1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CSM] Christians ready to refute 'Da Vinci Code' movie

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by No Worries, Mar 22, 2006.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

People in glass houses throwing stones ....

Christians ready to refute 'Da Vinci Code' movie

Rather than organize protests or boycotts, Evangelicals and Catholics are mobilizing 'truth squads.'

By Jane Lampman | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

In a world accepting of docudramas and reality TV shows that aren't real, how does one counter a blockbuster movie whose theme challenges the orthodox religious history of the Western world?

That's the task facing Christians already distressed by Dan Brown's wildly popular novel, "The Da Vinci Code," and his claim that the thriller is based on historical facts.

With sales of more than 40 million, the book has become a cultural phenomenon. Unless the copyright-infringement trial in London (which now awaits the judge's decision) brings an injunction against use of the material, the May release of the film starring Tom Hanks will surely magnify its global impact.

Rather than organize protests or boycotts - steps taken in the past against controversial films - Evangelicals and Catholics instead are mobilizing "truth squads." They're producing books, websites, TV documentaries, DVDs, and study guides. Some hope to use the film as a "teachable moment" that could turn the occasion to their advantage.

"Our task is to be the missionary to the unbelievers," says the Rev. James Garlow, pastor of Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego, Calif. He's developed a four-phase strategy for churches leading up to the film's release.

Yet others suggest there's more involved than a question of historical accuracy. They say part of the book's appeal is that it raises deeper issues about the nature of Christianity that many people, including devout Christians, want to talk about.

Eric Plumer, a theology professor at the University of Scranton, a Catholic institution in Pennsylvania, has been surprised by the intense interest he's encountered when giving talks about "The Da Vinci Code" in public libraries, colleges, and senior-citizen centers.

"The turnouts have been mainly standing room only," he says. "Some want to know how to refute the book; some want their belief in it strengthened.... Even if people can't wholly accept what Dan Brown has to say, they feel he has touched on something they want to discuss."

Dr. Plumer is now writing a book on why the novel has struck such a chord despite dozens and dozens of books published to debunk its claims.

Those claims include that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and their bloodline still survives; that the idea of Jesus' divinity did not exist until Emperor Constantine formed the Council of Nicea to establish it; and that the Roman Catholic Church has conspired to hide this throughout history, even to the point of murder.

The novel is first and foremost a fantastical murder mystery, an intriguing page turner that grabs even those wholly opposed to its thesis. It catches people's imaginations, many say, because it involves a conspiracy.

"Americans love a conspiracy theory," says Lynn Garrett, religion editor at Publishers Weekly. "It also tapped into people's disillusionment with the Catholic Church following the sexual abuse scandals."

Some say Mr. Brown's controversial approach to history plays on people's limited knowledge.

"One reason it works so well on readers is that he tends to begin with a kernel of something historical and then quickly spins off into fiction - or you could say falsehood, since he represents it as something researched," says Timothy Beal, professor of religion at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.

Professor Beal used Brown's novel last fall in a course on the New Testament and early Christianity, illustrating pop culture interest in the topic. "Half of the students had already read the book and many believed it," he says.

Yet people agree, too, that the novel appeals because it offers a different way of seeing Christian tradition, particularly issues of patriarchy and women in the early church. This appeal has helped spur new subcategories in the publishing business, Ms. Garrett says, with each season bringing new books on Mary Magdalene and on what's now called "alternative Christianity."

For Catholics, the primary concern is countering the historical charges as well as the representation of the church and the lay Catholic group, Opus Dei. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops is mounting a campaign tied to the film, with an extensive website launched this month and a TV documentary. "Jesus Decoded," presenting Catholic teaching on Christ, will be offered to NBC-TV affiliates for broadcast the week the movie opens. In addition, Opus Dei, which is controversial even among Catholics for its secrecy, has begun a PR campaign.

William Donohue, president of the Catholic League for Religious and Civil Rights, has pressed Sony Pictures and director Ron Howard to put a disclaimer at the start of the film saying it is fiction. "We have a deceitful writer who has said it's based on historical facts, and a co-producer who has called the movie 'conservatively anti-Catholic,' " says Mr. Donohue.

The filmmakers have not responded to his request. Instead, they've encouraged Christians to discuss the issues on a Sony-sponsored website: www.thedavincidialogue.com. A number of prominent Evangelicals are providing essays, while others suggest they're being co-opted.

The concern is global: The Russian Orthodox Church has complained about the film, and Evangelicals in South Korea are even trying to keep it out of theaters. One Christian leader, according to Yonghap News Agency, has compared it to the Danish cartoons denigrating Islam.

Evangelicals in the US plan to launch their own website in late April. Backed by an anonymous philanthropist and hosted by Westminster Theological Seminary (WTS) in Philadelphia, the project also involves people close to Billy Graham.

"While we recognize the right to present a good yarn, we're concerned the mix of fact and fiction is sure to lead many to question the Bible's integrity, its message, and Christianity's impact on history," says William Edgar, a professor of apologetics at WTS. "We want to help the curious viewer ... set the record straight, or at least put some doubt into the doubting."

Some church leaders aim to equip their congregations to handle the claims. Wheatland Presbyterian Church in Lancaster, Pa., plans a seven-week Sunday School class beginning in April to cover key issues raised by the novel. "We also hope to have an evening event for the community ... and encourage our members to invite neighbors to home-group discussions," says the Rev. Bruce Mawhinney, senior pastor.

Others, particularly leaders who have written debunking books, are more ambitious - packaging books, DVDs, and outreach materials. Dr. Garlow, author of "The Da Vinci Codebreaker," hopes his strategy for churches will lead people to throw Da Vinci parties, or gatherings at work to discuss the film with "unbelievers."

Yet some say Evangelicals are less likely than others to have even read the novel. Moviegoers who have read it may have other interests in mind.

"In our sort of postsecular society, there is a question out there among many: 'Is this all there is?' " Case Western's Beal says. "Given the socioeconomic realities and the established institutions, there's a desire to discover something more that's been there, but that we didn't know. A longing for something spiritual that is not possessed or controlled by established institutional religion."

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Is it really necessary to "refute" a fictional work?

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

this is my religious/spiritual conundrum in a nutshell.

I do believe in God and Jesus...Im just so turned off by organized religion. :(

4. Major

Major Member

I think this is actually a great thing - far better than a protest or boycott or whatnot.

The fact is that Da Vinci Code hit a nerve in a lot of people. While it's clearly fiction, it has caused people to start asking questions and wondering about the church and other such things. It seems reasonable to me that the Church would work to clarify misconceptions and present the other side.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It shouldn't be. That being said, there are folks that will see references to historic artifacts and themes in fictional books and assume those parts to be true (regardless of what disclaimers are made and what liberties an author may admit he took).

Some works of fiction do contain factual references which tend to blur the line with the disctinction between what is actually fact and what is made up.

It is unfortunate that people just don't enjoy the movie for what it will probably be. A blockbuster adventure starring Tom Hanks.

I think the book has spurred some positives. There have been numerous seminars about references that Brown brought up in his book and some churches have taken it as a learning experience rather than boycotting. Our Catholic church brought in a well renowned religious (non-Catholic) scholar to shed more light on stuff that Brown brought up and one of the Priests did a "book club" with some of the high schoolers to discuss the book.

6. underoverup

underoverup Member

the truth squad!?!? :rolleyes: glad to see the evangelicals and catholics have their priorities straight. :rolleyes:

7. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

Before I read the Da Vinci Code, I was already seeking transcripts of the Nag Hammadi findings, well the Gnostic writings, and reading into the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Didn't they already make this movie? I remember Stigmata was about a coverup operation to suppress the Gospel of Thomas, but instead of Goddess worship and the Holy Grail being a woman, it was the obsolesence of the church.

8. No Worries

The early church is generally not something current Christian churches want to discuss in any detail. This would lead to more questions than answers and would not serve the churches' best interest.

As an example, Christian theology evolved during the first three hundred years or so. This may be unsettling to some who believe Christian theology began shortly after Jesus's death and has not changed since.

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

They have this all wrong. IIRC, we're supposed to call for the head of the author and riot in the streets. Shouldn't we be happy that religious people are resorting to "truth squads" instead of death squads?

...and you would suggest?

#9 halfbreed, Mar 22, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  10. Major

Major Member

What if the alternative is growing doubt and faith in the church based on things like the Da Vinci Code?

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

do you go to church? seriously, you could not be more wrong. i know arguing with you about religion, particularly Christianity, is fruitless...but the letters from Paul to the early church were all first century documents. there are creeds he cites which pre-date the letters he wrote. the concept that all of this theology wasn't developed for 300 years after Christ's death is just false. there were definitely competing theologies as to who he was....just as there are today.

12. No Worries

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Interesting aside: Paul's letters were written before the gospels.

14. MadMax

yeah, no doubt.

i still have a hard time grasping the notion that the Gospels were written AFTER the fall of the Temple in 70 A.D., though. at that point, Christians were very much a sect of Judaism. and that event would have been a huge one...an earth-shattering one for those people. literally changing how the faith is practiced, entirely. and an incredible opportunity to say, "see, i told you so." none of that shows up in the Gospels, nor any of the New Testament, for that matter.

but to the point...who was more influential in shaping how Christ was viewed than Paul??? and his letters even pre-date the Gospel. they cite to creeds which pre-date those letters. so again...the theology that I understand and believe...basic Christianity 101 stuff...all of that was there from the beginning of the Way (the term used to describe Christianity early on).

15. rhadamanthus

Coincidence? I think not.

Max, you know how I feel about Paul's letters already. I'm gonna try to avoid this thread from here on out because the religion bashing has been a little extreme as of late. I'm more interested in discussion.

16. No Worries

I don't go to church anymore. I did grow going to a Southern Baptist church. Early church history was mentioned exactly once. Development of Christian theology was never mentioned.

In discussing early church history, one would need to mention more than Paul. At the first Nicene Council (325 CE), major theological points were still being discussed like:

Was Jesus divine or human turned divine or just plain human? Were Jesus and God one?
    Could good works get you into heaven? How does this salvation thing work?

For those who are interested one can find the Nicene Creed here, where they compare the creed of 325 and creed of 381, showing what got added and what got taken out. Checkout the kicker at the bottom of the creed of 325 :

But as for those who say, There was when He was not, and Before being born He was not, and that He came into existence out of nothing or who assert that the Son of God is of a different hypostasis or substance, or is subject to alteration or change - those the Catholic and apostolic Church anathematizes.

17. MadMax

the key question you are talking about is the existence of the trinity...was that eternal? or did God take on an entirely different nature by taking human form through incarnation? those were hot issues to be sure, and led to the split in the eastern and western church.

but i think you're seeing more to that argument than is there. the concept that he was divine and a sacrifice for our sins was not in debate. the eastern and western churches agreed at least to that...as evidenced by eastern orthodox beliefs to this very date.

18. MadMax

i don't understand what you mean. i'm more than happy to discuss. like you, i'm not real interested in the bashing.

19. rhadamanthus

I think things that are "left out" or "seem added later" within the bible are intentionally there. I.e., the words/events are being edited to portray the evolving dogma/tenets of the church - obstensibly to further place control in the hands of church leaders.

That being said, I think the omission means one of two things (or both):

1) The gospels were written at a different time than thought.
    2) The gospels either left it out intentionally, or it was edited out afterwords to better suit the ideology in question.

20. No Worries

Don't Unitarians believe that Jesus was not Divine? (And don't Universalist believe it does not matter?)

Similarly, don't Gnostics believe that Jesus was not a real man but an illusion?