1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cushing suspended

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket Guy, May 7, 2010.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I wouldn't say that. Honestly, the Texans looked fine through the first three years of the franchise. By year three, they were 7-9 and Carr appeared on the typical QB upswing (rating of 83.5, and dramatic improvement from the prior year). The first-round pick, Dunta Robinson, was a big-time success. There was no reasonable avenue in which you could argue the Texans were underachieving following year three.

Of course, the absolute bottom fell out in 2005 (2-14). The debacle of a Travis Johnson pick, trading multiple seconds for Phillip Buchanon, Carr regressing, and the overall lack of any free agent activity, focusing almost exclusively on development from within. And you know what? Casserly and Capers were then fired.

I don't think Bob McNair is perfect by any means, but I don't see how you can accuse him of a "stand by your man" scenario with Casserly and Capers. People love through revisionist history to act like the entire Casserly era was god-awful, but that's not the case. There really wasn't a logical case to fire them following 2004. There was after 2005, of course... and McNair did it.

2. The Cat

uh, who are these many (besides yourself)? You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but maybe you should stick away from speaking for others...

3. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Wrong.

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Oh, I know there are a lot of people in Houston who would like to believe him if only for the sake of the team which will face 3 truly tough foes during Cushing's suspension. The Texans have a brutal schedule in Sept and the loss of an impact player like Cushing has got to leave many Texans' fans extremely nervous. I really liked the attitude and intensity guys like Cushing & Demeco brought to that defense. Hell, after watching the likes of Travis Johnson go through the motions for years, I would have settled for the ghost of Harvey Martin. But as they say: If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.

Believe me: If would please me to no end for them (Texans) to beat the Cowboys and wipe that arrogant smirk off Jerry Jones' mug. Maybe then I wouldn't have to listen to any more "Tony Romo in the Hall Of Fame" BS.

#604 HillBoy, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  5. paulftsk

paulftsk Member

I find Cush's story harder to believe than SCK's :(

6. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

This guys definetly has OAS....lol
    [​IMG]

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'd draft Cushing again if the draft was done all over again, I'd take a chance on a game changer and hope his talent was actually greater than the supposed "boost" he took. Strip away his physical attributes and the "risks" he took to get ahead, he still has the mentality and approach to the game that few possess (and I personally wish other Texans player had).

/Bob McNair quasi-speech

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I realize my viewpoint may seem harsh but I already lived (died) with an owner (Bud Adams) who couldn't find his butt in the dark with both hands, a flashlight AND a map. This is not to compare McNair with Adams because McNair is a decent human being while Adams is a POS despicable troll b*stard. And McNair did so many things right to bring NFL football back to Houston that it's a pity that he didn't study history closer. The LAST thing he needed was to recreate the Houston Oiler experience (and I'm not talking about Luv Ya Blue) but that's exactly what he let Casserly & Capers give us. He appears to be a really nice guy and all that but he was clueless about setting up a pro football operation and it showed. I went back and looked at Casserly's & Capers' track record before they were hired and I am mystified as to how they ever got hired here. By the time McNair pulled their respective plugs, they'd managed to wreck his organization.

9. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

10. Major

Major Member

I think the downside is that he keeps losing credibility. You see that in the tumor thing - people sort of were split when he originally professed his innocence, but the more he talked and the more he made up excuses, the more people thought he was guilty.

Certainly, that may not matter to him with fans. But it could have effects down the line where his credibility matters for something or other.

11. Raven

Raven Member

Do you believe his excuse? No? Neither do I.

12. msn

msn Member

so you'd draft somebody else instead? you're prepared to predict that from this point on he will be a complete bust?

if you think he's the only guy ever to have taken PEDs and then quit, that line of thinking may be a bit naive.

13. The Cat

no, I don't, but I still want him on this team and think that pick was one of the wisest decisions the Texans have ever made.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I wonder what all them overtraining baseball players think of this . . . .

Rocket River

15. Raven

Raven Member

Even if Cushing's production dropped, I figured he'd still be able to hold his own, but this latest ploy smacks of desperation. This guy is terrified he's going to test positive again. To me, this changes everything.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So... are any of you snickering cynics doctors by chance?

I'm not saying I believe him, but do any of you understand or know the science behind this appeal?

If not, a little stfu might be in order.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

that's almost why i think there might be something to this. why would the organization put themselves on the line like this if there wasn't some sort of believable evidence that what he's claiming is true. it just makes me rethink it for a second. that said, i probably still fall on the side that he did something wrong.

btw, i'm so upset that dallas residents are making fun of the texans. whatever will i do with my life. :rolleyes:

19. Major

Major Member

Well, this is stupid. If he truly believes his training style led to OAS, why wouldn't he want to change it? Here are some examples of OAS effects:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/overtraining.html

The "overtraining syndrome" is the name given to the collection of emotional, behavioral, and physical symptoms due to overtraining that has persisted for weeks to months. Athletes and coaches also know it as "burnout" or "staleness." This is different from the day to day variation in performance and post exercise tiredness that is common in conditioned athletes. Overtraining is marked by cumulative exhaustion that persists even after recovery periods.

The most common symptom is fatigue. This may limit workouts and may be present at rest. The athlete may also become moody, easily irritated, have altered sleep patterns, become depressed, or lose the competitive desire and enthusiasm for the sport. Some will report decreased appetite and weight loss. Physical symptoms include persistent muscular soreness, increased frequency of viral illnesses, and increased incidence of injuries.

If he thinks he got that from his training style, you'd think he'd want to do everything possible to prevent it from occurring again. This sounds a lot like the "I thought I had a tumor and played the whole season thinking I might die but I'll look into it later" excuse.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

awexler Statement from #Texans McNair "...we presented add'l medical info about Cushing. Drs will review info & we’ll hear from them at later date”