1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical Race Theory.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jiggyfly, May 17, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which apparently doesn't include the basics of CRT.

VooDooPope likes this.
  2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can you confirm reparations have zero place in CRT?

DFWRocket likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It might depend on what you mean by reparations. Do you mean the monitary equivalent of 40 acres and a mule guaranteed to freed people that had been enslaved? Do you mean recognition that there is a pattern of discrimination and that opportunities aren't arrived at equally for all races?

There are a wide range of what people mean when they talk about reparations.

How does someone teach reparations? Do you have an issue with presenting the idea that there are movements which seek reparations in a college curriculum?

4. basso

Supporting Member

yes.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You just said earlier that you want disadvantaged people to get help to lift them out of poverty.

You realize that's reparations?

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that strikes me as a wildly non-standard use of the term "reparations." Job assistance and job training is "help" to life people out of poverty. Job assistance and job training are not what we ordinarily consider "reparations."

basso likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly property is the most common sense thing here for reparations.

Given the history of of the promised farm land being systemically stolen from them for decades after Reconstruction and then combine that with redlining, The national history has caused a lot fewer black families owning property than what would occur naturally if there was no racism.

8. basso

Supporting Member

FB, dumbing reparations down.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

You were asked how you define reparations. Even different groups who advocate reparations talk about different forms of it.

You mentioned that acknowledging reparations are sought in a college course was something with which you took issue.

You are pushing a policy of ignorance.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Not at all. There is no standard for what constitutes reparations - which really is just compensation of some kind for damages inflicted in the past. All sorts of things have been thrown under the umbrella of reparations.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

on edit: I disagree with the idea that there isn't at least a broadly or generally accepted conception of what's meant by the term "reparations." Your use of the term "compensation" here is somewhat more precise than how you originally framed the concept.

on a second edit. I'm guessing I may be one of the few people here who has taught courses that include the subject of reparations. I have used Janna Thompson's Taking Responsibility for the Past as a textbook. Here is what she says on the question of defining and/or stipulating what is meant by the term. I think this is as good an account as any.

Thompson quote.jpg

#1651 Os Trigonum, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. basso

Supporting Member

thank for confirming the goal of CRT is reparations.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Not anything that I confirmed and I don't understand how you derived that from what I typed, except that you wished that it were so.

All I did was ask you questions, and replied to what you answered. I have never once stated the goal of CRT. It has more than one goal. It is college level material and isn't taught in general k-12 education. All you've said is that you believe college students shouldn't learn about groups that are seeking reparations.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to what has been brought up in this thread you have taught CRT.

#1654 rocketsjudoka, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Sweet Lou 4 2 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

16. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Certainly you can disagree of course.

But from what I remember from a pew survey most people who support reparations see educational scholarships as the most helpful way to deliver them and cash was least. So I don't think there is any kind of "general acceptance" of what form reparations take shape as but their may be a lot in terms of perceptions based on various groups. I'd imagine conservatives see reparations as most like cash compensation given their tilt.

Regardless, I don't see any issue with saying reparations should be in the form of educational support for groups disadvantaged by slavery or other forms of exploitation.

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's fine--but that was not what you originally were saying. You are now making/describing a normative argument ("should be in the form of") whereas your previous statement was broadly--and inaccurately--descriptive:

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I don't see the conflict there. Certainly educational support is one (and perhaps the primary way) to lift people out of poverty.

20. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

to the extent we have public schools and publicly funded education, EVERYONE gets educational support to rise in life.

That does not make EVERYONE the recipient of REPARATIONS.