1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

cp3 vs granger

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LandryMegaBeast, Jul 23, 2010.

?

Who would help the rockets more?

1. Chris Paul

166 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Danny Granger

122 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Idiots feel like he's the most realistic target for the fabled "we give up expirings, marginal prospects, and mediocre draft picks, they give us their franchise player" trade.

2. PossiblyMaybe

PossiblyMaybe Member

Exactly. Besides, why would the Pacers want to push themselves farther into irrelevancy in the East?

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Paul is a superstar, granger is not. I think adding paul would rip apart too much of the roster. A guy like granger could be had for a bundle of picks, euro prospects, and young players.

4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

They are nowhere close to competing with granger as their franchise guy, its time to move on

5. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Yeah, better to build around Chase Budinger, Jordan Hill, and a low 1st round draft pick than hold onto your 24ppg scorer who's just entering his prime.

6. T.Mcgrady

T.Mcgrady Member

Granger is a top 20 All-Star just entering his prime and is the face of the franchise. He's literally the sole reason people follow the Pacers these days in Indiana; a next generation Reggie Miller in the eyes of the fans. There is no way they're going to give him up for our trash. Bird has already stated that it would take a lot for him to even consider giving up Granger.

Things are looking up for the first time since the O'neal era in Indy. They have 5 expiring contracts going into next season ~40 mil in cap space:
    Troy Murphy - $11,968,253
    Mike Dunleavy Jr. - $10,561,384
    TJ Ford - $8,500,000
    Jeff Foster - $6,655,000
    Jamaal Tinsley - $5,459,184 (Finally comes off of the books)
    Solomon Jones - $1,500,000

Combine that with the fact that there are some big names that could be had next offseason.... I sincerely doubt that we could put a package together to pick him up.

As far as Paul goes, there are other teams with more talent that can put out better packages for Paul. Combine that with the fact that Paul didn't list Houston as one of his preferred destinations.... It's not going to happen.

7. LandryMegaBeast

lol
    didn't u retire?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=185272 <======= troll

8. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I don't see how you can really answer this question without knowing what you'd have to give up in a trade for either of them. I think Paul is probably the better overall player, but Granger would be a great fit with our core players. So I'll go with Granger.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Low 1st round picks? since when are the Knicks a playoff team?
    Wasn't Kevin Martin the face of the Kings franchise until last season? Wasn't he a 25 ppg guy who was the sole reason Kings fans paid attention to their team? Granger, much like Martin, is not someone a team can be built around. He is a complementary player, a 2nd/3rd fiddle option. People don't pay attention to Indiana regardless of whether or not Granger is there. They suck ass with him, there is no end to their crappiness in sight, it is tie to move on and collect what they can. Two lottery picks in Patterson and Hill along with a bright prospect like Bud, an elite Euro prospect in Lull, and the Knicks lottery picks for the next two seasons is quite a grab bag.

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its kind of funny how posters are talking about paul fitting with yao. Better yet, paul is in another galaxy from granger, yet there is a poll,lol. Point is, the rox cant get paul regardless of the so called assets. Granger is a good player who cant even get a team to .500 in the east. I guess shooting 7 3pters a game from the wing is acceptable.

11. TheGoldenGreek

If we get either we are in great shape, but if I had to choose I'd go with Paul just because of his superstar status and ability to make everyone around him better. I think he'd do wonders for the development of guys like Jordan Hill and Patrick Patterson.

12. BreakYoSelfFool

If Chris Paul can throw 12 assists per game with Tyson Chandler and David West as his best options, imagine what he can do with Yao and Scola. Add to that the fact that Kevin Martin is better than Peja was and Ariza and C-bud probably are too I think Paul would be unstoppable with our guys to support him. Chris Paul is a game changer who demands a double team and still causes havoc on offense and defense. True point guards do not have trouble fitting into any system, and you cannot throw 12 assists per game without being a true point guard. As a matter of fact, I dont think many true pt guards can even do that. Chris Paul is a Hall of fame level talen

Even if you threw the playbook out the window, Paul could keep us scoring with lobs to Hill, Ariza, Yao, and Scola. A pick and roll with Paul and Yao would be like taking candy from a T-Mac.

As far as comparing Granger to Paul, I think that its obvious that paul is one of the top 5 or 6 players in the league. He has been named All NBA 1st team (top 5 ) and All Defensive 1st team (top 5). Granger however, is not even a top 5 Small forward and may not even be top 10. He has never been the best player on a playoff team, as a matter of fact he has never been on a team that finished with a winning record. Also, he has never started 82 games, missing 40 games in the last 2 seasons.

I think a lot of people incorrectly think that Aaron Brooks stats are close to Chris Paul's. Actually 6 pts, 6 assists, and 2 steals per game for a pt guard are huge. A player could have a long career with just those numbers (Derek Fisher couldnt even put that up), but that is about how much more Chris Paul gives you than AB.

When you add the fact that the same people were begging Bosh to come to Houston to give us a maybe 3pt, 1 reb, 1 block per game improvement over Scola is crazy.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

defensively, imo, brooks is really sub-par. he barely even tries to stop opposing pg's from driving past him.

14. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I feel that Granger is very overrated. I see him on a similar level as Igoudala and Kevin Martin. Paul, however, is a game changer. Both seem to be equally injury prone. Therefore, Paul is the clear choice to make the Rockets better.

15. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

a starting lineup with granger:
    Brooks
    Martin
    Granger
    Scola
    Yao

a starting lineup with paul
    Paul
    Martin
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

give me Granger all day

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

All depends on the trade. If it meant giving up AB for both trade, obviously CP3 is the answer.

However I do believe Granger could be had for draft picks, expirings and young talents. Multiple times the pass few seasons a team goes for broke when they draft a new lottery pick that plays very well. Thats how rox got Kevin Martin, Bobcats got Jackson and Lakers got Pau. And there are also teams like NJ, NY and Was breaking up the team for a chance on FAs when they realised they are just not good enough.

17. RocketEG6

RocketEG6 Member

Gerald Wallace :cool:

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm looking at the lineups, and I say give me CP3 all day.

19. AXG

AXG Member

CP3 and it's not close.

20. LandryMegaBeast

roflcopter