1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crane-- "Astros Name will not Change"

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by juicystream, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

True. My biggest argument is that lowering ticket prices and making the park more fan-friendly is the exact opposite of trying to alienate fans. If he really wanted to move the team, then keeping ticket prices high and not putting a good product on the field gives him more ammo to move, IMO.

I don't think moving the team is at all in his consideration...only trying to slowly repair the utter mess that Drayton left the team in.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and revenues are incredible. financially, MLB is killing it.

3. MadMax

I'm not arguing with you...but his "big news" so far is a league change and talk of a name change for a 50 year old franchise. Those have kinda stolen the show from better all you can eat ticket prices.

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I just watched the press conference again. What I got from the comments was not, "we are changing the name" but rather we are evaluating the franchise as a whole and are going to do whatever needs to be done to be successful in all aspects. If that means changing the uniforms, changing the name or putting energy efficient toilets in all the bathrooms, then that is what we will do. Personally, I don't think they have any notion to change the name. I'm more inclined to believe they will use this as an opportunity to come out soon to say, "After the outpouring of support for the current name, there is no chance it will be changed!". "See we are listening to the wishes of the fans."

5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Sorry, not accusing you of arguing. I guess in the long run...he has us talking about the Astros in mid-January. If nothing else, he's generating publicity....be it good or bad.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

How about the Houston Strip Malls?

7. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

And I was going to add into my post above something along these lines. I think that is an unfortunate consequence but a very fair evaluation of the name change outcry.

8. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

You typed the words right out of my mouth. That's exactly how I saw it, as well.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, like MadMax said, financially MLB is killing it.

It is my contention, though that they are throwing out the baby with the bathwater. For they are also killing the spirit of the game with no respect for the history, integrity, or soul of our national pastime.

10. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Houston 36ers - the founding of the city of Houston, TX in the year 1836. It sounds just like the 49ers or 76ers.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

God dammit, if he does this, I am DONE with this franchise forever.

1 person likes this.
  12. MadMax

right? one flush oughta get it!!! :mad:

13. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to sell tickets and reinvigorate the fan base. It's not the name on the front that needs to change, it's the names on the back!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Let's see... change the league... check. Change the name? whaaaa? What's next, gonna play a different sport?

I hope this is just a move to remind people they love the team in face of the league change, because if he changes the name, it would be the best way to lose fans. Might gain some... but I'm guessing if you weren't a Houston Baseball fan before, most won't change your mind because of a new name. Seems more likely PR than FU, but maybe that's just me hoping.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Houston Oilers!

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

good memory, sir. and here i was thinking i didn't have much of a voice on these boards. :)

17. MadMax

Just saw the guys on PTI say keep the name. "Why change it? Just because you're changing leagues?" Wilbon said don't change it...but if you're gonna change it the only thing you can change it to is Colt .45's.

18. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

So go root for the Yankees. The Astros are important to us. And it's a pretty good history. There were two different decades in which the Astros were the winningest team in MLB. Those twenty years and a lot of others, they brought plenty of joy to me.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would feel much better if they changed the name. Calling this abominaton of an AL team .Astros' is what really offends me. If he changes the name, there is a reasonable chance that I won't attempt to murder the man if I am ever in his presence.

If you are going to kill the team by moving it to the AL, have the good grace to make sure it is totally dead. Kill it with fire.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Although, for the most part, the Astros were very successful from 1994 - 2005, they never were the winningest team in MLB in any 10 year stretch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.