1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cross Michael Bennett off the list...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by VesceySux, Aug 2, 2006.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Chiefs add Bennett to backfield via trade with Saints

By Len Pasquarelli

With the future of Priest Holmes still undetermined, the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday night acquired running back Michael Bennett from the New Orleans Saints for what is believed to be a future draft choice, ESPN.com has learned.

Paperwork must still be filed with the NFL office and the deal is contingent on Bennett passing a Chiefs-administered physical exam. That should not be a problem since Bennett was already in camp with the Saints and practicing.

The subject of considerable trade talk ever since the Saints chose Reggie Bush in the first round of the draft, Bennett will become the primary backup to starter Larry Johnson. The absence of Holmes, and the possibility that he might be forced to retire because of head and neck injuries sustained last season, left the Chiefs perilously thin at the position.

Several teams inquired about Bennett and, in the past week, the St. Louis Rams -- who will be without Marshall Faulk for all of the 2006 season -- offered the Saints a fourth-round pick in next year's draft. Bennett would have preferred being traded to the Rams, where Scott Linehan, his onetime offensive coordinator with the Minnesota Vikings, is the first-year head coach.

New Orleans officials told Bennett and his agent that they dealt him to Kansas City because they did not want to trade him to an NFC team. Other franchises that expressed an interest in Bennett in the last three months included Miami and Houston.

The Saints could have traded Bennett earlier, but held off until they could assess the recovery of starting tailback Deuce McAllister from 2005 knee surgery and until they got Bush under contract.

A former first-round draft choice and a onetime Pro Bowl performer, Bennett was signed by the Saints as an unrestricted free agent on March 17, at a time when New Orleans was seeking an established back and had no idea Bush would be available at No. 2 in the draft. Bennett signed a two-year, $3 million contract.

Before signing with the Saints, Bennett, 27, played all five previous seasons with the Vikings, who chose him in the first round of the 2001 draft. The former University of Wisconsin star was the draft's 27th overall selection that year, four spots after the Saints chose McAllister.

The speedy Bennett rushed for 1,296 yards and five touchdowns in '02, and became the first player in NFL history to produce runs of 60-plus yards in three straight games that year. Over the ensuing three seasons, however, Bennett totaled only 1,196 yards and five touchdowns. In 16 appearances in 2005, including six starts, he carried 126 times for 473 yards and three touchdowns.

For his career, Bennett has 713 carries for 3,174 yards and 12 touchdowns. He also has 126 receptions for 1,040 yards and five scores. Bennett has appeared in 64 games, starting 49.

Link!

2. JamesC

JamesC Member

If Priest is healthy lets get him! :cool:

3. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

That's pretty disappointing b/c we really needed a back that was a fast guy and would fit well into the Texans new system. He would have been a perfect back to fill in for DD if he got injured. He would have done well b/c he of his speed and him being a one cut and go back like Kubiak wants.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I certainly hope the things they say about Kubiak's system being able to make average RB's look good is true, because after DD (who probably won't play half the season), that's all we have...

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We've got some backs that have and can play and some that might work out.
    If it looks iffy close to the start of the season, I guarantee you there will be some decent to good RB's cut from teams. Maybe even Michael Bennet if Holmes and Johnson are healthy and some draft choice shows more enthusiam than he does.

I'm not quite far enough into my fantasy season to tell you who might get cut yet.

(Shipp, Stephen Davis, Maurice Hicks, Artose Pinner would be my first glance at possibilities but, hell Antowain may still have some gas. A Bronco blast system could make him a 4 yard a carry star)

#5 Dubious, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  6. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

you know who would have been a better choice? who was did the saints pick up in the draft?

7. ima_drummer2k

Thanks for that fresh perspective.

8. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

hahaha i try to stay on top of things

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I saw this yesterday and man, that would have been sweet to get him...

Besides, NO owes us for passing on Bush... :eek:

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I were was glad you done did.

11. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I would call Chicago to see if either Thomas Jones or Adrian Peterson might be available. Perhaps we could swap Morency and 3rd for Jones and some defensive help - corner, FS, LB ect....

12. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

great pick up for the chiefs

13. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Isn't Adrian Peterson still in college?

14. imoffg33

imoffg33 Member

there is a different adrian peterson that is already in the nfl *douche*

15. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I probably would have been offended by this had you not highlighted it in the clever way that you did. Whereas most would have used italics, bold print or capital letters to emphasize your point, you went the extra mile and threw in the asterisks. Well done, sir. You truly are much more clever than someone such as I. Carry on with your fresh takes and unique approach to grammar.

16. ima_drummer2k

Actually, there is one well known poster who does that *all* the time. But he hasn't been around in a while.

MISSING IN ACTION

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I think we'll be fine with our current RB's. I'm more concerned about CB.