1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cuban/All-Stars

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by carayip, Jan 24, 2003.

1. carayip

carayip Member

Wolves' Garnett an All-Star starter again
    Chip Scoggins
    Star Tribune

Published Jan. 24, 2003 WOLF0124

Timberwolves forward Kevin Garnett was named an All-Star starter for the fifth time Thursday despite an 11th-hour ballot-stuffing crusade by the Dallas Mavericks.

The NBA released the results of fan balloting, and Garnett finished second among Western Conference forwards with 1,086,780 votes -- only 7,355 ahead of Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki for a starting spot. San Antonio's Tim Duncan was the top vote-getter among forwards with 1,179,955.

Nowitzki, who trailed Garnett by 40,000 votes earlier this month, made up ground with the help of a last-minute campaign by Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who used some questionable tactics to attract votes for his player.

Sports Illustrated reported the team took extra measures to support Nowitzki, including sending a mass e-mail to season-ticket holders with the message, "Don't vote for Garnett."

Dawn Holgate, a Mavericks marketing executive, said the team did not use that exact phrase, but rather urged its fans to vote for Nowitzki.

Either way, Garnett thought the tactics were bush-league, and he had his own message for Cuban.

"I think that's a little shystie," he said. "Guys dictate their place in this league. They've got the best record in the league, and you still have to degrade or downplay another player to get one of your players in? I didn't understand it. But sometimes to be an owner doesn't necessarily mean you've got class."

Wolves Chief Marketing Officer Chris Wright said the team promotes its players inside the arena, but it would never solicit votes.

"[Owner] Glen [Taylor] has a lot more class than that," Garnett said. "I think he would definitely respect that we are players and the game is the game and always to respect that."

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Who I really feel sorry for is Steve Nash, and Shaq. :rolleyes:

3. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

maybe shaq, francis ,payton , marbury deserve it before nash

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No **** Sherlock, thanks for opening my eyes to this. :)
    Go Francis!!
    Go Ming!!

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You gotta love Steve Nash. Clever guy.

6. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

umm yeah. Of course Kevin Garnett would say his owner "has a lot more class than that". Getting paid $20,000,000+ PER YEAR...

I love Mark Cuban!

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Geez.

I can't stand Mark Cuban.

I think that there is a pretty clear line between an involved owner and a jackass. I think Mr. Cuban has crossed it.

8. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

Marbury is having a great year but he's still not in Nash's class just yet.

Marbury still shows quite a bit of Catino-itis when it comes to passing the ball.

Both should still be able to make the team though since they pick 5 guards ... Francis, Payton, Kobe, Nash, Marbury

9. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Its amazing how he's still "not in Nash's class" despite averaging more points, rebounds, and assists.

10. carayip

carayip Member

Yes Marbury's stats are better, but if I have to choose out of these 2 I would have Nash as my team's PG.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

why?
    Marbury is a great player. Nash has it easy with nowitzki and Finley next to him. I think nash isn't much better than marbury, i think they are about the same.

12. BanginScrew

BanginScrew Member

I think it's the intangibles that give Nash the edge. Nash is a natural leader, and is a pass first PG.

Marbury is/will be great however he is not a natural leader. That's something he's had to work at. He also a shoot first PG, at least he has been for most of his career. That is also something that he's had to work at.

If you are talking long term then I would probably have to agree that Marbury will be the better of the two however (taking into consideration that he's still only 24) however as of right now this year I think Nash has the edge over Marbury.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Marbury has top 10 talent in this league, and he is apparently figuring it out, no way would I take Steve Nash over him, although Nash is really good and obviously understands the game more.

14. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

That's not exactly true since fan voting can be influenced by such off-the-court factors as shoe commercials and other popularity issues that don't necessarily have anything to do with a player's performance in that particular year.

15. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Member

Have you guys seen Nash play? He has no dominate Big Man unless you count Dirk. Sure he has Fin and Dirk I don't know what kind of argument is that but it is in favor of Nash rather than Mar. Mar gets to have a team of his own while Nash has to share it with Dirk and Fin and his stats falter because of it which brings up why Mar has better stats.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yeah, he has no one to pass to,

The dude is a point guard, that's like saying Dennis Johnson's stats faltered because he played with the Celtics. He could average 15 assist on that team.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I am not a fan of Marbury's attitude, but he may be the most purely athletic and talented Point guard in the league. He is not a "team first" player, but is a witch on the court. I do not like Stephon as a person or a team leader or team first player, but man has this guy got skills.

Marbury is a jerk....