1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane: next talks in Jan re AAA team to Houston area

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Nov 18, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Better product, cheaper, closer, lots of reasons.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Because it's fun, and very family friendly.

The majority of people who attend the games have no clue who the players are, nor or they really that invested in the result. That's why minor league ball is so notorious for the goofy events and giveaways.

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Same here. I also don't really get the SL vs Woodlands argument. Is there really that much difference in distance?

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Camp Strake sale finalized

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sad about Camp Strake...but with all of the development in the area, it's probably better that the scouts move north.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

http://www.statesman.com/news/sport...ess-could-be-heading-toward-a-switch-b/nfYjT/

Rumors that the Express could switch back to the Astros. The Express can get out of their agreement with the Rangers if both sides agree to terminate

Reasons Why They Would
    The Ryans Want to
    The Rangers have a 3 decade history with the Oklahoma City team and have the chance to buy it

Reasons Why They Would't
    The Austin Market is blowing up and the Rangers have made HUGE strides in Central Texas. They're kicking the Astros out of the territory completely.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I still feel Austin (and most of Texas) will gravitate to whichever team is "good", regardless of minor league affiliation.

In fact, during the Astros winning years, some Express fans in Austin were getting disgruntled due to the constant promoting of players to the Astros (some skipping AAA all-together).... If they rooted for the Astros, it was because of how good/popular the team was (and not just because of the former express players).

In order to get back central Texas, the Astros need to start winning regularly again.

8. shsu33

shsu33 Member

2018 is not that far off, lets just wait for Round Rock. Austin is getting bigger and how far is it from there, not a huge deal. Woodlands might not even support a AAA franchise

9. leroy

I was a regular attendee of Express games during those years and I don't remember any disgruntled fans. Who skipped AAA in those years? Pence would've been the closest as he only played a month in AAA.

If they come back, I will buy season tickets.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was the EOF's!

Maybe it was dating back to the AA time. Carlos Hernandez, Tim Redding, Taveras, Hirsch, Buchholz among others.

Again, it probably was just a select few, and I seem to remember a statesman article complaining about the Astros promotions... But I stand by the statement that just having the affiliate there would not be enough to recapture the region. MLB team needs to win.

11. leroy

I do agree with that. I don't think there's even and Austin radio affiliate for the Astros any longer. 1300 doesn't ever seem to air games. They need to get back on tv, on the radio...and be at least a threat of being a decent team. Though, getting them back in the next year or 2 would be perfect timing with some of the brighest prospects coming through the system. That would be a big help in getting central Texas back. Who wouldn't want to see Springer play in an Express uniform next year?

1 person likes this.
  12. leroy

The article says it could happen as soon as September. Why would you wait until 2018?

13. Buck Turgidson

I think it's inevitable at this point. So happy.

14. msn

msn Member

button, pushed. :grin::grin:

15. msn

msn Member

I'll believe it when I see it, but I will also be thrilled.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Was RR ever a AAA team for the Astros? EDIT, sorry, just remembered they were. They were always AA when I lived there.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I guess for however long CC was around before we lost them (RR that is). I still remember New Orleans Zeyphers as our AAA affiliate.

#37 juicystream, Apr 14, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Tucson was the place I remember the Astros getting players from when I was a kid.

19. msn

msn Member

The Tuscon Toros!

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

Johnson Development Corp's plans for Camp Strake site revealed. No mention of Astros. I'm guessing Crane wasn't able to strike a deal as hoped.

http://m.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/08/plans-finally-revealed-for-camp-strake-property.html?ana=twt&r=full