1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3, his tantrums, and why I dislike him

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RESINator, Apr 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Well sorry to break it to you but you'd be wrong. CP3 is without a doubt a top 10 player but he's a doucher and i don't like him either. He's more important to winning than a guy like Westbrook.

2. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

The player you respect the most is the biggest douche in the NBA:p

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

The only guys (and I mean the ONLY guys) I like on the Clippers are Jordan and Reddick. Griffin frustrates me but he is incredibly exciting to watch. Unfortunately, Griffin has been scouted enough now that he isn't just obliterating teams with athleticism anymore except with the exception of Baynes recently. He is a near complete player though. Nice facilitator, gets boards, offensively works wonders with Paul. Just needs to increase his FT percentage and maybe lateral speed on the defensive end

4. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Including punching guys in the nutz? Collateral damage?

5. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Every single player in the league is passionate about basketball. The problem I have with Paul is that he tries to use his pouting and whining as a vessel to gain more calls for his flopping.

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Doesnt matter if the guy wants to leave it out on the floor every night and play with passion. If he doesn't have the physical tools then he is still a limited player. The dude is a master manipulator on the court and shoots well...gets some steals too but hardly a complete player

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

James Harden

8. conquistador#11

yawl just noticing this? I noticed it in the opening game of the brokeback season against the nookie hornets, when they cheap shot big yao. it was his rookie season and i was like wow, the douchieness is strong with this one.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul is like Karl Malone. He could be one of the greatest players ever by talent and skill alone. But he chooses to be dirty just to "get an edge."

There are plenty of honest people who win without being dirty.

Okay, I agree that Jordan is okay. I wouldn't mine having him on my team. :) Griffin has improved. He doesn't seem to flop as much as he used to. But he still keeps using his off arm to clear out the defender and uses the defender's body as leverage to elevate for dunk, and look like a hero after he succeeds or look like a victim after he fails.

10. mad max 94

mad max 94 Member

LOL. That's all I notice now.

11. Ranny

Ranny Member

Harden definitely has the greatest beard in NBA history for sure!!

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

First thing I noticed too. Skipping together. How cute.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Interesting. Please tell me more about what I think.

14. frontline94

frontline94 Member

i find the kia commercials hilarious

15. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I've disliked Paul since his Hornets days. Great player that doesn't need to do all that whining and off the ball flopping that he does. It's dishonest, and tarnishes (IMO) the legacy of what should be a guy mentioned with Magic Johnson and John Stockton as an all time great point guard.

I used to love watching him and David West start to unravel when things wouldnt go their way when playing the Rockets....

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Easily my least favorite player since Malone/Stockton. I'd sooner wear a Kobe jersey with a Mavericks hat than see him win a championship.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My problem with CP3 isn't his tantrums, which one could define as passion. It's the way he plays to the refs. I've never seen a player go so much out of his way to prove points to officials. It makes me sick to my stomach. It irked Doc enough last year that he commented on it.

When CP3 just goes out and plays instead of flopping, pretending to be tripped or whining about non-calls, he is focused and awesome. The season where he should have been MVP is an example of that. But his nonstop effort to get in the heads of referees is incredibly annoying. He acts too entitled. He may as well say to the refs, "You MUST call this, or else".

18. VBG

VBG Member

Completely agree.

Love the competitive fire. Hate the way he carries it out.

I think a lot of people are the same way with Manu Ginobili. Dude sacrifices his body on every play trying to do anything to win.... including constant flopping. At least Manu doesn't b**** and complain.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I have a hard time liking Chris Paul - a really hard time.

First off the guy is a once-in-a-generation/franchise changing type talent. That cannot be argued at all.

The flopping and constant whining to the refs diminish a lot for me, especially when you're that talented. The little dirty plays he does and gets away with - also annoying when you factor that on the other end he goes flying with 1/100th the amount of contact.

All that from above - especially trying to fool the refs and then the complaining to the refs is what would deter me from wanting Paul as my point guard. To me, that just screams mental weakness. Rather than accept the challenge play through incidental or minimal contact on defense he tries to get himself bailed out. People say Harden relies on the refs, Paul does just as much if not more. Harden relies on the refs to make the call as he goes and initiates contact on his drives and so forth. Harden will certainly embellish some of that contact but you rarely see him do the same on defense especially when compared to Paul. In fact I questioned Harden up until this season if he was going to be "the guy" for that very same reason of mental toughness. The way he play defense the way he took himself out of the Portland series. This season and the 2 playoff games so far has shown a lot in terms of how he has matured in his approach and mental toughness.

Paul has yet to develop that. His teams have never made it past the second round I think mainly because of that. He is the leader of the teams he is on..they follow his lead. If he is mentally weak the entire team is going to be. I mean I wonder how it would have worked out with him and Kobe at times Kobe would probably eat him alive for acting the way he does. He is in his 10th year in the league (maybe 11th?) and at this point I doubt if he ever will develop it now. Whats worse he is probably now with a coach in Doc who will do just as much if not more whining to the refs.

Secondly - one of the things I sometimes have issues with his teams are -- he is so damn good that the entire offense is handed to him. Everything revolves around him and so when he goes to the bench the offense generally falls to crap unless you have an good backup PG to be able to mimic what Paul does to a lesser extent to "hold the fort down" Darren Collsion was able to do that with the Hornets and with the Clippers (oddly enough which is partially why the Clippers bench was considered a strength up until this season when Collison left). While most teams want the majority of their offense to center around their best player they do not want all of it to be. Griffin is an elite offensive player - a poor man's Chris Webber - in that he can post up, shoot the jumper now and is a very good passer. The offense should run through Blake when Paul isn't in the game, but the team isn't set up or accustomed to doing something that way. Of course you can and most likely should blame that on the coaching staff - but I dont know if that would upset Paul if he doesnt have complete control. Honestly from how he conducts himself on the court - I wouldn't be surprised if he would act the same way either.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That's a pretty sizeable chunk of any team. It's best player, a significant role player, and the head coach are all d-bags. Also, Griffin has only recently started coming around. Before, he was well-known for throwing his body into crazy positions after touch fouls, and not caring if he caught somebody in the jaw or the groin in the process.