1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Curry in hand-check era

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by PJ86, May 23, 2015.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

Curry would have been less effective during the no-3's-yet era.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We would never know how Reggie Miller would play if he lived in the era of Moreyball.

I am pretty sure he would have shot a lot more from 3, somewhere close to what Curry is doing. I've always laughed at how people keep using the hand check rule to disqualify today's players. If the scrawny Reggie Miller could be a prolific shooter, I am pretty sure guys like Curry would find a way to shoot.

3. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

With the quickness he release the ball, the hands check rule would not be much an issue. I. Thomas, Kevin Johnson, Stockton, etc, all in similar build, and had no problem in those era, Curry doesn't even go to the hoop much anyway.

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i mentioned this elsewhere, but on many of his shots, there's really no one within 5 feet of him, particularly on those left-corner threes, from where he's hit something like 91% this post season. credit the rest of his team for setting the screens to free him up, but i have trouble he believing he could shoot like this were he playing in a physical series like the '94 finals.

much of the time it's like he's shooting in warmups, not even a hand in his face.

5. andersongo

andersongo Member

Curry would be deadly in an era where a dominant big tended to prevent defenders from straying too far from the paint; a lot of inside-out possibilities. Also, hand-checking is useless when the guy can pull up from six feet behind the 3-point line.

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Defense is better now than it was in the 90s.

7. i3artow i3aller

Curry is shooting 91% on left corner 3's in the playoffs, wait what? :eek:

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is easy to get off ball scorers open, just run some screens and voila. The difference is composure, accuracy and release time and Curry has all 3. Even in the hand check era he would've thrived in the same way that Ray Allen, Reggie Miller and that dude from the pistons (Hamilton?) did.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Whatever makes you guys sleep better at night... Curry is a helluva player to be reckoned with.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

Hilarious how this 2nd post completely contradicts your claim....

I mean, on the very next post LOL!

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

12. SK34

SK34 Member

That statement doesn't mean the defenses are bad. It just means, that he is a hell of a shooter.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Playoff basketball specifically - In the past we've seen good outside shooters become ineffective once playoffs start. Ex: Dan Majerle, Peja Stojakvic, etc. Shooters used to be some of the easiest players to neutralize (Reggie Miller an exception). Its less so now. Now post players get fronted and contained

Still overall, I think there's just more focus on importance of 3pt shot now. Now it seems shooters roam a more freely. A combination of offensive systems and rules that allow for it. Plus player practice time on shooting.

They're just staying one step ahead. In hand-check era was more focus on dunking, MID-range, posting up, slashing, play in the paint. Now its perimeter play and spacing is a must.

[It can work the OTHER way too, where you can take past players from no-hand-check era and they'd have better careers. There were shooting forwards then who'd be good "Stretch 4's" today.]

If Steph Curry was born INTO the hand-check era he'd be playing more to their style as a scorer/shooter/passer, a more defined "point guard" role. Compared to now where its shooter/playmaker/scorer, small ball and combo guard-wing positions. His great shooting would still be evident, in discussion amongst best ever.

If current Curry is transported BACK into hand-check era, no doubt he'd still be best shooter ever, cuz he'd be "one step ahead" of everyone knowing what he knows now. But his shot goes in bucket any era.

14. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I read that he is great at golf. Is Curry like the Tiger Woods of basketball?

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think he'd be good in any era. He's legit.

16. ts2mars

ts2mars Member

this is stupid. you can apply this "hand check rule" to every superstar now and argue their numbers will suffer.

what's the point?

17. adobo

adobo Member

I think you summed it up well

18. lalala902102001

People forget what the three point shooters were like back in the 90s. Those guys were mainly catch and shoot guys. They ran through a million screens to get open and knock down a shot. Curry is a whole different animal. I don't think we've ever seen someone quite like him in the NBA.

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong, I think Steph Curry is a fantastic shooter but make no mistake, the hand check would do a great job of exactly that. Keeping him in check. Not only would he get checked while handling the ball, he'd get checked while off the ball. It would allow bigger players to guard him easier being able to hand check him thus allowing players to stay much much closer to his body knowing that they can't blow by him because a strong hand check would immediately stop his driving ability or at least greatly deter it. That's why guards back in the day that were successful were physically strong guards. He'd adjust but I believe his production wouldn't be what it is now. I believe he'd have to score more off screens than he would be able to just dribble and pull up.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's because you could disrupt their shot with little nudges here and there and post players are perpetually facing some guy falling down being a charge.