted by University Blue:

This great basketball analysis brought to you by the same guy who thinks Jason Williams is better than Jason Kidd and that Allan Houston is better than Ray Allen.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Join the Official CC.net NBA Sim League!
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000201.html

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Cuttino is right. He and Steve ARE going to have to carry the Rockets to have any chance at all. They are going to have to play collectively amazing basketball. No games of 4-20 will be allowed, for either player.

------------------
    I'm the most positive Rocket fan in the world.

4. a.k.a vince

a.k.a vince Member

Mobley can say whatever he wants becuase he backs it up!!!

Politically correct is for the birds and cry babies!! If you don't like it, do something about it or shut the F^*$K up!!!

Cuttino is DA MAN!!!!

------------------

5. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Steve and Mobley are carring the team?...NO!
    Steve is carring the team?...YES!

Averaging 19.4 ppg and being the second best scorer of the team don't make Mobley the leader of the team. IMO Steve and the Dream are the leaders. Cat, Shandon, and Mo are the supporting cast and they're all vital to the team. w/o Shandon or Taylor the Rockets could be under .500 this season.
    Now the Dream is injured, STEVE and the whole team need to step their game up.
    I don't like what Mobley said

"But it's really up to Steve and me to carry us."

Somebody saying that the Cat is the second best scorer so it's true that he's carring the team. Hey, the Hawks was led by Motombo because he was their best defender; and Shandon is our best defender. now ask yourself what if Shandon says "it's really up to Steve and me to carry the team" Do you agree?

------------------
    Yes I'm new here

6. kubli

kubli Member

Cuttino is the scapegoat of the Rockets. Everyone likes to bash him and people mostly say he doesn't get the team involved enough. That's why he's the SG and not the PG, getting people involved is Steve's job. What Mobley could improve on is passing out of double-teams, that's my only complaint with him.

------------------

7. The Voice of Reason

aparently no one read my thread [​IMG]

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball
    www.hanta-force.com

8. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Kubli, Cuttino passes out of double-teams better than Steve does. Right when the double comes, the ball is being swung. Steve just dribbles and somehow gets out of the double-team.
    H R, if shandon was the best defender in the league, like Mt M

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

9. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Sorry, clicked the wrong thing, Mt Motombo is the best defender in the league(two-time defensive player of the year). If shandon was the same, then he could say "me and steve" He is a good and hopefully he will get that respect by making an all-defensefive team.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I guess that was Francis scoring 16 points in the 4th quarter to help beat the Clipper huh? Some people just hate the guy so much that they don't want to give Cuttino ANY credit! Francis isn't carrying the team by himself PERIOD! Anybody who has looked at the Rockets games wouldn't say that it is Francis by himself. And I love Shandon, but there is a big difference between a great one-on-one defender like Shandon, and Mutombo who can literally change an entire team's offense and game plan with his shot-blocking and interior defense. And if Shandon said the same thing he would be wrong because Shandon isn't averaging 19 points a game, and isn't hitting big shots almost everynight like Francis and Mobley are. And the person who said that Mobley is an average bench player needs to get their head examine. I mean this is so crazy.

------------------
    Rocks2001 in disguise. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited March 10, 2001).]

11. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Those who are defending what Mobley said have never been a part of a team. Regardless of what you do in life if your on a team its the team that wins and not the individual. You don't hear this crap from Steve because he is so much more mature than Cuttino. You never heard MJ say "yeah Luc Longley being injured means me and Scottie have to carry us" he might have thought that way but he would never have said anything like that.

Why was it that Portland didn't win a championship in the past 3 years? Collective ego's and too many stupid comments to the media about each other.

I don't hate Cuttino, nor do I think anyone on this site hates Cuttino. I just don't think he is mature enough to understand what it takes to win.

As far as what I said about Malone and Barkley, my point was that these guys would not have let Cuttino do such stupid things on the court. Do you think Karl Malone for one second would allow Cuttino to be so reckless? Hell no his country ass would have been on him so quick that Cuttino would have requested a trade or got with the program.

As much as I hate Utah there is one thing that they do that I wish the Rockets would copy. The Jazz have a professional attitude to them. I don't know how to put it in words so hopefully you guys will understand what I'm saying. Utah doesn't take crap from nobody and they have a steady focass throughout the season. It doesn't matter who plays for them, either they learn the Utah way or they are out. Take for example John Starks and Olden Polynece, these two were very reckless prior to coming to Utah but when they began playing for the Jazz they had to quickly adapt or they wouldn't last.

I only see this attitude from Dream and Shandon. Steve is learning and Mo is still trying to get Clipper land out of his head but Cuttino seems like he trys to be Steve too much. I don't know what it is but Cuttino needs to realize that this team has 12 active players on it and all 12 potentialy can play.

Its not a three man show.

Some people on this board watch basketball more for excitement than to actualy be an educated fan and it really shows sometimes.

------------------
    ``It's bigger than chalupas,''.....Wesley Person

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Scarface : Lets get off the high horse here for a while, there's no reason for you to be condescending.

Most people I know have been on some sort of team at one point in life. And one thing remained constant about those teams, they had leaders and everyone knew who they were.

Cuttino and Steve are the leaders of this team, they are the two players that will take us wherever we go.

Cuttino knows he is a leader on this team, he knows that in the absence of Hakeem he and Steve will have to carry the Rockets. He spoke the truth.

I, for one, am glad that he has so readily accepted his role as leader on this team.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

13. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

I don't see any problem with what Cat said. He is a major factor for the Rockets and that cannot be denied. Good leaders like to be the ones to step up their game when another important team member goes down.

One thing that no one has really mentioned is how difficult it can be for some people to be interviewed. It's easy for many of us to read what someone says publicly and criticize their wording about what they meant, because we have the time to think about it. I've noticed that Cat is very soft-spoken and almost shy during pre and post game interviews (very much UN-like the way he plays his game) Very few players are very comfortable in those situations. It's difficult to say the right thing when you are put on the spot, and that's why so many players use cliches like "good team win" - "we just try to believe in what coach tells us" ... Of course they are thinking about things completely different and more personal about their own game. I know that whenever I speak publicly, I find myself saying things that come out bad even though they are very innocent and well intended in my head.

I say give him a break and let him do what he is good at and that's play basketball. I'm glad to have him on my team even though it can be frustrating at times. I like to pay more attention to the big shots that he makes though.

------------------

14. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

Taken from a truly objective standpoint, the quote isn't that bad at all. Charles says 20 worse things every day before he eats breakfast !

I'll give you one thing though -- Mobley showed real stupidity when he tried to follow-up dunk Shandon's shot in Atlanta. Mobley has mad skills, but he has to realize that this is NOT not the summer league in DC !

------------------
    word to your mother

15. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

Is that an insult? Basketball is fun, it IS excitement. I have enough drudgery in my life without hearing that I don't appreciate the game at a 'proper' level. I actually agree with some of the things you are trying to say, but check your sermons and superiority complex at the DOOR !

Please do not pollute CC.net with asinine comments like this again.

------------------
    word to your mother

16. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Cuttino is not in anyway a leader on this team!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not understand where you get this.

Hakeem is the team leader along with Steve Francis. Cuttino might have the ball in his hands and is our second highes scorer but that does not make him our leader!? A leader is someone who is the guy who says what they are going to do and basicaly dictates how the others feel as a team. Hakeem and Steve are those two people. Being a leader does not mean downgrading a team members contributions.

This is not a mature person talking. Thats the point I was trying to make and truly the only thing I have against Mobley.

As far as my comment about some of the CC.net goers I will stand by that to the day I die. Yes basketball is entertainment, but somepeople watch it only because of excitement and there is no true fan in them. They are here only because Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley are in town. These are the same fans who never watched in the late 80's early 90's when we were so bad and boring. My point is some of these guys don't give a damn about the rest of the team just as long as Cuttino or Steve have their highlight real dunks if we are winning even better if we lose its because someone else didn't pull their weight. I didn't call anyone out because I don't want to deal with the name calling and what not. So if these statements offend anyone then just don't read my posts anymore its that simple.

------------------
    ``It's bigger than chalupas,''.....Wesley Person

17. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Because he is the leader of this team, along with Francis.

------------------
    The Rockets will be the NBA champions. Believe.

18. pooh222

pooh222 Member

I have to agree with Scareface. Don't get me wrong, Cuttino is a very big part of what the Rockets do, but as far as being the leaders out there, it's Steve and Hakeem of late. As far as the comment made by Cuttino, it's no different than many comments made by Cuttino throughout this year. Cuttino always comments on him and Steve being the leaders and they carry the team. You don't ever hear Steve saying comments like that, he lets his playing do the talking. Cuttino is a very good player, but that's it. Steve is one of the better all around guards in the league, and Hakeem, a future hall of famer, has been showing flashes of old before he got injured. To me right now, Steve is number one, Hakeem number two, and Cuttino number three as far as their role on this team.

------------------

19. RockenRam5

RockenRam5 Member

Cat MIGHT not be a leader for the first three quarters of the game, but when it comes to the fourth quarter, he IS our leader. He takes over the game sometimes single handedly leads us to victory. If he is not a leader, then why does Rudy always give him the ball at the end of the game. At the end of the game, Cat always has the ball(s) to shoot, and that makes him a leader.

------------------
    "GiddyUP!!!"
    Krammer from Seinfeld

20. University Blue

It's sad when you, The Cat, are reduced to passive-agressive, personal attacks when you are un-able to argue your point.

Somewhere between writing your first post and someone agreeing with what you said, you must have developed the delusion that your basketball analysis is always correct.

Appropriate user-name, by the way.

University (This Ain't Beaumont) Blue

------------------
    Not only have the Bryce Drew and Jason Williams bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.