1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crazy Ideas: AI + Winning at the FT line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by senter, Oct 27, 2011.

1. senter

senter Member

So i was reading up on Allen Iverson's---

yes, that's the AI I'm referring to in the title, commence judgement

---Allen Iverson's vegas league (in which both Kyle Lowry and Marcus Morris are playing in as part of the Philly Team) and there was talk of him wanting back in the NBA and how he'll play for anyone.

Obviously he could be had on the cheap, but my first thought was, we're stacked at the guard positions, we wouldn't have any need (or room) for him, but then I realized that our best chance to get an upgrade at center or small forward is through trades. That means that someone of value has to go. Of course, none of us mind if Thabeet, Hill, or Williams are dealt, but more than likely, we're going to have to include someone like Lee or Dragic if we want to land a quality 3 or 5. We all know the bulls are in love with C Lee, and we had our eye on asik last season. If a trade like that were to go down, we would be short a backup guard, and then there's automatically a spot for Iverson. Why would we want Iverson? Well, the main reason is because he is a master at drawing fouls and getting to the line. You know who else is one of the best in the league? Our very own Kevin Martin. With both AI and mini mart on our team, imagine how quickly we could get in the bonus. Besides maybe scola and hayes, our main rotation is a pretty good free throw shooting team, so we could really benefit from this. As painfully slow as the games might be, a win is a win, and getting freebies at the free throw line would definitely help out that winning cause. Also, it would be a low risk high reward situation. If we sign him to a really cheap contract and he turns into the person he was in memphis and philly (round 2) then we just don't play him, waive him, whatever. How much could a small, one year contract hurt us? I think it's worth a shot and the possibility of constantly being in the bonus early intrigues me. Of course, there are other pros and cons but I just wanted to touch on the ability to draw fouls of both AI and martin. What do you guys think?

Allen Iverson: potential low risk acquisition? or a "we don't need a quitter on this team" situation?

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Allen Iverson is a washed up has been.

3. daeyeth

daeyeth Member

AI off the bench? uhh... third time's a charm?:rolleyes:

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He's done. Lets move on.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would take him as a back up PG, If we were actually a good team trying to make the playoffs...

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

What about defense?

7. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

He proved last year that he's not interested in being a bench player.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the AI comeback experiment has failed like three times on three different teams.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I would take all three of our point guards over AI right now. AI is one of my favorite players, but he is not a move I would look at considering when the season starts.

Flynn has a chip on his shoulder and has been busting his ass off this off season. I have seen a couple of his workouts and he ends it soaked in sweat.

Lowry, of course has been documented as busting his tail this off season as well. He will be playing a lot this season and will be our best player if our roster remains the same.

Dragic, he has potential to be a special player in the league, in my opinion. He is a top one-on-one defender and is a winner. He is tough, athletic, and is interested in improving all facets of his game. I am not saying he is anywhere close to Nash, but he reminds me a lot of Nash the way he plays his offense.

We are set at the point guard position for a while unless if we get a guy like CP3, which is closer to reality than say Dwight, it is still a dream away.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If not AI, we should give a look at Larry Hughes and Steve Francis while we are at it. I heard Cat Mobley still wants to play too.

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Well, we would undoubtedly be one of the funnest teams in the league to watch. 110 PPG anyone? Too bad we'd give up 115.

No way. If we're gonna throw the season, at least let Terrance take 20 shots per game. He's either 100% garbage or he turns into an All-Star given the opportunity. His IQ may prevent that, but the physical tools are there.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

He is done and washed up. This is not the year 2001 anymore, it's 2011.

13. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

This would work out exactly like bringing Francis back.

14. cod

cod Member

The wrong AI to make this team relevant again.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We should get Chris Webber to get this team going.

16. ClutchCity3

ClutchCity3 Member

How about the guy named Tracy in Orlando?

17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

AI just needs to work out his inevitable deal with Miami when the lockout ends.

18. Raven

Raven Member

Worst idea of the Summer.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nahhh.....pass. Iversons washed up.

20. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

iverson is on E. we need players that is on F