1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Craig Ackerman] coaches considering Troy Daniels for spot in playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 16, 2014.

1. basketballholic

The difference there is Lin. We do have Lin on the roster and he is an established part of the rotation. We really can't take him out of the rotation either. He is the primary pick-and-roll playmaker behind Harden. And if we developed Canaan into this role right now then we would have zero chance of moving Lin this offseason. Lin has to stay in the rotation and we have to hope and pray he plays well.

However, back to your point about Canaan. While not quite on the elite level shooting wise that Daniels is...make no mistake about it...Canaan is a very, very good shooter. He is far superior to both Lin and Beverley shooting the basketball. With consistent minutes and a consistent role he will prove that next year.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

Our own Mike Miller?

3. Oracle

Oracle Member

Why do you think I don't like him?? I like him very much and I seriously hope he is booked as a serious project for the Rockets. My only concern is the playoffs. Now is not the timer for experiments.

4. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Sample size. Bev, Canaan, Lin are all inconsistent. Troy Daniels been playing against scrubs, how will he do with elite perimeter defense we do not know. Canaan and Troy are similar, good shooter, but not great finisher when driving to the rim. That means they can be floor spacers with Harden and Howard playing as they command the opposite team to step out to guard them, but not much else as they lack of a game driving to the basket once the opponent closes out on them.

And did I mention sample size? sample size.

1 person likes this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Playoff rotation will probably look something like this....

Beverley / Lin
    Harden / Daniels
    Parsons / Garcia
    TJones
    Howard / Asik

If TJones doesn't perform, we go small and try to outscore people, relying on Dwight and Asik to make up for our deficiencies. I expect to see a lot of Bev/Lin/Harden/Parsons lineups, with Garcia and Daniels sprinkled in for relief.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Last night's performance reminds me of the final regular season game of 1994. I went to that one at the Summit where the Rockets took on the Nuggets. Rudy was resting most of the starters and some unknown player from the CBA named Chris Jent started raining down 3s from everywhere. He wound up on the playoff roster and actually played some meaningful minutes during that title run.

BTW, that Nuggets game was also notable because Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf missed a free throw that cost him the single season percentage record that Calvin Murphy held. Apparently I wasn't the only one aware of it either, cuz the crowd erupted when he missed.

7. AvgJoe

Troy Daniels will only be in rotation if Lin's shots aren't falling and he's turning the ball over at the same time. Or Bev is reinjured. He's here for insurance. Don't get your hopes up.

DMo will be in rotation.

8. basketballholic

We've got enough sample size on Daniels' shooting between here and RGV. He has to be closed out on early and tight. Otherwise he's firing and it's gonna go down with a significant degree of accuracy. Long, elite perimeter defenders can shut him down but they have to get up in his grill and it takes them out of recovering to help anywhere else. Against elite defenders with Troy out there we will essentially be playing 4 on 4 for them to be able to shut him down.

Can he finish??? Doubtful. But that's not critical for his role. He either catches and shoots or he drags out the defender high and tight and leaves the pick-and-roll action with other options. We really don't need him to finish. We need him to fire the 3-ball and open the floor.

Defensively?? Huge question mark there for sure.

9. count_dough-ku

Daniels also can never be allowed to inbound the ball after what happened last Saturday against New Orleans.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

morey on 790 said Daniels is second best shooter we've had since Steve Novak. I think prey is high on him. for a situational spot up shooter he's pretty on. his shot mechanics are great.

you don't have to be a brand name to be a shooter in this league. as other poster mentioned Chris jent that year hit some big 3s against Phoenix that year.

11. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

I actually think Casspi is decent when he plays with the starters because he's pretty good at throwing alley oop passes for TJ and Dwight

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey should try to get Novak back for floor spacing.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

LOL. I remember Jent too. I hope Daniels has a better career than Jent.

14. anchel

anchel Member

Novak couldn't stay onf the floor because of his defense. Seems like Daniels can.

15. AvgJoe

Sample size? Here was 2 games against the same scrub team.

RGV? That is against different but scrub nonetheless teams. It's a huge difference between wide open 3s vs. contested 3s. He won't get as open in playoff and what happens then? We don't know if he will make those then. I rather betting on Lin, at least Lin has a chance to blow by the closer and finish around the basket. Daniel is a better shooter for sure, but he's too one dimensional and hasn't gained enough trust.

Let's not get started on defense.

I think Daniels has a chance to crack rotation next season, but not this playoff unless Bev is reinjured and Lin is playing dumb again (or back spasm, whatever you call it)

16. count_dough-ku

He will, although there are worse fates in professional basketball than winning a title as a player and then becoming an assistant coach(and briefly an interim head coach) for many years.

17. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

Troy Daniels can take Cassipi's minutes thankfully

18. jocar

jocar Member

You're kidding right? Talk about cynical!

19. Yellow

Yellow Member

Why are people freaking out, McHale is not stupid, he will probably start with 2 minutes at the end of a quarter or more minutes in case of a blowout. He will then see from there.

20. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Is anyone making "Trey" Daniels 22pts highlights?