1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban screwed Morey? Oh how I hate Cuban now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by queazie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

So Les didn't make moves to keep our championship hopes alive after the first two?

One of them made the right moves and repeated; the other did the exact opposite.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Which makes you wonder, why the need to throw shade on Morey? They have Parsons on a max deal, if they think he's all that why keep explaining yourself? To say you got over? Cuban has a championship, why the hell does he keep talking about Morey?

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Built? Did he draft Dirk? He wasn't even an owner then....

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I remember when we overpaid Dream and Mad Max in free agency. I'm glad we were able to lure them away from their former teams. That was the key.

5. sabesque

sabesque Member

Cuban did his job in doing all possible to get the he wanted

Rockets did their job in protecting the best interest of the organization

Parsons signed an offer sheet designed to screw us over.

also: the rockets chose to gamble players he would likely move anyway to try and get a player who would likely make the team a championship favorite in Bosh.

Cuban gambled their future flexibility on someone who may or may not ever be an allstar.

6. downbytheriver

Yeah, that's it.

I'm not even A MOREY FAN, but he has done everything RIGHT this summer.

Cuban will take these young impressionable guys to a club, do all kinds of bro douchey things to be buddy buddy with them, and build a contender for the 8th see every year. He was willing to overpay Parsons because Parsons could be marketed to the WHITE DALLAS YOUTH, as someone just like them. The guy is never going to be more than a 4th option on a contender, and a horrible defender to have alongside Harden.

THIS IS NOT SOUR GRAPES. I SAID this before the Portland series, and the portland series only proved how easy it is to expose him.

Happy to have Ariza and the cap space, happy Cuban is stuck with that contract (though he will make it up with how he markets him)

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Yeah, **** em all!

8. BreakYoSelfFool

Cuban will be begging Parsons to opt out of his 3rd year. I'm really hppy for Parsons and how he screwed the Mavericks for the next 3 years

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wonder if Cuban could have 'built' a championship NBA team if he wasn't first wealthy. Wait, no I don't. This distinction between Les and Cuban is arbitrary.

10. mikus

mikus Member

Whatever you want to think of Cuban's individual quotes or actions, in the big picture, he took a perennial doormat team and turned them into contenders and then won a title. That's a whole lot more than many owners can say. Like most here, I really hate Dallas but you gotta give him that accomplishment.

11. Nook

Nook Member

No, Cuban was willing to be married to Parsons if he had to. He didn't make the Parsons contract so toxic to trade because he would never deal Parsons, but because he had to so Houston wouldn't match.

As far as seeing something special in Parsons, Cuban struck out on every single major free agent the last 3 years. Last year he settled for Monta Ellis, this year he settled for Chandler Parsons. Cuban has a limited window with Nowitzki and was going to spend the cap space. It would have been Deng or someone else if not Parsons.

I will give Cuban this much, it is most likely just a 2 year deal.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So what he is really saying is that Parsons was just a pawn at screwing over the Rockets...asset>>>pawn

Enjoy Parsons...got to sleep in that bed you $hit Cuban...

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

Cuban clearly sees it as a zero sum game. He knew a Rockets team with a resigned Parsons, even without Bosh or Melo, would be dangerous. Let's imagine, if you will, Parsons is on contract for 12 million and the Rockets have Ariza and another guy to bolster the bench. That's a good team already with a lot of flexibility to acquire more talent (especially if the cap goes up dramatically- Parsons' contract of 12 mil in this scenario is much easier to move).

That leaves Dallas- a team that Cuban mistakenly seems to think is still in contention - having to go against a fortified Pelicans team, a rising Houston team, and an entrenched Spurs in the same division. So, he screws us over to save himself. He bites the bullet of giving Parsons an albatross contract not necessarily because it helps Dallas (even though Parsons is a good player)- but primarily because it hurts us and, thus, helps him.

Morey, as evidenced by trading Asik to an interdivisional rival or even the vetoed Gasol trade a few years ago, clearly does not see it as a zero sum game. Willing to help out other teams if it helps out us as well (even if we're not the greatest benefactor).

14. Lunik II

Lunik II Member

We are a better team, so we should be the better men and let them pay our second

rounder the max out of desperation. Btw, did y'all know a lot of Mavericks fans come and

check our forums lol. They actually quote us and talk among themselves about how the

Mavericks were better than the Rockets last season and how delusional we are.

I never never go to other forums, but i was just curios if they talk about us as much

as we have been talking about them recently. Btw, their forum is boring.

15. cyntil8ing

cyntil8ing Member

@OP: Source? Gotta link your reference material.

If True:

Smart strategy to acquire Parsons on Cuban's part to be sure but, the rest is hogwash.

This hijacking of the word "asset" is getting tiresome. It's not a pejorative term. If anything, it's actually assigning positive value to a person. Quite the opposite of a pejorative.

Oh, and by-the-way, this coming from a guy who hired someone form the Rox FO and, more importantly, who busted up his championship team. That should just about tell you what he thinks of "Culture" and "Chemistry".

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I doubt he thought we were going to get Ariza on such a team friendly contract, he probably saw it as we were going to be forced to match on Parsons lacking any options. It's Ariza (keep in mind, like Parsons is the same agent as Dwight, Ariza has Harden's agent) that ruined his plan. The absurdity of it all, is his entire goal was to hamstring Houston, be damned for his own organisation. If a GM did that, they'd get fired, if a corporation did that, they'd face an anti trust suit.

#56 Aleron, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Cuban, is that why you chased every star we did?

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The mavs settled for parsons. He wasn't their first choice.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Mavs Beta AF

20. dude1394

dude1394 Member

Cuban learned his lesson I think. Breaking up the best team in basketball is the dumbest thing I have ever seen a sports team do. Absolutely idiotic.