1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Culture Map: Jeremy Lin Benching Reaches New Heights of Insanity

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Did you guys see this piece on culture map? I didn't see it posted.

My thoughts:

Describes Jeremy Lin as the Rockets 'best play maker' and 'best point guard' - offers not one single bit of supporting evidence.

States Patrick Beverley is "... a limited player whose intangibles somehow never seem to show up in any of the analytics that Rockets general manager Daryl Morey treasures." - again offers not one single bit of supporting evidence.

Asserts, "Lately, McHale's been benching Lin for Aaron Brooks, a 6-foot point guard who nearly found himself out of the league a few years ago." Fails to menton Lin also nearly found himself out of the league a few years ago - several times. Or that Brooks was drafted and Lin was undrafted.

I like Jeremy Lin a lot, but I've seldom found myself wondering why he isn't on the floor this season. Is there any merit to the authors claims at all? What do you think?

Oh, and spoiler alert! The author isn't Asian and he's every bit as mad at McHale as the most diehard of LOFs up in here.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I mainly get pissed off at McHale for not playing Lin enough minutes because Lin is on my fantasy team.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I take it you've never read a Chris Baldwin "article" before?

4. corby

corby Contributing Member

Excellent use of the 'treasures' tag.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Has this site ever talked about anything else other than how the Rockets "mistreat" Lin?

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Another bad, biased article. Like you said OP, I think Lin's a quality player, but I've rarely thought to myself, "why isn't he in the game?" Now, McHale is hardly a master of rotations, but he hasn't butchered the PG minutes (Bev and Lin should play roughly the same when both active, Lin should play more than Brooks when Bev's out, unless Brooks is having the better game - and same for Bev/Brooks when Lin's out). Some games he may have played Bev just a little too much, but it's hardly worth writing an article about.

Lin is a talented player who sometimes struggles to find his niche/confidence with our starting group, and this has been evident the past few weeks. And when that's the case, there's no reason not to go with Brooks if he's playing better ball that day.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Will not be clicking the article

8. Mikerey

Mikerey Member

Lin Observation

I started watching the Rockets because Lin. I have since just become a Rockets fan. My favorite player is T Jones. In regards to Lin, I think he is too nice. He would be great in a Bible study. However, If I was in a ballroom brawl I would rather have AB or PB. Lin needs to show a little nastiness to improve his game :) My two cents...

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Oh Chris Baldwin the click w**** again.

10. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

If your wote articles on Houston it would be better than half the crap out there. I mean this as a compliment btw. (in case you thought my tone was sarcastic) Pretty fair assessment of him, I feel a lot people on Clutchfans feel the same way.

11. Pete the Cheat

can the OP or mods remove the link so noone accidentally gives hits to this hack.

12. ParsonsBoy

ParsonsBoy Member

I'm all for Lin, but this guy is clearly using J.Lin's name to get pageviews. I'd block his website off this forum.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]When Kevin McHale finally reinserts Lin, Oklahoma City holds a 97-89 lead with only 4:05 remaining. Lin immediately hits a long jumper, but it's too late to stave off the Rockets humiliation at this point. Houston — one of the most talented teams in the NBA — will limp to a still largely unfathomable 19-point second half with its best playmaker glued to the bench for large chunks of the meltdown.[/rquoter]

Its strange that he didn't bother to check what our second half stats were with Lin on the floor versus when he was on the bench. It seems an obvious thing to look at, given the point he's trying to make.

Here it is for the second half:

With Lin on the floor: 8 points, 7 turnovers, 18% true shooting in just under 12 minutes.

With Lin on the bench: 11 points, 5 turnovers, 29% true shooting in just over 12 minutes.

14. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Let's shake hands;)

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Ha! like this dude cares what the stats show

Worse than "king" solomon

16. SirKen

SirKen Member

HAHAHAHA, you can blame him for milking the "clicks"

17. SirKen

SirKen Member

Meant to say "you can't" but I guess this works as well. :grin:

18. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

This guy's articles get posted here every time. Every time it's met with the same response.

This author has no more credibility to his opinions than you or I do posting on Clutchfans. Culture Map articles need to go the way of Yahoo! Contributor Network articles -- that is, not allowed in the GARM.

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

If you watched Rockets games, you will easily find Lin got treated unfairly in terms of minutes and his role.

1) He got benched by making one or two mistakes and then his minutes can be 40+ on one game and then drop to 20+ on the other.

2) He's best playmaker/passer in this team but Harden runs the show on play making/passing. He became a shooting guard instead of point guard in this team even when Harden wasn't on the floor.

20. ParsonsBoy

ParsonsBoy Member

Its true, inconsistency will make a player inconsistent. I like to think of Jamal Crawford in this case. Dudes been on so many teams till recently, hes gotten a consistent role.

None the less though, this guy is a douchebag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.