1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban screwed Morey? Oh how I hate Cuban now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by queazie, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You're certainly right about that. This thread seems to be big on pointing out hypocrisy, so I'm sure this will be addressed soon.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

“I know he didn’t mean it. He’s one of my closest friends,” said Parsons. “He’s got to be confident with the Rockets moving forward with or without me there, so I understand where he’s coming from. I think it’s a ridiculous statement, but at the end of the day, he has to stick up for the Rockets and I don’t think he meant it in a bad way and didn’t try to bash me at all.”

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

I will see. Sissies.

4. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Are you seriously this blind or are you just trolling? Dwight, Bosh and Harden all at the max would have locked the Rockets in so paying Parsons the max wouldn't have mattered to anyone but Les and his checkbook. Dwight and Harden by themselves does not lock the Rockets in so paying Parsons has an opportunity cost that wouldn't exist in a locked in roster.

How has this escaped you?

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Good. I like that line of thoughts. Addition by subtraction!

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's because you're using terms like opportunity cost :p

7. Remii

Remii Member

Morey got that "Jim Jones Kool Aid" going on around here. He can say or do no wrong.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bottom line is if Miami decided to rebuild - Bosh would be in Houston and so would Parsons and everyone would be calling Morey a genius.

Funny how easy it is to go from one extreme to the other.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, if only Miami had 'decided to rebuild' in the 30 minutes between LBJ choosing Cleveland and Bosh signing with Miami, Morey would be a genius. :confused:

It's like people think Miami just decided to sign Bosh on a whim. If not for that, all our dreams would have come true. Is it not possible that Miami had a contingency plan all along had LBJ left that included keeping Bosh at all costs? There was even a Zach Lowe/Grantland interview that said there were other teams in the running for Bosh other than the Rockets. In other words, even if Bosh were to leave Miami, it wasn't a done deal that he was coming here. Do we just ignore that since it doesn't fit into our narrative of how things are supposed to play out?

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

That 5th year did houston in. If MIA didn't have the 5th year, Bosh will be a Rocket. Pretty simple i think.

11. Nook

Nook Member

There is a big difference when you have Harden/Howard/Bosh and match Parsons. If for no other reason than your core is set and you don't need payroll flexibility as much. However, when your core is "okay... Dirk/Ellis" or "good.. Harden/Howard" you don't throw all future flexibility to the wind UNLESS Parsons puts you over the top.

What Morey means by you draft players like Parsons, not sign them is that if you are paying Parsons like a #1 or #2 option, you probably lack the big guns to win titles.

Does Parsons on Dallas take them to the WCF or Finals? Does Parsons on the Rockets take them to the WCF or Finals? No...

12. Nook

Nook Member

Perhaps Miami all along expected to sign Bosh and not rebuild... We don't know and only Miami knew prior to it happening. We DO know that Bosh was signing with Houston prior to Miami offering the fifth year. There is little doubt it was Houston if not Miami.

All along Morey knew there were no guarantees and that Bosh could well end up in Miami... But he weighed the cost and benefits and decided that it was worth the risk. FWIW I would want him to take the same risk again if it presents itself. The payoff is very and the possibility of it happening is far from remote.

13. Remii

Remii Member

He would only be a genius if it would have resulted in a championship because if it didn't... You would here why did Morey give a max contract to a power forward who is a finesse (soft) player on both sides of the ball to go against the power forwards in the west when they already drop 20, 30, 40 points on him whenever they feel like it. And practically everyone is saying Parsons isn't worth a max contract and that would have been brought up too.

14. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

If I was Dirk, I would be pissed that he wasted my money. I like Dirk and Chandler (Tyson numbnuts).

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well it would have as likely been possible that Miami decides to rebuild given that they will not be a contender building around Bosh and an aging Wade. I would not have given Bosh 5 years. It seems likely he would have come here regardless and it wasn't just our narrative it was the media as a whole reporting he was coming here.

Morey made a mistake in giving Parsons RFA and perhaps not stroking his ego enough. But given his hand, he did what he could to try to improve the team and that you can't blame him for.

Staying pat with Lin/Parsons wouldn't have brought us a championship and thats what he wanted. Sometimes you swing and you miss. But he swung for the fences. Most GMs don't have the guts to do what he did.

Sometimes he hits and it's spectacular. But his strikeouts are going to be painful too.

16. houtown

houtown Member

Cuban didn't screw morey on the parsons thing. Morey screwed Morey. I don't think its a big deal anyway, Parsons ego seemed like it was bound to cause drama in the future.

17. Remii

Remii Member

We don't know that. Bosh was chilling overseas with his feet up. That isn't the sign of a man about to go somewhere. Especially when it has been said he didn't want to play close to his family.

Just because Morey "thought" he was coming doesn't mean he was. Bosh's agent could have been messing with Morey just like Parsons' agent did.

Bosh did the same ish before. He knew he was going to Miami to hook up with LeBron and Wade. Them dudes planned that, he was just window shopping with Houston... Both times.

Not the end of the world though.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but next year would have been better.

DD

19. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I really have no idea where this idea of Bosh did this before comes from, Bosh never even had a formal meeting with Houston last time, several other teams yes, but not Houston. Morey went and door knocked and handed him an ipad with about a 15 minute talk. There was never anything even approaching serious overtures with Houston.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is the best offseason in <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mavs?src=hash">#Mavs</a> history. Dirk's discount. Tyson, Parsons, Devin, Aminu, Jameer, Jefferson, Smith and Felton. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/4starters?src=hash">#4starters</a></p>&mdash; Dwain Price (@DwainPrice) <a href="https://twitter.com/DwainPrice/statuses/492153578987868160">July 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>