1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Critical analysis and solutions to McGrady's FT shooting problems

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, Mar 22, 2008.

1. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Because it was his first healthy offseason in a year and a half.... Did you just begin following the Rockets?

2. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Because he gained so much weight in the 2005 offseason. His trainer said he worked harder than any other offseason that year and he did...unfortunately going so hard on the lifting and less cardio made him too bulky, which as a result caused back problems. In the 2006 offseason he pledged to rest that offseason so he would be fine come the 2006-2007 season...bad idea. This offseason, with the help of Dr. Patterson and a good workout regimen that saw him lose the weight, he was in the best shape since becoming a Rocket.

Before the knee injury he was shooting his best since 2002-2003.

3. kejohn

kejohn Member

and Shaq was 7 of 9, the Rox should hire the Suns free throw coach.

4. yo

yo Contributing Member

His FT shooting problems are plain and simple, and that is sheer lack of concentration. He doesn't seem to have a problem getting the ball in the basket shooting 20 feet away with hands in his face, but all of a sudden, he has problems making free throws that are 15 feet of nothing? So obviously, whatever form, technique, etc he uses, it isn't the problem. Just needs to focus, that's all. Do we need to get him a focus coach now? :rolleyes: I'm sure that'll be his next excuse....

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

yes its all a matter of concentration. t-mac simply doesnt focus enough. his FT form is the same as his shooting form.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm not buying that. A good free throw routine and shot should be almost automatic.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

btw OP you said he doesnt point his fingers toward the ground when he follows through. that would be good form but thats not how t-mac shoots. t-mac doesnt have the most textbook form. he barely gets enough arc on his shot. thats why when he misses his misses bounce off the rim hard.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

what are you buying then, that t-mac has a good free throw routine? because obviously thats not the case. anyone can see its a lack of mental focus on t-mac's part. you can critique his hand placement all you want. i really doubt thats going to help him.

9. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

Yeah well about the knee injury. He is the only athlete I have seen sit out a month with a "bone bruise". He is an awesome talent with great ability. He is by far the best passing 2 guard in the history of the game. But he also shoots around 33% from the floor which to me sucks. He also plays about as lazy a game as I have ever seen from someone making 20 million.
    Look I have 4 McGrady jerseys and have always been a fan but I am being objective.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

tmac is the main problem b/c he's the main star. he's gonna get more attempts. he MUST work on those feverishly. do something my god.

but it's not just him. scola is horrible. rafer is shooting 67% (he's a career 76%). battier is low 70s.

everybody is bad outside of yao.

11. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Marvin Harrison sat out 3/4 of the NFL season with the same injury. Knee bruises can be extremely painful. T-Mac TRIED to play on it, and played like ***** for those 2-3 games before re-injuring it, which kept him out nearly a month.

T-Mac shoots 43% from the floor, but exclude the games after the knee injury when he was rusty and out of basketball shape, and he is up around 45% for the season, which is on line with a guy like Kobe.

12. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

The only thing I know is TMAC may be the worst shooting Max contract guard in the game. This is why we need a 3rd star on this team next year. Like Andre Miller.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Everyone keeps talking about back injuries, laziness, heart, etc. I think that knee is still affecting his play. I thought he was actually returning back to his old self until he started nursing that knee. He was explosive, fast, and he was getting more arc on his shot.

Tracy's never been a great FT shooter, though. He is abnormally worse this year and he isn't getting enough arc on it. I also noticed he doesn't get high enough on his jumpshots. Rising over defenders and shooting without being affected by the defense was one his biggest advantages. Now he has to pass off because someone's hand is keeping him from finishing his shooting stroke.

14. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

it's actually more serious than that but sure "bone bruise" was the term. didn't landry sit out 7 games for something less serious. i guess he's a quitter :rolleyes:

marvin harrison sat out longer and actually left after 3-4 plays in a playoff game b/c he couldn't "do it" :rolleyes:

15. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Ever heard of Gilbert Arenas? How about AI when he was with Philly? Joe Johnson (not sure if he is a max, but he is shooting 42% this season)?

C'mon now...

16. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

Look its not all Tmac fault. If he played with better players, especially a scorer who could create, he would have fantastic numbers. But, he should be shooting better than what he is. I mean all the other stars shoot way better than him. And he is not shooting 45%. Maybe from the freethrow line.

17. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

Ok, In my mind I thought TMAC was way better than those guys but your kinda proving my point. There teams suck bad too.

18. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

He WAS shooting above 45% before the knee injury, and had it not been for the lull he had after that injury he'd be at 45% right now.

19. byrdman22

byrdman22 Rookie

You honestly think McGrady is shooting well?

20. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

No, but you're making it out to be like what he is doing is so off from what other stars are doing in terms of FG %. When he is healthy, he is a 45% shooter...that is nothing special, but it also isn't horrible considering that he is a natural streak scorer.