1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane said we could have a new uniform and logo.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houston#1, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Do we need to change our uniform and logo?

1. Yes, we need a fresh start.

203 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. No, our current uniform and logo still look great.

76 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

who are the Astronauts???

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Notsureifsrs.jpg

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

The Astros is NOT short for Astronauts...

4. Apps

Apps Member

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

uhh no, the name is indeed inspired by the space program and the word astronauts but the team name is not and has never been The Houston Astronauts.. The team name Astros itself is not short for "The Astronauts" in the sense that "The Knicks" is short for "The Knickerbockers"..

The Astros are exactly that, "The Astros", they never have and never been called the Astronauts..

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Joe is right. The Astros have never called themselves anything but the Astros since adopting the name. "Astro", as a prefix, means "pertaining to celestial bodies". It's a somewhat generic and broad term to refer to space. That's why in addition to "astronaut", it's also used in words "astronomy", "astrology", "astrogation/astronavigation", and "astrophysics". Yes, the Astros were named in reference to the space program, but attaching "Astronauts" to the Astros is trying to make something specific out of something that was left broad.

7. Apps

Apps Member

Well, I've seen it written elsewhere that the owner's original intent was to name the team the astronauts but shortened it to Astros knowing that that's what reporters were going to do anyway. Though the team was never officially dubbed the astronauts, there seems to be a lot of evidence and history showing that that's definitely what Astros is short for. Regardless, I was only being facetious with the name and I think josephnicks got a bit too technical about it.

8. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

And what exactly would you call what you just did? Non-technical?

Regardless, if the Astros keep losing....expect those uniforms to leak rather quickly....

9. Apps

Apps Member

Not to get technical, but I said too technical. :p

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I thought about this post yesterday at Academy. They had Altuve shirts and a Jason Castro shirt that looked a lot better than he plays.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Take the numbers off the pants and these rainbow unis are the best there is, the best there ever was, and the best there ever will be. 'Nuff said.

Just need a retro modern logo to go with it.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you're in the minority, the rainbow guts/tequila sunrise unis are terrible, worst in astros history. truly an eyesore..

13. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Crane has said we will mix the old and the new. I am predicting a blue cap with an orange open star. As for the jerseys, I do not have a prediction...it could be anything.

14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

this is not true. he thought the astros would be nicknamed the 'tros by the press and started using the short name "tros." instead what happened is the astros were called "'stros" with an "s" by the media and fans. so the owners idea of 'tros died anyway. all that said, NEVER has the term astronauts been used.

15. tigereye

tigereye Member

I think you're right here.

I'm also predicting the current "shooting star" recolored to blue/orange and paired with the 1965-70 Astros uni's. It's almost the perfect marriage of old meets new for a team named "Astros" playing in a retro ballpark.

[​IMG]

16. SuraGotMadHops

Say what?

[​IMG]

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i have a feeling thats whats happening also..

18. tigereye

tigereye Member

So essentially this.

[​IMG]

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

they'd then essentially just be changing the color scheme for a 2nd time. i have to believe that there is a larger change in the works.

20. Hightop

Hightop Member

The open star sucks. It is '90s clip-art . Please just give us a real star.