1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Current Rockets = Major League's Cleveland Indians?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TreP3, Apr 15, 2011.

1. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

You guys have seen Major League, right? If you haven't, to keep things simple, the Cleveland Indians' new owner wants to drive attendance down so she can move the team. To accomplish this, she instructs the GM to fill the roster with walk-ons, misfits, and other seemingly washed-up players. She also keeps sub-standard clubhouse conditions to ensure the discomfort of the team.

Obviously, one of the running themes here is the tension and hatred of the GM and players for the owner. Sadly, this reminds me of the Rockets right now. I'm not saying that there is a clear-cut bad guy here, but the Les-Morey-Adelman tension triangle isn't making me feel very good about the current state of things. The players collectively seem to want Adelman to stay and don't like being treated like trade chips. I'm not sure who the true road block is that's keeping Adelman from being re-signed, but I hope it can be resolved more smoothly than the Van Gundy situation.

At the end of the film, the team rallies and makes the playoffs, much to the dismay of the owner. As it turns out, there was an alternate ending to Major League in which the owner secretly wanted the team to do well.
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/07/sports-legend-revealed-the-movie-major-league-originally-had-a-twist-ending.html

Interesting read, particularly the owner's explanation of her actions. The team had no money to sign big-name talent, so she told the GM whom to sign after having scouted the players in great detail a la Moneyball. The players were flawed, but she saw the value in them. She also knew that she just needed the right GM to bring out the players' true talent and get the best potential results possible.

Doesn't that sound a lot like the Rockets' roster? A bunch of flawed or unknown players that appear to be playing above their heads? Kevin Martin can't play D and is too injury-prone, Lowry can't shoot, Hill is a bust, Miller's too old, Hayes is too short, etc. I think a lesser coach would rather walk away than deal with a team like this. The job Adelman has done with this team is remarkable -- the kind of thing you see in movies.

I just wanted to share my early-morning thoughts. So do you guys see similarities also or do I need to grab some coffee?

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So Leslie used to be a showgirl and wants to move the team to Florida? :)

3. TreP3

Yes -- he doesn't have the legs for it anymore. It's evident his best pole-dancing years are behind him.

4. conquistador#11

I don't want to rip layers away from mr. alexander's wardrobe.
    :(

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Major League? what is that?

is that the one where the little kids try to play baseball, keep hitting balls over a fence until it leads to a magical adventure?

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

7. TreP3

I think the movie you're talking about is The Sandlot.

THIS is Major League:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhSpDUYLx-c

8. TreP3

Perhaps in this case the cardboard cutout of Les (or Morey) could start naked and get pieces of clothing put ON with each win -- that'd probably serve as a good motivational tool.

9. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

Funny that people were talking about this scence when I was in Astros game Wednesday.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Not sure if serious... :confused:

11. AggieRocketsFan

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NwXs4C3fkmk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe Les is expecting to find a rookie of the year center in this year's draft which would inspire Yao to bring the heat.