1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Craig Ackerman] coaches considering Troy Daniels for spot in playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Oracle

Oracle Member

Am I really? Did you notice how irritated Dwight was when he didn't get the ball in the paint in the yesterdays Pelicans game? Troy Daniels is not going to play 44 minutes in the playoffs. He may play 11 minutes (which is much) and score 6 points. That would be a really great contribution from him (and I truly mean it).

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I highly doubt Canaan will be pushing Daniels for minutes at this point.

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Do you honestly think that Dwight cared about his post touches in the last game of the regular season when he's shooting Jumpers and 3 pointers?

4. Rox7

Rox7 Member

Sample size too small.
    Can we trust a guy who only played 76 mins for the Rockets?

But I know Morey is looking for a good 3pt shooter, none of our guys are reliable 40%+ shooters.

Harden, Parsons, Garcia, Casspi, Beverley and Lin are all within 35%-37%. So they are desperate and might give Daniels a try.

5. Classic

Classic Member

He was pissed about the sloppy entry passes.

6. Classic

Classic Member

Do you trust Casspi after all the minutes he's played?

I don't.

Trey Daniels by default.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Makes sense. Casspi hasn't done much on defense either,which could have been his saving grace.

8. Oracle

Oracle Member

Yes, I do. There is an order in the NBA how things are done. Never mind what game it is (excluding preseason). Dwight will not play supporting cast for Troy Daniels. It has to be the other way around. Certainly in the coming playoffs.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

You're reading way too much into regular season game #82 where the game means absolutely nothing to no one except our bench players who hardly got to play this season.

10. Oracle

Oracle Member

I disagree with this. Casspi stopped a 2 on 1 Pelican attack (Evans and Babbit if I remember right) by perfect timing in change of man. He is usually the only one to cover for fast breaks after 3PT shooting long rebounds.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Young gunner who is fearless and can shoot - yeah, he should be in the rotation.

DD

12. Oracle

Oracle Member

Again, I disagree. Dwight was pissed and showed it by also participating in the 3PT shooting.

13. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I'm pretty sure he just wanted to shoot a 3 before his night was over.

14. Oracle

Oracle Member

If he keeps shooting 50% from beyond the arc, he'll be the next Ray Allen. I hope he will. He'll be the luckiest guy in the NBA, if he gets to show that in the coming playoffs. There is no such thing in the playoffs that you can shoot the 3 PTs if you are hitting them (remember Danny Green against the Heat).

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Actually they mentioned that he asked coach to run him a play that allowed him to shoot a 3 during the game, and coach told him "Just get out there and shoot it if you want, no one is gonna follow you out there".

So pretty sure he didn't do it because of anger.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

50% 3FG??? No wonder you don't like him. You're setting yourself up for disappointment. If he gets anywhere close to 40%, he will be a valuable asset for us. And judging from his NBDL stats, there's no reason why he couldn't do that for us.

Just give it a rest, dude. Don't know why you're so worked up over the 12th spot guy.. :confused:

17. basketballholic

Parsons 37%
    Harden 36.6%
    Jones 30.7%
    Lin 35.8%
    Bev 36.1%
    Casspi 34.7%
    Garcia 35.8%
    DMo 25%
    Hamilton 36.2%
    Canaan 32.7%
    Covington 36.4%
    Daniels 48%

In his limited 75 minutes, Daniels has thrown up a 3-ball every 3 minutes. Nobody else on the team comes close to that frequency (except Covington). Everybody else on the team is at 4.5 minutes or higher for every 3-ball they throw up. This shows how quick his trigger is. He's not pump-faking to try to draw the defender out. He's firing. No hesitation at all. That type of play forces the defense to have to come out and tag him early and try to deny him the basketball...which in turn opens up real space for the pick and roll action.

That's the difference. If the defense is leaving the shooter open out there and then the shooter pump fakes to try to get the defender to come out on him (in contrast to the defense having to play tight when the shooter catches the ball and then the shooter pump faking because the defender is out on him) that's a serious problem in an uptempo offense. Because that means the shooter doesn't really present a threat for the defense and they prefer to give away the shot and sag in and help on anything in the paint.

Daniels is the only guy we have this year that will just fling it with a high degree of accuracy (DMo will gladly fling it up inaccurately) without hesitation (Jones) or pump-faking (Parsons and Jones)...thus forcing the defender to have to come out and pick him up tight. That is how you create space. Not by catching on the perimeter and the defense basically daring (and begging and hoping) you shoot the ball out there.

#117 basketballholic, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  18. Yellow

Yellow Member

Daniels could be for us what Wafer was supposed to be for us, minus the athleticism to dunk and all that other stuff, which is: come off the bench to shoot, be fearless and provide that spark.

19. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

His defense left a lot to be desired, even when he's trying hard. Covington/Cannon should be given more minutes. Daniels was shooting pretty bad in his first few shots before heating up, Covington/Cannon can do the same if given more shot attempts.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

How I still remember that first game Canaan shot lights out and we all wanted him to start with 1 game sample size. And now here comes Troy freaking Trey Daniels.