1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 will play back to backs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 27, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm really glad he played tonight...woulda sucked if harden scored 50 again and the team lost, I'm still bitter about the last time that happened. But he looked very gassed tonight and that play where he grabs his hammy from last season still lives on. We need him for the post season.

2. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Man it's a major troll alert for the photographer wearing a heights sweat shirt. Smh. Better not be a clutch fan!

3. biff17

biff17 Member

i have no idea what your point is then.

if you don't think MDA is the cause then why should he be fired if he gets hurt?

sirbaihu likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

so since cp3 didn't get hurt last night, what's the logic now since some of you were so adamantly interested in it

RudyTBag and sirbaihu like this.
  5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, since MDA played CP3 and got the victory, now people will praise his wisdom instead of condemning his error, right?
    Yeah, right.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ooo, ooo, can I call out contradictory logic, too!!

This is too easy :D

Lulz, we only had 6 guys to play not called Paul, 5 after Tucker got ejected. We could have brought up Chiozza, I suppose.

But since Morey still got the victory without resting Paul, 3 guys injured, PJ getting ejected, now people will say Morey doesn’t need House...since we can always not rest Paul and play Harden 44 minutes to beat sh”tty teams, after our horrible defense goes down 21 pts in the 3rd.

How’d I do? :cool:

snowconeman22, J Sizzle and yixiixiy like this.
  7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Great! You managed to fit Jeremy Lin House into your post.
    This is one of those Jeremy Lin things where I liked the player until his fans became so obsessed on this board that I grew allergic.

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Well , I admit MDA didn't have much choice last night with shumpert and Gordon out .

Just because he didn't get injured doesn't mean that playing him on a b2b didn't increase the probability that he would get hurt .

I would still like for us to play Paul only 1 game of the b2b ... I don't know how many more of those we have this year .

I just want us to be healthy man .... and I think that resting players is something that 29 other teams do to keep guys healthy .

It goes beyond simply keeping guys off the injury report . I mean I want guys as close to 100 percent when the playoffs roll around.

Take for example PJ tucker . I've been complaining for a while about PJ's minutes and how it's affecting him . Lo and behold , he gets a week off due to the ASB and his shot magically comes back around.

We saw what Gary Clark did last night and it's apparent to me that he could have been used to keep PJ's minutes down from the get go .... maybe PJ would have avoided the depth of his slump and we would have been better off for it .

I'm not critical of everything the FO/ coaching staff does ; but , MDA has a history of running short rotations , and running guys into the ground by the end of the season . Personally, I would like for the rockets to avoid that problem .

So , normally , I would think that a second night of a b2b would be a good time to rest your 33 year old pg who has dealt with injury problems this season . But , like I admitted , MDA didn't have too much of a choice last night

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

it doesn't matter if the other guys were available or not. its pretty obvious from the start why he wanted to play last night. he was going to play regardless

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Wade ?

I would file that under special circumstances.

If the game was not agaisnt the heat , but another team with a similar record/talent , what would be your thoughts on Paul playing b2b's ?

Do you think my position is reasonable ?

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

And role players go through stretches of being cold. that's just the reality of it. Even the best shooters in the league go through it. Did we forget klay starting off the season barely shooting 30% from 3. Eventually they figure it out and things get back to average. I wouldn't attest an all star break off all of a sudden being the sole reason hes shooting well again. Where was the rest talk when he was shooting over 40% from 3 in october and november.

At the end of the day, you try to do as well as you can as far as maintaining guys but I'll say as much emphasis as there is with this "rest" thing, it can be over spoken and pretty dramatic. I'm in the boat of keeping cp3 as fresh as possible but he has looked great as of late. He's playing much more freely, moving as well as he has in awhile. Still deferring at times when he shouldn't but that will get worked out with more time playing since hes missed a good chunk.

At this point and based on what happened at the end of the wcf, I would think cp3 understands the importance of him being able to last through a deep run now more than ever. He obviously has a chip on his shoulder vs GS. He wants to beat them very badly. The rockets have 3 back to backs left. I doubt he really plays in all 3 of those tbh

#91 YOLO, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I agree with the rest of your post .

My argument for rest and shooting has to do with the importance of getting your legs into your shot .

Rest wasn't critical to PJ's shooting in those months because it was the start of the season and he was fresh . At least , that's my argument . I don't have data that proves it and frankly it would be very hard to prove it because there isn't a measurement to determine how tired a player is feeling .

I agree there is a delicate balance between learning to push through natural slumps and normal tiredness in order to improve your conditioning and become a better athlete . On the other hand , push too far and you can be taking a step back by hurting yourself .

Even if pj shot great the whole season , I would like to limit his minutes . I want PJ to be in top condition for the playoffs . We need him to be a nightmare inducing defender for us .... and he can't do that if he's a half-step slow because he's been pushing his body too far over the course of the season .

Im not on the rockets training staff
    I'm not an NBA coach

I just try to understand what I see when I watch the games .

And to me , our inconsistent team effort (especially on defense and in rebounding ) has a lot to do with guys trying to pace themselves .

I would rather get 95% effort for 20 minutes than 70% effort for 30 minutes and so on .

I think in the playoffs , if we don't play with our "hair on fire " , we are gonna be in trouble .

Playing guys so many minutes doesn't allow them to work on giving maximum effort for shorter stints . That's just in-game , there is the game to game consideration too .

Just from an outside perspective I don't feel that we have done enough to maximize our readiness for the playoffs . I know you've got to get there first , but with harden in the fold that should almost not be a question .

IMO , MDA needs to be more willing to amply use our depth and rest our key pieces when they need a break . Instead I feel he always asks the guys already carrying the heaviest load to step up even more

13. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You were saying if Paul got hurt, MDA should be fired!
    You are the most spineless whispering weasel.
    Remember this?

14. biff17

biff17 Member

Poorly.

not your best effort since nobody is advocating playing Harden or Paul excessive minutes at the expense of House.

Straw man dude.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Thx for pointing that out, because I was making fun of other straw man arguments, like "Yes, since MDA played CP3 and got the victory, now people will praise his wisdom instead of condemning his error, right?"

It's contradictory to criticize MDA for not resting Paul, yet seemingly defend and praise Morey for playing hard-ball with House. At least my point is near to factual -- with House, either Paul gets to rest v MIA, or Harden doesn't have to play 44 minutes because our sh]tty defense last night put us in a 21pt hole in the 3rd Q. And that shitty defense was mostly due to Paul/Harden being targets of MIA exploiting our b2b legs, playing Green big minutes, and Clark's inability to defend anything other than the 4.

16. biff17

biff17 Member

So you actually think Harden would not have played 44 minutes of we had House?

Since when does House play guard?

So now House is lock down defender who is the key to all of the rockets defensive woes.

Your House obsession is getting out of hand.

17. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

This is the dumbest logic I have ever heard from someone who coherently typed something out. “Hey man, i heard some guy drove home without his seatbelt. He’s ok, so where’s the logic in that.. he should do it more”

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Wth are you even talking about. You got offended for whatever reason. I wonder why lol

Again you’re the last person to be calling anything dumb around here. Do we really need to be reminded about your harden should demand a trade thread. Now that’s some dumb stuff to keep it light

19. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I don’t think you can read or maybe you’re just a liar. Read maybe—-you know..the title of the thread back there? It was a pretty clearly conveyed point, but coming from the guy thats going "well CP3 didn't get hurt this time so its clearly ok!" its not surprising.

To go back to your logic, why stop at back to backs... they should play cp3 40 minutes, because maybe there’s no harm for a couple of games. There is absolutely no evidence of injury history when he has played increased minutes or pushed himself to the limit, the healthiest player ever.

#99 LosPollosHermanos, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It’s well documented that Chris Paul has a serious injury history, primarily with hamstring strains that can reaggravate if overworked. Not sure what point you’re trying to make here. He needs to be managed for the playoffs.