1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane said we could have a new uniform and logo.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houston#1, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Do we need to change our uniform and logo?

1. Yes, we need a fresh start.

203 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. No, our current uniform and logo still look great.

76 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. TISNF

TISNF Member

Just your opinion. If the open star disappears, it too will be considered the new retro with people clamoring for it.

I see no reason why the open star (on one hat) and the classic H-star (or a slightly modified variety) on another cap cannot co-exist as home/away and alternate.

The open star is simple, clean, and unique. It would be a shame if the organization chooses to discard it (though I would understand if they choose to move it out of the forefront).

2. msn

msn Member

I have always loved the open star. That said, to think it would be embraced "in retro" on the same level as the H-star logo seems to me to underestimate the historical context of that logo. That open star will need another twenty years of history to begin to compare. For now, I'd say it compares more to the Rocket Panamas than the classic H-star logo.

3. msn

msn Member

I love how phones think they know what I meant to say. I corrected the damn autocorrect twice and it STILL put "Panamas". Dumbass droid.

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

NOTHING comes close in comparison to the pajamas (actually the only thing would be are the rainbow uniforms that, if not for an urban revival for its gaudiness in the late 90s, would considered as bad as those "pajamas").

And, yes, certainly it would take some time for the open star to be appear "retro", but for many fans (under ~30-35), the H-star was considered old and outdated, not classic and timeless -- until, I'd say, within the last five years.

Obviously that's my opinion, but if the H-star was so timeless and important, why was no one clamoring for it when the Astros were winning pennants?

Both are good and fit different eras, but certainly they can coexist.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I guess those people must not have watched much baseball over the last 20 years if the first thing they think of is the closed star H.

That's a stretch. No matter how you feel about the logo, non-Astros fans would never lump us with those teams. That's just nostalgic homerism.

Hey, I like the old logo but I like the new one a lot too. I think it's simple and classic.

Unlike the NFL, where 2/3 of the primary logos have no lettering at all, virtually every hat logo in baseball is a "letter" design. The only ones I can think of that don't are the Indians, who returned to a "C" for their road caps but still use Chief Wahoo at home, and the Blue Jays. I actually really dig that that the Astros are somewhat unique in that respect.

6. msn

msn Member

That I'll give you. What a barf fest. But the point was that the open star logo, especially having been changed at least once, is no more than an afterthought historically if the Astros abandon it now. An afterthought like the pajamas (but with less barfiness).

In your circle, maybe. I've seen plenty of guys from our generation wearing the classic hats for many years.

Because they were? "Clamoring" is a bit of an unfair requirement, as these circumstances are unique. But I have pretty much always seen the classic hat as much as if not more than the open star. To me, that says a lot.

I agree with you here.

7. TISNF

TISNF Member

The shapes of the stars differ only slightly, so I could actually see a very tiny modification to the old star shape to match the newer open star (and perhaps a slightly thicker "H"). For example, a recolor of both (with a darker blue and more of a "burnt orange"...a nod to both Rice and UT):

[​IMG]

8. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Went to the game tonight and I saw something interesting. Have any of you noticed the sponsor signs in the outfield? How can you miss it right! It's taking up a third of the wall behind the Crawford boxes. Now we knew about that, but if you look above the sponsor signs there is an Astros "Community Leaders" sign.

I wish I could have gotten a picture but I only had my cell phone. The sign was blue and it featured, what looked like an "H over star" logo, centered in a baseball diamond. I've never seen that logo before and when I did a search for their community outreach program nothing came up really.

Just a coincidence or a hint of things to come? Nothing else at MMP that relates to the Astros is blue that I can recall. Except for the 50th Anniversary stuff, everything is brick red and uses the current logo. The sponsor billboards are that company's colors sure, but if it's Astros related, it's pretty much brick red. So why make a huge, permanent sign in a completely different color and logo that they are using now, unless....

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but it did spark my curiosity. And it's not too noticeable. I couldn't get a good clear view of it myself because it's so high up there.

9. msn

msn Member

Take your Nikon to next game and post the pics!

10. pacman0590

pacman0590 Member

that logo is on the seats at the ends of the aisles as well pretty sure its nothing new.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Two quick points for everyone to consider: 1) MLB has not yet approved the Astros' new uniforms; 2) even when they do, the Astros cannot - and will not - reveal any (certainly obvious) aspect of it until given clearence to do so (post-World Series - or it might be regular season; can't remember).

That doesn't mean enterprising Twits won't leak it - it just means the Astros won't be the ones leaking.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I kind of figured I was looking too much into it...but it's fun to speculate.

13. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Why not join both old and new together?

How about keeping the open star(possibly tweaking it) and throwing the classic H over it like the classic...

I wiah i was good at photoshop(or atleast on my computer instead of phone) to try and recreate wht im envisioning... maybe a orange open star with navy blue H and white trim, or vice versa or sonethin....

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

its been addressed in this thread already.. it looks way too cluttered for an mlb logo..

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showpost.php?p=6430226&postcount=150

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I had a dream last night where I saw the new uniforms and cap. They were awesome. Totally not what we expected. Orange was the dominant color with red, blue, and yellow as accessory colors.

The star seemed to be shooting from Southeast to Northwest on the logo. It was awesome.

The cap was a different logo that featured the H in some way, I just can't remember. I just remember being blown away by them.

Unfortunately, I am no psychic and our logo will be something we've seen before, ala the classics, in my opinion.

16. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

I hope orange isn't the dominant color, they'd look like a bunch of pumpkins and be an even larger laughing stock than they already are. :(

17. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

18. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

But that's not what is on their caps, they just have a "T." Your picture compares to this logo:

[​IMG]

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Maybe - but they're not going to.

The color reveal is coming *very* soon, btw...................

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Astros owner Jim Crane says MLB will unveil the club's new uniforms after the season is over. Crane says the new uniforms "look really good"</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/236266107219111937" data-datetime="2012-08-17T01:00:04+00:00">August 17, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>