1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Craig Sager has Leukemia according to son

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Prayers to your father-in-law. Lymphoma has been very rough, and I sympathize with him, and of course, you. I've recently become more self-aware of how disease impacts the people who are supporting the person afflicted with an illness. It rips through every one, in one way or another.

I noticed how one of my best buddies (and a guy I coach with) has lost noticeable weight because of the stress of my condition. He admitted that he doesn't eat,when I don't eat, because he thought that it would offend me. In turn, his appetite isn't the best. I've felt badly about that ever since....and I make sure to bring Starbucks "junk" all the time now haha.

Anyway, the big C hurts us all, loudly or silently, and there really doesn't seem to be a "best way" of dealing with it as the patient or the friend. :(

Love to you and yours.

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Cancer sucks.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't know how people continue to fight it. I don't think I could. I'd just be ready to go. It is a very depressing thing. :(

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.turner.com/pressroom/united-states/turner-sports/nba-tnt/statement-behalf-craig-sager

6. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

What choice do you have though? You play the cards you're dealt. I have all too many friends that are going through this right now. You control what you can and hope for the best. It's awful. The upshot is that in the next two or three decades, most cancers will likely be curable or turned into a chronic disease. The strides we've made in the past decade alone have been enormous. It's not blind optimism, it's grounded firmly in reality. Just not soon enough for Craig Sager :(

7. Exiled

Exiled Member

skipping treatment make things much worse and more painful.

i am not sure there an accurate general survival rate to any type of cancer , because each case is very different .

i had seen a case of a women who suffer from psychiatric disorder and refused treatment.despite having a very curable early stage cancer.
    by the law, you cant force the patient to be treated. the paper work and court case filing and such consumed a lengthy amount of time .almost a year after she was rushed to the hospital, her statues was beyond what a person can think it would be imaginable. the tumor became macrocosmic that had eaten her flush with a very terrible odors totally rotton , she was put into so called Negative Pressure room , the only good thing she lost the sense of pain at some point

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

My mom had the exact same cancer and fought for two years, it is just a beast, hopefully we can cure this monster some day.

One of my dear friends is dying of Pancreatic cancer as well. Cancer sucks.

DD

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

that's awful and unfortunate really .

i hope your friend had an early detection diagnoses ,if that the case most likely he would be cured in no time and kick some cans with you

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Dude, can you stop?

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

i do this for a living ;) so why should i stop

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually he is dying - he fought it for 2 years, and he is now in hospice, we visit him often - as he is one of the poker crew I play with - and his one wish was that he wanted to see his daughter graduate from A&M but did not think he would make it, so his son contacted A&M and they did a graduation ceremony in his driveway this week.

PURE CLASS!

DD

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That's great DD, very classy. I lost a family friend to pancreatic cancer. Can't wait for the day when people don't have to suffer through that..

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If too painful, I'd end it instantly (of course my perspective might be different if I was actually going through it).

Or I'd sell meth.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

My uncle has Stage 4 stomach cancer, my friend's girlfriend recently passed away at the age of 32 from ovarian cancer, one of my good friends from high school passed away a few years ago from pancreatic cancer.....the list goes on and on. Cancer affects all of us in one way or another, and it's an absolute monster. I can't wait until the day where a cancer diagnosis is talked about in the same way as small pox or polio. Prayers to everyone in this thread who is or has been affected by this terrible disease.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hey! We know that guy! Craig Sager interviewing our very own <a href="https://twitter.com/TheJetOnTNT">@TheJetonTNT</a>! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SagerStrong?src=hash">#SagerStrong</a> <a href="https://t.co/2QDhsNGxbD">https://t.co/2QDhsNGxbD</a></p>&mdash; NBA on TNT (@NBAonTNT) <a href="https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/715040883499003905">March 30, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

On the cover of Sports Illustrated.

[​IMG]

18. i3artow i3aller

19. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GX1nOKrZSNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

Prayers going out to your friend and his family....

From what I remember pancreatic cancer is one of those cancers that is hard to treat? Cancer really does suck... I am dealing with my mother now and her breast cancer as she has been going to chemotherapy. They are basically injecting poison into your body to kill the "bad cells" but in a lot of case they kill the good cells as well. My dad also was affected by cancer with a diagnosis of colon cancer but is doing better seven years later.

My first reality with cancer was with my 2 year old son who had a brain tumor in the back of his head. He kept falling when he walking and he was nauseated a lot and initially the doctors diagnosed it as an earache but my wife and her motherly instinct insisted that it was something more. Just so happened that when we took him back to the doc office our original doc was on vacation and the treating doc that day also didn't think much either but my wife was persistent and we got setup for an MRI appointment that weekend after initially being told the earliest available slot was 3 months ..somehow the doc pulled some strings and we got in the next day on a Saturday and we eventually found out about the tumor. My son had surgery that Monday.

Well to make a long story shorter, 13 years later my son is a sophomore in high school this year and because of side effects from the chemo and radiation to the brain he has "challenges" in school but we will take that challenge every day of the week considering the alternative.