1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Craig Ackerman doing radio play by play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Blatz, Dec 14, 2005.

1. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

I still prefer Gene Peterson. I like Ackerman okay, but he's too slow for NBA calling, IMO. I think he's too used to the pace of WNBA games. :p

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I wish they would make this guy Craig the regular play by play guy. He's awesome. I'm actually enjoying listening to the games now.

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Ackerman is doing great, and I am also liking Matt Jackson more in the post-game show. Matt J gets really excited about the Rockets and that makes you, as a listener, get excited about the team.

MattJ and Ackerman rock.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Hey Tiger, what's up with us out of towners not being able to listen to the Rockets radio broadcast (SR610)? I can listen to other programs, but not the Rockets, not even the pregame or postgame shows. I like Ackerman

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I heard a caller to the station once complain about that, and they said that for licensing/legal reasons, the can't stream the game over the net (probably NBA doesn't authorize it so you have to subscribe to their audio pass or whatever else they got).

Same issue during the Jim Rome show in the morning, they can't stream it over the net so you hear nothing during those 3 hours his show is on.

6. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

You say this like it's a bad thing. :p

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Hagerdorn should be doing the radio play by play.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Glad to hear Craigs doing well. He's a nice guy. I was in the same broadcasting classes with him at Sam Houston State in Huntsville. I'm not sure if he's originally from Houston or not, but He's been working in Houston since college. think he graduated from Sam in '95.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Ackerman is a great talent
    Gino is a legend

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Heard him for the first time last night. He's not bad, but he tends to yell REALLY LOUD when something good happens. So loud that his mic starts distorting! And IMO he does it a little too often. But, yeah he's got a lot of potential.

Geno has his faults (backing it in, backing it in, turning-faking-leaning-faking-turning-faking-leaning-faking, foul, no call, turning-faking-leaning-faking-turning-faking-leaning-faking, traveling, no call...) but I can't imagine not hearing him doing Rocket games anymore. I literally grew up listening to him. It just wouldn't be the same.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Gino is a legend, but I feel bad for the guy, I haven't heard him in a couple of years, until earlier this year and he sounds...well, old, still great, but man he's probably not aging well. I hope he's okay. :(

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

How the heck do you listen to basketball? Are we in the 50s again?

13. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

you forgot...."ohhhhh.......How Sweet It Is"

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

heard ackerman last night. as much as i like gene, i enjoy ackerman much more. sorry gene. :(