1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane said we could have a new uniform and logo.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by houston#1, Nov 17, 2011.

?

Do we need to change our uniform and logo?

1. Yes, we need a fresh start.

203 vote(s)
    72.8%
  2. No, our current uniform and logo still look great.

76 vote(s)
    27.2%
  1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

If this is the direction they're going in, they might as well keep the current uniforms they've had for 12 years. Really going to be disappointed if Hey Now's guess is correct. Ugh.

#281 Rocketman95, Jun 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

They'd have to re-do most signage anyway with a new logo, and the rest of the "mass renovation" would just be a huge paint-job. I don't think eliminating the red is out of the question -- but I do think the orange might not fly because of the other teams using orange, as pointed out.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't understand...more teams use red than orange, anyway....and our partiuclar shade of red is almost identical to the one the D-Backs use.

Ultimately, if we're talking about rebranding entirely....I think it's worth it to invest in a new paint job, particularly coinciding with the franchise's move to the AL.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

On second thought, the Giants, Marlins, and Mets are all in the NL anyway so I don't see why it would matter. And none of them have orange as the primary color either.

5. MadMax

Agreed..and the Mets came into the league the very same year we did with orange. They've never used orange as a primary color...except for alternate uniforms, no team in MLB history has used orange as a primary color other than the Astros. There's probably a good reason for that! :) But it's also good reason to use it as a secondary color to pay homage to the franchise's heritage.

6. Hightop

Hightop Member

This is why the current Astros colors are red:

[​IMG]

I'm sure Crane has no problem getting rid of it - even in the stadium etc.

7. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What does this have to do with Obama?

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Very possible - but I can tell you that it is a *massive* overhaul and probably bigger than you (or most) realize. The retired jerseys are current colors, all the walls are current colors, a lot of the sponsorship displays, all the concession signage, seat signage, cups... They're lucky the seats are generic - but I can tell you, it's a concern for them in terms of what to do. That ballpark was designed with current color scheme prominently in mind.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Didn't someone get a nice $50 million discount for moving the team to the AL? That can go to repainting MMP. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. MadMax

i love this! :)

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

wouldn't any logo and color change necessitate alterations close to the degree you are talking about? keeping one or even two of the primary colors would really save that much money you think?

seems like a large revamp would be required either way.

12. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

[​IMG]

all the evidence is pointing to navy/orange
    i hope we bring back the H/Star logo on a navy cap, minus the orange squatcho..

13. Apps

Apps Member

Man, I'm glad that the gold didn't make it into the Texans color scheme. It looks so stuffy and indistinct.

14. Hey Now!

Sure. Keeping red, though, would at least minimize the size of the revamp.

It may very well be a logistical issue, not a financial one. And they may be fully prepared to make all the necessary changes. But I know it's a concern for them, and I can speak from some personal experience: few people really understand how deep their roots are with a brand until they start trying to change it. I would be willing to bet "uniform change!" was made independent of them fully considering the ramifications of a uniform change. Every day, you discover something else that has to be changed and it is a long, expensive process.

The red is me speculating. Nothing more.

15. ALoneStarTexan

Good catch yourself, You've got me there, I hardly catch myself looking at the walls and pillars as I'm usually looking out towards the field.

They should just re-paint the walls and pillars a neutral color like white or grey.

16. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Changing the colors and logo of any professional team is always a massive undertaking. The Stros are kinda lucky knowing the vintage Astros gear is some of the most popular stuff out there. So they spend a lot of money to rebrand and re color everything, but with new logo and colors comes a lot of money in merchandise sales. Add in the talk that the new stuff will have a retro feel and they should sell a lot of stuff to non Astros fans too that already buy the retro gear! Im sure there was a nice size budget put a side just for the rebranding. Crane is a smart owner. Give the fans what they want and they will come support the team and buy the merchandise. Also, who's to say that they need to repaint. Just push forward with the red brick color being the color of Minute Maid Park not the Astros. Problem solved.

17. Secret Agent 7

Crane Worldwide's colors are: Green & Blue = ugly combination (unless you live in Seattle).

18. SupermoochieFro

Curious of if the GREENEVILLE Astros would get the new color/theme change as well!:grin:

19. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

I personally believe orange will be a prominent color. Just because that the one color that most people associate with retro Astros baseball. I don't think old logos will be a part of the new uniform as much as we think/hope.

I do get the sense from Crane that he would be willing to change a lot of the ballpark's scheme if that's what he has to do to rebrand. The guy contemplated a name change (even if it was just for a second, or was just lip service), if you are willing to go there....you gotta be willing to change up some paint and materials.

20. Hey Now!

It isn't. But the Old Navy does have a new neighbor in the shopping center: a Home Depot...................

1 person likes this.