1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. SuraGotMadHops

I'm not one to celebrate a man losing his job, but he was in my dog house the moment he showed up to Spring Training looking like the Goodyear blimp. I don't know what his regimen was but as pro athlete the minimum of your responsibilities is to just be in shape. He has been making close to $600K the last three years and will likely get picked up by another club, he is still going to be living the dream playing minor league ball somewhere, and even if he isn't, he still has a great head start to the next chapter of his life as a coach somewhere (but not Strength and Conditioning coach, obviously).

Cuts, moving, trades, its all part of the big league baseball life, and he's been paid handsomely for it. He's a big boy, so no I do really feel bad for the guy.

2. right1

right1 Member

He posted a pic of his offseason workout which seemed to be intense powerlifting. I think he got some very bad advice from a personal trainer. A guy with his build needs to be swimming, running and doing yoga and that's about it. He had enough natural power. He has lost all flexibility and range of motion which has ruined his entire ability to hit a baseball. Maybe next offseason he'll make better choices and lose 30-50 lbs.

3. SemisolidSnake

I hope he finds a place somewhere else that can work with him to sort out his problems, and he can have a productive career. It's the right move for the team, and it still hurts his teammates and him on a personal level. This team is a hard team to stay on; it doesn't mean he's won't fit in somewhere else.

As for the Kemp v. Straw argument also going on in this thread, as much as I love Tony Kemp, it's just so hard to find something consistent to grab on to with him. If you consider all his individual successes with the team, of course he has a much bigger pile than Straw, but it's just so hard to find some sort of pattern or trend with Kemp. With Straw, you KNOW he's fast. You've got that. It's a specialty you can count on. And the team needs that extra option, because it's the worst baserunning team in the majors.

I hope all of these guys find success, but I can't guarantee it'll be on this stacked team, and I'm okay with that. And I'll miss them just for being good guys.

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so was he about the same or slimmer last year?

5. HTM

HTM Member

He might get a lot of sh*t here but life is good for Tyler White. 28 years old and if he was smart he should have set himself up for life financially. It's unclear to me what his compensation was because he yo-yo'ed so much and idk how that works but yea, $500k sitting in a brokerage account earning 8% starting in your mid 20's should do it.

raining threes likes this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Not to derail the thread, but if you know a way to consistently make 8%, you should share that (esp. with such a tiny seed fund). And $500*.08 = $40K pre-tax, pre-inflation (assuming your 8% is nominal) ... that is far from 'set for life.'

bobrek likes this.
  7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I am not one to call out another poster making a completely bullsh*t post, but ...

8. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Tyler White has a thyroid disorder that makes it incredibly hard for him to manage his weight.

#208 MrBear1, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Says who (not me...I was speculating in an earlier post)? Interestingly, I dug and found this article below which talks a lot about his draft position and addressing his weight. Thyroid never comes up. It's a good read. Apparently, the Tyler White Experiment did...in fact...fail. But, nobody (the Astros...at least) thought it would back in 2016 when this article was written.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story...-to-the-majors-is-why-we-love-baseball-040316

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  10. MrBear1

His personal trainer told me

11. MrBear1

12. SuraGotMadHops

Well if you paid attention to the rest of my post you wouldn't be so quick to say that. I'm not celebrating that he lost his job, I said all things considered I do not necessary feel bad for him that he DFA'd and that it's part of the big league life.

13. HTM

HTM Member

I'm not saying he could just live off that starting immediately. I guess I'll have to be more careful with my "set for life" language - while captain nitpick is around.

Just invest in an index fund like the S&P 500.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/042415/what-average-annual-return-sp-500.asp

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/investing/average-stock-market-return/

If you have that kind of money invested in the market in your mid/late 20's, you've set yourself up pretty damn well. Even if you never put another red cent into the market you should be hitting retirement with between $3 - 5 million.

Obviously, most 28 year olds don't have that. The vast majority of Americans don't have that. Tyler White should be able to have a great life/retirement if he was prudent.

#213 HTM, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  14. Major

Major Member

This is just a little weird. I mean, bad things in general are a part of life, yet we still feel sorry for people when they become reality. Injuries are part of playing sports, but we still feel bad for Altuve, LMJ, Springer, etc when they get hurt. Cancer, car wrecks, poverty, etc are all a part of life, but we still feel bad for people who deal with those things. At the end of the job, losing your job sucks, regardless of pay. No need to feel bad for people in any of these cases - that's certainly a personal choice, but it "being part of big life" seems more like a justification than a good reason.

15. Buck Turgidson

Been gone, sorry, and too lazy to read the last 5 pages...so they DFA'd White? What was the corresponding move?

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jose Urquidy

CheezeyBoy22 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I assure you I know more about the global economy and investment strategy than 99% of this board, and if you think you can get an 8% real return in the S&P 500 for the next few decades, then I applaud your optimism. I have personally spoke with the c-suite or board of 3 different global 500 companies and a few major banks and they don’t agree.

But that is unknowable. My broader point is that, while he may be better off than most, starting real life at 28 with no job, no practical experience, and a nest egg of only $500K isn’t exactly a great position. None of this is to say we should feel sorry for him, but let’s no default to the “well he’s fortunate to have gone this far” trope.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Also, Armenteros was sent back down today so they could activate Diaz.

CheezeyBoy22 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

What a douchebag comment.

White went to college, so he either has a degree or is very close to one. No job?! Professional baseball player is a job. Are you suggesting that when he gets dfa he immediately becomes unemployable by every professional team on earth? No practical experience?! Not only are you a market soothsayer, but you apparently know Tyler White’s post-playing career wants. We got a wizard over here y’all! A mind reader!

Finally, a $500k nest egg at 28 easily puts him in the 90th (or better) percentile of wealth for his age in this country.

I can guarangotdamntee you that Tyler White will NEVER regret playing baseball, even if by some unfortunate (and incredibly unlikely) event his playing days ended entirely this season.

vince, CheezeyBoy22 and Hank McDowell like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Diaz? That guy'll never make it, wish we had Marwin.