1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I put it in quotes because I don't believe anybody is trying to actually get you. Please forgive the directness of the following - my point was you seemed to be arguing in a very defensive way, throwing out "straw man" left and right. I wanted to say that I'm not trying to trick you, but coming out and saying "you don't need to be defensive" is the kind of thing you say to make them become defensive. I was approaching the issue obliquely, and apparently went right by you.

I've never met anybody face-to-face that flat out hates illegal immigrants, either. But here we are. It wasn't some attempt to trick or decieve. It shows , perhaps how little we see alike on this issue. As far as I'm concerned, the difference between both groups is procedural. Illegal immigration is not a "mortal sin" but a venal one, to use the language of Catholics.

The moral equivelancy for me is like people who drive cars. Some drivers follow the speed limit and that has its own rewards. Some drivers speed and weave in and out of traffic. They can really annoy me at times, but usually they'll crash their car or get a bunch of speeding tickets and they'll end up paying for their transgressions. As I said, they can annoy me, but it isn't a one size all thing. Some people speed and never bother me at all. For they matter, some people who are inflexable in driving 10mph under the speed limit annoy the hell out of me too. Some people use on strategy, some use another, and the people who break the limit sometimes get away with it, but often end up paying for it in spades.

I hate neither group.

I will say, I think there are maybe more people who "hate" legal immigrants than you imagine, which is why I hear people in congress planning to put insanely tight "Chinese Exclusion Act" limits on legal immigration once the illegal side is fixed.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

FY2015 Illegal aliens accounted for 36.6% of all peoples convicted of a federal crime. Kidnapping 30.2%, fraud 11.6%, drug trafficking 17.8%

they were all separated from their kids fortunately.

Cohete Rojo likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

I juant to play. Mexicans accounted for 100% of all crimes in Mexico.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

false

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[CITA NECESARIA]

8. Bandwagoner

because if those numbers are true it would be pretty serious right? it would make a difference in the argument amirite?

us sentencing commission

case study in post fact world

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Not really. I figure those numbers are so specific you must have sauce. Federal crimes aren't the only crimes in the world, plus this says nothing relative to per capita. Not to mention there's an obvious bit of self selection in this. So there's several reasons it should be digested with proper amounts of salt. Makes for a great talking point in conservative media to reinforce pre-drawn conclusions, however. You should email Hannity. Maybe he has a finders fee.

#889 DonnyMost, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Mr. trump is a deeply ignorant person. I won't call him a man. He doesn't deserve it.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Lots?" That's a false claim. Do you enjoy posting false claims?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, but it's still illegal and wrong for people to criminally enter the country illegally even if after they fact they claim to be asylum seekers.

13. NewRoxFan

Odd those numbers are way different than the Cato study, which found 3.88 homicide convictions per 100,000 for native born versus 2.9 for illegal immigrants. Also fewer sexual assault convictions. Also fewer homicide arrests, 5.4 per 100,000 for native born versus 3.7 for illegal aliens.

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. NewRoxFan

My god, the Red Cross being denied access? This is happening in America?

Amiga likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

About those crimes and the often repeated lies..

NewRoxFan likes this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There were a number of post saying that immigrants released vastly do not show up for court hearing. This study shows the complete opposite. It just make no sense to spend enormous resources and expenses to hold these people in detention center with this type of return rate.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/5-things-we-know-5-things-we-dont-know-about-family-separation

4. Undocumented immigrants had a high rate of making court hearings after release. Republicans argue that previous policies provided an enormous loophole, because undocumented families who were released into the interior of the country pending their immigration hearings would skip their court hearings and remain in the U.S. But at least one thorough study shows the opposite is true. Syracuse University’s Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC) found that in 2015, 86 percent of immigrants released from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detention did show up at their court hearing afterward. That number is even higher for undocumented mothers; 97 percent of them complied with all requirements in the three years after their release.​

FranchiseBlade and NewRoxFan like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you put an ankle bracelet on them it is over 90%. It is also much cheaper. The problem is that there aren't enough judges to process them.

https://www.theregreview.org/2017/04/11/kramer-cost-immigration-detention-bed-quota/

Housing the immigrants cost about $170 per day per detainee. Ankle bracelets cost $5 per day.

Amiga likes this.
  18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Bullshit. They are coached on what to say. There are legal means to claim asylum, being smuggled into the US is not one of them. If it was really about asylum, Mexico would have to take them.

19. NewRoxFan

I guess its pretty clear that the trump (and his supporters) talking point has been proven false, but here's another bullet:

20. Bandwagoner

Which numbers I posted were false? You asked why some numbers you posted were different but I thought you were joking.