1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry's the best right now

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OTMax, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Green is headed toward HOF career.

As far as Curry goes, he is having the highest PER regular season, but if he comes out with another playoff PER of low to mid 20's, it kind of lessens it for me.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The team that had two other HOF players on it, in their prime, one who took the Bulls to 50+ wins without Jordan when he retired? End of rebuttal.

3. BackdoorHarden

Wow. A team with 3 of the TOP 50 players of all time. They better have won over 70 games that year!!!!

4. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Which three from that roster are top 50 of all time? I only see 2 - Jordan and Pippen.

5. watashi315

watashi315 Member

There have been plenty of teams with 2 or more HOF on the roster in NBA history. But only one team have won 72 games in a season. That speaks of the greatness of Michael Jordan and that squad. Again, I'm not getting your point. What's your rebuttal to?

6. BackdoorHarden

So how great is Curry if the Warriors win 72 games without a single top 100 players(not counting Curry)?

7. poloshirt

poloshirt Member

He's only the best because of his team.

8. Icehouse

But there haven't been plenty of teams with 3 HOF players on it. The ones that have typically won titles.

My point is stop trying to discount the help the Bulls had.

9. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

This is the weirdest discussion ever. With a true winner comes a supporting cast and system.

That goes for Jordan, Kobe, Lebron, Curry, fill in your favorite.

And pick them up and drop them in another team? Within months the whole team and system will try to adjust as these players are so defining of their environment (also, it makes sense to readjust!).

10. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Of course Jordan and Pippen had help! Basketball is a TEAM SPORT, which means you win and lose as a team. And the 96 Bulls had some tremendous role players. If you look at the history of this discussion, I was debating with another individual Jordan and Pippen could've won championships on a Bulls team without Rodman, and they did (1991-93). I'm not saying they could've accomplished all of that just by themselves.

But a 72 win season is something incredible. It takes a lot of factors to get that done. Luck (gotta stay healthy!), determination, teamwork, and lots of talent!

Could Curry and his Warriors tie or break that record this year? Sure. But we're only at the halfway mark. There's still tons of games to be played. Anything can happen in the second half. Let's wait and see.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

How do you figure?

If Alvin Robertson's career wasn't HOF worthy, I don't see how Green, at his current rate, is headed towards a HOF career.

12. Icehouse

Or you could just say taking a title team with two HOF played and adding another HOF player who is arguably one of the best rebounders and defenders ever could boost the squad to record setting heights, like a 72 win season. That seems to make more sense than trying to write Rodman off as a role player.

The 96 Bulls had 3 historically great players, with other help.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

He's the 2nd best player on a soon to be dynasty. Rodman was a bench player through out the 3 finals trips with the Pistons. No one would have thought he'd be a HOF'er yet you argue he is a star while Green racks up triple doubles and shoots 40% from 3 on what could possibly be the best team ever if they pass the Bulls mark. Usually you see 3 players minimum make the HOF if they were a big part of teams that won a minimum of 3 titles.

Alvin didn't win anything. The Spurs were garbage with him despite the nice all around stats and steals king and quad-dub, had some decent seasons with the Bucks and was done by 29. He might still eventually get in.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Debatable. An argument can easily be made that Klay Thompson is their 2nd best player.

Incorrect. In 1990, Rodman started half the regular season games and almost all the playoff games (17 out of 19).

Re-read what I wrote. I said he was a star with the Bulls. You're trying to act as if I said he was a star with the Pistons (why else would you bring up his role on the Pistons?).

I think your general sentiment is true, but I think the Warriors are an exception. Obviously, the top two guys are Curry and Thompson (the all-stars). After that, Green/Barnes/Iguodala all play similar roles. And because they're relatively interchangeable (don't forget that Iguodala won the FMVP), it wouldn't make sense to enshrine only Green into the HOF. You'd have to include all of them or none of them.

Even if Green continues his current pace (no all-star appearances, defensive first team honors, part of multiple championship teams), I still think Alvin Robertson has a better resume (better stats, multiple all-star appearances, defensive honors, DPOY).

15. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

It's widely expected that Green will make the All-Star team this year. He may even be a starter:

Link

Even if he's not voted in, it's almost a certainty that he'll be selected as a reserve.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Stephen Curry on the Warriors playing Oklahoma City Thunder the day before the Super Bowl: &quot;It'll be a good 48 hours - a win and a win.&quot;</p>&mdash; Diamond Leung (@diamond83) <a href="https://twitter.com/diamond83/status/692774696375291904">January 28, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Green will get DPOTY soon enough IMO

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

He is the best but don't dicredit his team he plays on. Having Barnes/klay/green make the game a lot easier for curry and gives he extra space to do what he wants. He gets so many wide open shots because teams are so scared to leave klay open on the other side.

I don't think the Warriors would be as good if the swapped harden for curry but I do think the Warriors would still win the championship with harden fairly easy. There team is just that good.

It even more impressive when u factor in that the drafted all these guys besides iggy and bogut, I'm jealous that the rockets haven't drafted better. I mean we haven't drafted a star since Yao Ming that was 14 years ago.

Morey has to do a better job of finding talented players he's hit on a few but kawai leonard would looks pretty awsome right now in rocket red next to JH and DH.

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Imo green is more hof worthy than klay at this point although if they win 3-4 championship together they will all get in. Similar to Spurs big 3.

Because on any other team were they never won a ring Gino and Parker don't make the hof imo but 4 rings later there shoe ins.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Compared to Klay Thompson, Curry has significantly better handles, is quicker, has a significantly faster release and is shooting 3 pointers at a higher percentage (45.5% vs 42.7%). And you think defenses are more afraid of Thompson?

You have it backwards. Defenses have to tilt towards Curry, and that gives Barnes/Thompson/Green extra space to shoot. Defenses are significantly more aware of Curry than any other Warrior.