1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban May Pursue Dodgers Next

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by bullardfan, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

I wish he would purchase the Astros or Texans...

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/cuban-may-eye-dodgers-next/
    May 3, 2011, 1:09 pm
    Cuban May Pursue Dodgers Next
    By JOANNE C. GERSTNER

The Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has said he’s “done chasing” baseball teams he wants to purchase, without quite ruling out a run at the troubled Dodgers.
    Does Mark Cuban have the Dodgers on his mind?Mark J. Terrill/Associated PressDoes Mark Cuban have the Dodgers on his mind?

He’s made no secret of his desire to purchase a baseball team, having tried and failed to buy the Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers, and his hometown Pittsburgh Pirates.

Major League Baseball took over the Dodgers operations April 20, after it decided the owner Frank McCourt’s ongoing financial issues were harming the franchise.

“I have taken this action because of my deep concerns regarding the finances and operations of the Dodgers and to protect the best interests of the club,” Commissioner Bud Selig said in a statement.

Despite Cuban’s edict that he will no longer chase after baseball teams, we should check back with him if and when the Dodgers are for sale. It just so happens he is in Los Angeles as the Mavericks play the Lakers in the second round of the playoffs. The Mavericks won Game 1 Monday night.

“It’s too early to say,” he said in an e-mail, sent to The Los Angeles Times for a Feb. 5, 2011, article. “Let’s see what happens if and when it goes up for sale. … I’d be more than happy to discuss it. But I’m done chasing and bidding on baseball teams.”

The L.A. Times columnist T. J. Simers speculates about what Cuban’s management style and personality that could mean for the beleaguered ball club.

“If Cuban lives up to the hype, he’s gets his own TV show here. He’s more Hollywood than Frank & Jamie [McCourt] ever were, and they were really working at it,” Simers wrote. “Cuban also has lots of money, which makes him different, too. Forbes recently ranked him the 459th richest person in the world.

“Someone needs to breathe some life into the Dodgers, and who better than someone with a big mouth, big pockets and who would be a big pain for Bud Selig? …”

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson was asked about Cuban as an owner, according to the Dallas Morning News, before Monday’s Game 1 against the Mavericks in Los Angeles.

Jackson, never one to parse words, was to the point, “I wouldn’t want him behind my bench.”

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Hahahaha 4/20 lolz

But imdont see it happening now that the mavs one the championship...well maybe in a couple years or something...but Cuban is probably still drunk/hungover from all the festivities

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

fixed

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Given how upside down that franchise is, the purchase price very likely could be the assumption of debt.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I thought it was hilarious to hear that MLB might have to take over the payroll soon...which means that they'll be paying the $8 million owed to Manny Ramirez.

6. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Old article is old.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

^What he said!