1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3: Declining versus Down Year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, May 29, 2019.

?

Did CP3 have a down year or is he significantly declining?

1. Down Year: Injury slowed him down and age made it tougher to come back sooner.

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Significant Decline: Injury impacted him, but age and wear are starting to erode his elite skills

42 vote(s)
    34.4%
  3. System/Team Impact: CP3 is being forced to play off guard 60-70% of the time when he's a Point God.

13 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. All of the above.

41 vote(s)
    33.6%
  1. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

[QUOTE="Reeko, post: 12442497, member: 61828]also, down year would be a huge understatement...this was easily the worst season of his career since his rookie year[/QUOTE]
    Except it wasn’t. His defense was way worse until the 2010’s.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we need tweaks . . . not massive changes

Rocket River

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely decline more than anything else. Clearly a step slower, not able to beat his man like last year.

It's not like the "system" has relegated him to a lesser role. We have the same system as last year. Harden is more than willing to let CP3 work and do his thing, he just couldn't consistently provide that option this year like he did last year.

Blurr#7 and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Agree with most of this. Consider the possibility that Chris Paul came here in part because he knew he could no longer do what he used to do.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

There is no doubt CP can't ISO and get by guys. Thing is, he just needs to realize that and adjust his game. He probably realizes it. So this season was that *awkward realization moment* where he recognizes he needs to shift the way he plays.

CP needs to focus more on shooting and less on driving. He has good mechanics, he just needs to pivot the way he plays.

I think once CP FULLY shifts his playing style *to the new normal* he will be solid for the Rockets.

Matt78777 likes this.
  6. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

He cant even cross anyone anymore. This guy is slow as hell now. What kind of PG gets call for charges multiple times trying to cross PF, center, and bigger guys than he is. He's really losing it. The sooner we trade him, the better for this team.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely on the decline. Rarely beat his man off the dribble, and couldn't shoot nearly as well. Most of his 3's were that sidestep thing he likes to do that rarely goes in.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol by this logic harden has lost it too. how many charges was he also called for this postseason

9. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Harden is 6'5" 250lbs and using his strenght to get to the basket. Chris paul is shorter than 6'....and a true pg. If you cant cross a dam PF, it's time for you to sit down. Also, Harden was getting alot less charges call on him than paul. And most of the charges Harden got was in the paint. Paul cant even cross a person outside the 3 point line.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

so size determines getting charges now ok

11. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

you obviously never touch a basketball in your life so its hard to explain. Smaller people can move alot quicker than a big person when playing basketball so ok...

Blurr#7 likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao cf's never disappoints

BigggReddd likes this.
  13. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think he did realize it and that is probably why he pushed for more classic D'Antoni pace and pass sets as opposed to ISO situations, and the source of conflict between CP3 and Harden. I fully hope next year Rockets embrace the idea of being a little less predictable and sprinkle in both kinds of offenses.

Deuce likes this.
  14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He doesn’t suck he’s just not as good as he once was. The question is how fast another decline gets here.

15. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm not all about that athletic decline reasoning...I think he's 34? Dude's already been dealing with that before he got here. What I saw was a ton of shots not falling where his first season with us...the guy never missed a big time shot. So...idk if it's just hitting the gym and shooting 1,000 shots a day or whatever but that's the biggest thing I noticed. He's still got handles to spare. He still sees the floor like few can. He's still a pest on defense which is all you can ask of a 6 footer in the NBA.

He started the year with a suspension, watching his friend get run off the court, coaching staff unsettled and then he got hurt with all the expectations in the world on his shoulders "we would've won if you were healthy". Career 37ish % 3 point shooter and he was at 27% for the playoffs when it was pretty clear that he was feeling healthy. Guy just beat up the rim. I call that a down year and a disappointing playoffs.

Fyreball likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This might just be the most reasonable take on CP3 I've ever seen from anyone on this board (or anywhere for that matter). I'm all for finding a trade partner willing to take him for us, but he's not this negative asset that's unplayable. He's still got all the makings of an all-time great PG, and his BBIQ is still irreplaceable. If we start next season with CP3 still on our roster, I won't be upset in the slightest.

Relativist and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

I fully expect him to go through injuries in a season. I don't expect him to dominate a season or multiple games, or a playoff series when healthy.

At this point, all I care about is can be a closer when we need him (assuming he's on the court because he is healthy)? If the answer is No, do we then need him? If the answer is IDK, do we then risk keeping him around?

He is still a solid player who is clearly past his prime, but ask your self, how far will a superstar with a "solid player-past his prime" and a bunch of role players get us in the Western Conference?

18. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Lol well thanks. I’m really not interested in trading him. Call me crazy but I think this is more head-game motivation than serious trade talks from DM the GM. Oh y’all mad? We’ll blow it up then. They go home and think man...we’re not THAT mad. Same for the coaches, Bzdelik washed himself out...D’Antoni you want to stay? Pick a new staff then because SOMETHING is going to change.

Morey gonna Morey but let the man work. This team is agonizingly close. Blowing it up is what a bunch of hurt feeling NBA2k players and national journalists who ***only ever want to see this team fail*** want to see. Re-tool something and go for it again because this window is wide open.

19. basketballholic

Here is Chris Paul

In February of this season

Without Harden!

This thread is silly.

BigggReddd likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He struggles to go by 7ft big men. It's pretty bad.