1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

crazy story: greg smiths mom works at krogers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tony Stark, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

So im in line with my harden t-shirt on today and the cashier who is an extremely nice woman asks if im a rockets fan, and of course i say yes, and she just nonchalantly says to me...."huh well a fun fact for you is that greg smith is my son" i was literally in shock...she somewhat resembles him, and i said why do you work here then? she said "i was raised to work and ill do just that until i decide to retire"

now before you get skeptical with asking for pics....i didnt take a picture with the cashier at krogers.....but if you wanna check me on it, she works at the krogers on 11th and shepherd...next time i go ill get a photo, she is the only black female cashier, plus she looks like greg a little bit.......next time i go in there im going to ask her to get me an autograph or something from him.....maybe she can set up a play date haha

2. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Bro story cool.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Did she move to Houston after Greg signed with the Rockets, or did she already live here?

4. conquistador#11

did you use your kroger card?

1 person likes this.
  5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Sounds like a rude thing to ask, IMO.

6. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

I didn't ask....I just assumed she moved here once he signed

7. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

i can confirm, i am register.

1 person likes this.
  8. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Greg smith confirmed scumbag son for not sharing his check with his mom.

9. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Member

She seems like one of those old school people who doesn't want a handout regardless of how big her son has made it, she acted like she was gonna work for herself no matter what......he better have bought her a house or something....she said she's staying in the area so houses aren't that expensive

10. rokit

rokit Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_VH0xCVuJz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  11. sabesque

sabesque Member

Did you ring the bell to give her props for good customer service?

12. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Her son also hasn't gotten FILTHY rich yet. He makes what? 600 thousand dollars a year?

That's a lot of money for certain - but he went undrafted. He's never been guaranteed a place in the league. If he is smart, he is investing his money - not spending it. And after taxes, what do you think he's earned to date? Maybe 500-600 thousand dollars? That's hardly the kind of fortune that means his mom never has to work again.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Also, what's the tax rate for NBA players, and other fees expected from all NBA players? Moreover, Smith right now is a fringe NBA player who may or may not be in the league a few years down the road. It would be unwise for him to spend money like he's a millionaire.

14. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/smithgr02.html#all_salaries

Pre-tax, he's made a bit over $1,000,000. After government taxes and state taxes for games outside of Texas, $600,000 sounds about right. He's guaranteed another $880,000 this year, so you can easily add another $500,000 on top of that. These days, that's nowhere near enough for someone to be set for life. You'd need at least three times as much to get by, probably four to five times as much to be comfortable. And that's assuming you're smart with your purchases.

15. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Cool story. Cool woman!

16. FD_II

FD_II Member

TIL Tony Stark shops at Krogers.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

With 1.4 million you can be set for life if you are cheap.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

You are a confirmed idiot.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And single, car less, child less, and mal nutritioned :p

At Smith's age, it wouldn't get him past 60.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think maybe he has kept about half of his salary after taxes, management fees, etc. But who knows....taxes for athletes seems to be excessively complex

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...urns-illustrate-complexities-of-u-s-tax-code/