1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CROW: Kareem "FRICKING" Jackson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Jan 15, 2013.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How exactly is that bias?

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Kareem made strides in year 2, but he was not near the player he was this year.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Next man up: Harris, McCain, or even Keo?

4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Harris seems likely to improve with playing time.

This year is McCain's contract year so he is likely gone given we have CBs on the roster that would be younger and cheaper like Harris Carmichael and potential draft pick ups. Keo frankly I can't see making that much of a jump from what he is now.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If Keo is back next year I will bust a blood vessell.

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He had DRASTIC improvement last year. Jason Allen did NOT outplay him. The change was last season under Wade's tutelage, and with another off-season of work, he was able to further improve this season. Here's to hoping he improves even further, and he goes into full-on construction mode for KAREEM ISLAND.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

we need to pay kareem before this happens, add a 2 year extension so if he does turn into an all-pro shut down cb we can let jjo go as his contract ends and resign kareem..

8. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Exactly how I feel.

9. Mashing

Mashing Member

Most of those were ticky tack penalties IMO. He had a great year. Hopefully JJo can get back to form next season.

10. Pringles

Pringles Member

I want to make a thread next off-season titled, "Eating Crow: Keo edition."

He sucks ass.

11. Precision340

Precision340 Member

kareem is a future pro-bowler

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Man, F' that crap. He still sucks. :eek:

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Him being on the field makes me completely question everything that I know....I just don't understand it.

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Reminds me of Brian Kelly back when he started in Tampa. Started off horrible and most fans never forgave him for being in good position but giving up the TD to Proehl in the 99 NFC Championship game. Couple years later he was a darn fine cornerstone during the Super Bowl run...

15. TRAV

TRAV Member

he def got better but there is a reason qbs throw at him and not j-jo

16. drewd17

drewd17 Member

Kareem Island

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

In 2011, Kareem Jackson gave up 10.1 yards per pass attempt to his man. That ranked him 74th in the NFL among CBs.

He did allow the 4th least YAC in the NFL, but I think thats mostly due to giving the WR such a big cushion that he would be in tackling position immediately...or giving up a TD which would then equal 0 YAC.

As far as Success Rate is concerned, Kareem ranked 63rd in the NFL with a rate of 46%. Success rate is the percentage of passes that don't manage to get at least 45 percent of needed yards on first down, 60 percent of needed yards on second down, or 100 percent of needed yards on third down.

Also, in 2011, QBs had a 110 QB rating when throwing to Kareem...ranking Jackson 6th worst in the NFL.

Compare this to 2010...
    Jackson was ranked dead last in the NFL (83rd) in yards per pass attempt at 11.1.
    Jackson was ranked dead last in the NFL in YAC at 6.0.
    Jackson was ranked 67th in the NFL in Success rate at 47%.

In other words, Jackson improved from 83rd to 74th in yards per pass attempt. And he went from 67th to 63rd in the NFL in success rate. I'd say the dramatic improvement in YAC is due to the cushion he gave receivers last season.

So, Jackson definitely improved from his first year to his second year...but he was still one of the bottom 15 CBs in the NFL.

His leap from his 2nd year to his 3rd year is much, much greater.

Still waiting to get stats from 2012, but Jackson had the 11th best coverage grade based on ProFootballFocus.

#37 rezdawg, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

For sure. Who's to say that some of the flags and calls on Kareem before werent ticky tack stuff, or were actually LEGIT, or don't hold back a DB's progress. Got to be frustrating (though not worst in the league frustrating like Kareem was)

But I'm glad when sensible rules to help the defense gets put in. Like the rule of receivers needing to have BOTH FEET in bounds on a catch was way overdue. That lame rule "Force-Outs Don't Count" rule of "A receiver WOULD have actually landed in in-bounds on a catch if he wasn't FORCED out during the catch" was just blatant arbitrary stuff to credit offense. Just chalk it up as credit to the defense.

Thats going way back. But that was one of my Madden teams from at the time :)

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

"It would be nice, if he was less concerned with hitting hard and instead went for the ball more. " -Not Wes Welker

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We are set at the cornerback position.