1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Carlos Gomez.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Aug 8, 2016.

?

Who is most responsible for Gomez debacle?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2016.
  1. 5

18.5%
  2. Luhnow

3.7%
  3. Hinch

7.4%
  4. Hitting Coach

44.4%
  5. Moneyball aggregate offense approach

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Hell if I know but what a disaster

44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Airdough

Airdough Member

The change of scenery will help. Given our recent luck, he'll catch on with Texas and help them win a championship.

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Not sad, but I'm not celebrating this either.

On the other hand, I'm sure some of you really know the feeling of suddenly sucking at something that you've been good at your whole life. :rolleyes:

3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Gomez was the FanGraphs poster child for falling off a cliff last offseason. It's not Gomez's fault that he's secretly 40. Fool Luhnow once, shame on him, fool him twice...you're not gonna fool him twice.

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Interestingly, some of these are similar to Berkman, right? Didn't work hard in practice, rubbed some teammates the wrong way at times (not a ton, but I wonder if you might have heard about it more if social media was around back then). Lance did seem to focus better and obviously had discipline within at-bats. Was that the main difference that allowed him to stay on top of his game, while Gomez "lost it"? And of course, more talent..

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

What a crappy experience having this guy was.

Don't let the door hit your ass.

6. Mattician

Mattician Member

Don't have anything against Gomez. He loves baseball. Just didn't work out for him in Houston.

He'll bounce back. Just hope it's not on a team in the AL West.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Well, is it really getting "fired" if you still get paid?

Can't really compare a DFA with someone in the regular job force getting fired

I have no I'll will towards Gomez, but these are two totally different situations

8. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

He will end up with the Rangers. You can take that to the bank.

9. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

What are you his mom or something?

There are far worse things than being fired for poor performance and getting to keep the multi-million dollar salary.

1 person likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

That just about sums it up perfectly.

Gomez is a damn clown.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Plenty of people get fired and still get paid.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This. There's a lot of holier-than-thou talk on Twitter now.

The far-and-away leading season it's sad when you hear someone "got fired" is because of the significant financial impact on that person and their immediate family. Gomez has been and will be compensated quite well. And he'll no doubt earn a job playing baseball somewhere else, should he choose to do so.

I'm not throwing a party or anything, but as a fan and paying customer of the Astros, I'm happy that I won't be watching his awful hitting approach and lackadaisical defense anymore. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Judging by a few tweets, you'd think Astros fans were popping champagne over a guy who got kicked out of his apartment with nowhere to go.

1 person likes this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

There are dead people with better form, but wish him luck.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Two very different types of personalities.

Berkman was brooding, very serious, whined and pushed his politics on his teammates. He would get very down on himself and didn't like to stretch or workout with his teammates. He typically did his own thing. He didn't keep himself in shape either.

I know all that first hand.

Gomez (from what I have been told) doesn't mind being social with his teammates, and some days works out hard, and other times does literally nothing. It entirely depended on his mood. He lacks any discipline in his life, he lacks any concentration. He gets by on his God given ability.

The difference is that Berkman had very good baseball instincts, could buckle down and be focused. Berkman also isn't stupid.

15. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I'm really sad it has come to this. I was totally in love with the idea of CG. I guy that hit 24 hrs and gave you 65 rbis and 37 sb a season while playing the best centerfield defense. Sadly that player nvr existed in a Astros uniform.

16. DunKingDanny

DunKingDanny Contributing Member

Does anyone have a link to this play? I didn't get to see this game or get it on DVR. Thanks in advance.

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

[​IMG]

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Well that didn't work but here is the link. Shows a nice play by McHugh too that I missed from that game.

https://vine.co/v/5bZ2YgIMPWw

1 person likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/5bZ2YgIMPWw/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

1 person likes this.
  20. craigharmann

craigharmann Member

He had to go. Especially after the last two games. Inexcusable. He should have been gone long before. Give me Jake in center. He makes the routine and non routine plays regularly.