1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Croshere in Houston!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Jul 12, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was just on Fox news. I missed most of it, but he was interviewed and said he likes the Rockets, and we have a good core with Francis (and called Cato a good rebounder?), he was shown talking with CD, and said "hopefully I won't have to visit many more cities to make my choice" (or something close to that.

Oooh. Croshere.

Croshere on Rockets=Good

------------------
    The more lefties on your team, the better.
    Collier is Seven Foot and Left Handed. How can you go wrong?
    Trade or bench Kenny Thomas.

2. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

[This message has been edited by Jeff (edited July 12, 2000).]

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for the scoop, NIKE! Please, oh, please, let's get THIS guy as our starting small forward. Power forward. Whatever. Let it be true.

------------------

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Thanks for the scoop Nike! It's great to hear that the Rockets actually know that it is okay to talk with FAs now. I was starting to get worried.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Oh man, I hope he wasn't just trying to be polite... Great news! Thanks Nike!

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... next year, at least. :(

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I think the fact that he visited here just shows he may be willing to take less..maybe we can end up doing something like miami is doing with mcgrady supposedly....i'm sure indiana would rather sign and trade him than get nothing..

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Stone Cold... pretty please edit your post with a space somewhere in NOOO. [​IMG]

Actually, nevermind, it's a cool effect. Maybe I can implement it into my signature.

------------------
    The ClutchCity 500.

8. wattsupdogg

wattsupdogg Member

Thanks nike, finally somebody post the Rocks are looking at somebody and we don't have to talk about Rashard coming to Houston!

------------------
    Rockets For Better, For Worse......'til death do us part!

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

StoneColdHakeem: Why don't you want Croshere?

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Stone Cold: Sorry for the edit. That wide page thing was driving me nuts!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

11. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thanx for the news Nikestrad, this is great news.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

12. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

RichRocket --

Its nothing against his game or his character -- he brings tremendous heart and hustle with him every time he steps onto the court.

I'm wary, however, of locking a significant amount of money into what is essentially a decent role player, especially if its in the mind set that Croshere is the answer at the 4. He's not, especially against the frontcourt talent of the west.

I'd much rather the Rockets use the trade exemption to pursue a Marcus Fizer or wedge their way into the Toronto/Miami deal and pick up Brown or Davis.

------------------
    "Kick to the gut....The Stunner, The Stunner!!!!....Lights out for Austin Croshere!!!"

13. Tha Play Maker

Isn't he a bit of a tweener?

You want this guy covering KG or Rasheed?

He'll get torn to bits.

And he's kind of slow to play small forward, although that's where I'd want him to play.

Also, like Stonecold said, this guy is nothing more than a role player. Odds are he's not going to make that jump to become an elite player in this league, at best he's a decent enough role player. A white Robert Horry. I don't want this guy coming here unless he's getting a fair contract. Sorry to rain on anyones parade, but he isn't the guy that gives us a formidable front court.

What we ideally need is a Cato that can score. That's what we're missing.

------------------
    Great players aren't always great, they're only great when they have to be

14. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Oh, I was thinking we would sign Croshere for the mid-level exemption (like 2.5 mil right?). This would be the best option, you could hardly do better than add a guy like Croshere with that exemption.

If we have to trade (I doubt we would be luncky enough to get him via the route above), unless it is for some combination of Collier, Langhi, Drew, or Walt AND keeping our own 1st rounders (I could part with the Milw pick though), I would really have to question the deal. I would be OK losing KT in the deal instead of Collier or Langhi if, and only if, Walt and Drew had to go with him.

------------------
    "The Rockets were ahead of the Suns by 20 late in game 2 of the series, but when the going got tough, we just Pippened . We would not be done in the series though."

15. DaFranchise

DaFranchise Member

Walt and Drew have good trade value, it's not like every team is going after 'em, but there could definitely be some takers.

------------------

16. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Stone Cold Hakeem:
    It don't matter what you think... If you smell what the Rock is cooking. [​IMG]

What are you guys talking about. Who do you plan on guarding Rasheed or KG without Croshere. I think Austin brings an attitude to the Rockets which they are lacking. They do not have any kind of enforcer who is not afraid to go inside. The Rockets need Austins warrior mentality.

I am sorry, but Play Maker you are way off if you are comparing Austin Croshere to Robert Horry. Robert lives on the three point line. Horry does not have the mindset to survive in the lane. That is where you guys are mistaken about Austin. Austin can play outside sure enough. But he can also post up and he is not afraid to bang with the big boys.

Man every player is not going to be a prototype of KG or Rasheed. Sure those are two greats but I think Austin creates matchup problems by being able to switch between the 4 and the 3. Rudy loves having that flexability. Not to mention the fact that Austin can also set a pick and make free throws. I want a man that can do those two things with our guard oriented team. I can't tell you how bad our free throw shooting was last year. We need clutch players and that is exactly what Austin is.
    Call him a role player if you like but please sign him up first.

Austin would fit in perfectly with the Rockets. No question about it.

------------------
    President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

17. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

The Fox people were talking about the mid level exception mainly. I think the "most fair" deal would be a sign and trade of Croshere for 4 million for Drew and around 2.75 million of the exception. That's just my opinion. Now, if we really want to start the dreamcasting, first Sign and Trade Drew/part of exception for Croshere and of course sign Mobley for the Early Bird. Then trade Cato/Los for Fizer/Hawkins. Then trade KT/Walt/about 1 million of exception for Keon Clark/Bryant Stith. Now THAT'S a team.

Hakeem/Collier/Clark
    Fizer/[Collier-Croshere)
    Croshere/Langhi/Bullard
    Anderson/Mobley/Stith
    Francis/Moochie

IR-Take your pick of 3: Hawkins, Pig Miller, Massenburg, Washington, Devin Gray, etc.

The result-An extremely versatile (look at the difference in the centers!), young, great rebounding team (you'll get around 10 boards per game from your backcourt, and having an exceptional rebounding SF in Croshere makes up for any lack that Fizer has in that area, if any. Also is loaded with big shooters, post up men, athleticism, and you have your young shotblocker in Keon Clark. A little tweaking in future drafts (perhaps a Terrence Morris, or a defensive guy like Ken Johnson) and free agency (still should be room for Rashard Lewis I believe) and this team will turn some heads.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 12, 2000).]

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Cato's that can score are not easy to come by......
    Did you even watch Horry going head to head with Croshere in the finals? Croshere tore him apart... he's much more than a white Robert Horry.... and so far as guarding Sheed or Garnett, I think Croshere would be an upgrade over Collier or Thomas attempting to do the job...

StoneCold, you would rather Fizer??? Is that because he's the answer????????????? He's going to be able to guard Sheed and Garnett???? ok.....

Davis would definitely be better, but I can't see Miami throwing him at us, they kind of need him too... Brown has slow feet compared to Croshere, but he is a good defender, but nowhere near the offensive option that Croshere is. Croshere has genuine ability to score inside AND outside and if we could get him at PF it'd be a MAJOR step in the right direction (of course we don't need to throw wads of cash at him.. get him on a decent salary but nothing overly exciting....)

------------------

19. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

"What we ideally need is a Cato that can score. That's what we're missing."

Tim Duncan already is signed with the Spurs.

A little more on what I saw-They showed him talking to CD (I think CD was the one doing the talking [​IMG]) and he seemed genuinely interested in what he was saying. He seemed not "excited" as in huge grin with wide eyes, but interested or intrigued by what Houston has to offer. When I first turned on the TV, I thought we had Croshere agreed to come here by the way it sounded. Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that it didn't seem like a "courtesy" visit, where he already had his mind made up on some other team, but he seemed to really be looking into Houston seriously. Hopefully CD and Rudy can sell him on it, like with Shandon.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by NIKEstrad (edited July 12, 2000).]

20. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Everyone gets torched by KG and Sheed. Until we get the next KG/Sheed, we have to come forward with our next best option.

Croshere or KT or Los or whom?

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count and those who can't.