1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covington on trade block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Though wiggin’s contract is atrocious, given the limited assets the rockets have, one of the last mechanisms we have is to take on bad contracts for mediocre talent. Ego needs to be traded before the deadline as he’s not extending and I doubt DM is interested in paying market rate for him.

Is Wiggins worth the $$, no....but if you can get Covington without forking over picks it’d be worth considering. Certainly better than giving up a 1st for Iggy.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I really wish people would quit advocating for Wiggins.

If we traded for Wiggins, Wolves fans would have sports p*rn for years. $25,000,000 a season for a bonehead player.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

The gamble of getting Wiggins to make the rockets worse definitely isn’t it. He shouldn’t even be a thought tbh

basketballholic likes this.
  4. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Just Curious why it matters what trades people suggest, discuss or advocate for to you? It’s not like anyone here has any say in what actually happens. What’s the problem in suggesting if it’s....you know a forum?

joshuaao likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's a lot different for us vs them.

For them they would want to rebuild around KAT and free up cap space to team him up with someone that is worth the max.

For the Rockets they would get two wings back, one of them is again 24 and he'll be under professionals like PJ and CP3, it would be an entirely different situation for him.

6. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

this is the approach I'd like to see the team take regarding Eric..... I love his game and always felt he was the perfect fit next to harden even before we got him, but if he doesnt want to extend then a plan should be set in motion if not for an upgrade then a lateral move for more yrs and compensation....

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Yeah, why is former Rocket Gersson Rosas trying to trade former Rocket Rob Covington?

luckyman76, sammy and D-rock like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Perhaps. But an expensive gamble. And D’Antoni hasn’t exactly revealed himself to be a teacher of young, dumb players. Make a mistake, however small? Sit. Run 7 veterans into the ground instead.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much, we don't have many options here.

Even if say Paul George asks out of OKC tomorrow, do we have the assets to acquire him? No. Would he want to play here? Likely not.

If Anthony Davis decides like Dwight that one year in LaLa land is enough...is he coming here? Does anyone believe that?

I believe for better or worse Harden's days of attracting other stars is over with. Not that players don't respect him, they do, it's just that there's a lot of other more attractive opportunities out there.

I really think Iggy is pretty much done. He was showing his age for most of the year and put all he had into their playoff run, not sure how many more years he can do that. Knowing the Rockets, last year was the last one for him and we'll get the past the prime Iggy and spend draft picks getting him and thus get deeper in the asset hole.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I get this, I do, but Minny is a team that has had several coaches and 0 veteran leadership (other than young player destroyer Butler...). I won't be surprised at all if Wiggins plays more consistently at his next stop because it's not like he's never ever had good stretches or never ever flashed his potential.

And it's not like we need him to average 25ppg and be an all world player. We just need decent long athletic wings.

I honestly just don't see many options for the Rockets but taking on bad contracts like Wiggins or Love and hoping it works out.

Otherwise we make these bit moves for like Iggy and Javale and it doesn't even change much. Not while the other Western teams are acquiring all-stars.

Rox>Mavs likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think Gordon and Covington are comparable.

Both teams would probably want an asset from the other team for a straight up trade.

Both players on an even swap make for a better "fit" on the respective teams.

I think straight up makes a lot of sense.

Houston gets a quality wing and defender under contract for this 3-4 yr "window" and move on from potentially losing Gordon for nothing via free agency.

Minny gets a scoring punch sorely needed at the guard spot with the added bonus of future flexibility. Something I assume Rosas will keep important to him on an up and coming team.

Covington gives us Gordon's defense and some at a more needed position and rivers can pick up some of the playmaking and scoring lost.

Honestly, I dont see anything happening on this front. Also, I cant make up my mind whether I'd do it or not either. The more I think about it I favor each side evenly. I'd just put faith in the FOs decision.

I think for this year we need to add players rather than swap.

I'd pay a 1st and a couple 2nds for them to take shump in a SnT if all parties agreed tho.

BaselineFade, Gray_Jay and justtxyank like this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

If that goes down then it really shows how awful the Twolves FO is I guess prior to this coming year since they got One our guys now.

They could have traded jimmy to us for Gordon and 4 first round picks.

They already traded Saric now Covington for the guy they could have had all along in Gordon and a lot of future picks.

Personally as much as i like Gordon I would do it. Covington fits well position of major need and with rivers back I think Gordon is expendable. Covington is cheaper and has more years on his deal. Gordon is on the last year of his contract is 30 and has history of injury I’m not okay with bringing him back for more than 10m a season and I think some dumb team will offer more. We need to get some assets now for him while we can.

If u can add Covington without giving up any core that’s great but I don’t see that happening.

Maybe sign and trade with shumpart but that’s going to kill our flexibility going forward but would make us super deep.

One thing to point out is rivers was fantastic as the 2nd and even 3rd guard last year before cp3 and Gordon both came back healthy. He was getting 15+ a night with playmaking and D.

Not sure if he can keep that up all year but I’d imagine if his min went up and his role changed he could prob do it.

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Yes I give everything u would of gave to get butler....that's how much i like him

14. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’d trade PJ him

I want to see this team with more youth and athleticism. I’m almost to the point wear I’d love to have a coach develop and integrate players we draft

Pop do that

15. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol again people answer thier own question then say something that has nothing to do with the issue.

I repeat people it's not harden's style that doesnt get u guys.

It's the fact we have no assets lol. We cashed in for cp3. That's it. U cant get them.cause u have nothing to get them with

D-rock likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

The problem i see in this scenario is that the Wolves are still obviously a very young team building around KAT (and probably D.Lo soon), why would they want to swap Covington with Gordon who's a 30 years old expiring player who'll likely look for a big paycheck in a year, when they have already a young and very interesting SG like Okojie? Tbh, i think there's no chance here, i actually think we would be in a better position by offering Shumpert and two 1st rounders...but then again, if the Wolves already agreed to send Covington to Golden State, there's not much to talk about.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Sadly, you're probably on point, that's probably why the Rockets tried so hard with Butler, they likely knew he was the last opportunity to get a great player.

#97 Vivi, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    JayGoogle likes this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I was furious when they cut Covington. It was clear the kid had a future in this league

D-rock likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

I was pissed too, tbh not because i knew he would've turn into the player he is today, but because we cut a young player with some decent potential just to sign Tari Black and have some more depth... ah, the depth...and last season we dumped Melton who looked much better than Covignton ever was in summer league to dump Ryan Anderson, sigh.

D-rock likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I agree, it's not his style, I never said it was his style...but I think it's just that there are better opportunities out there for players. Nothing wrong with Harden, nothing wrong with his game, I've never seen players that are playing disrespect him...that always comes from old-school players that are cranky anyways...

But it's more than an asset thing (that's a big part of it) because we had the assets for Butler...he simply didn't want to play here. Why? Sounds like playing in Miami was just more attractive to him and he wanted his own team.

Players like Durant and Lebron...never even considered coming here even though Morey would have moved the moon to have it happen and that their additions would have made us a superteam...even factoring in that Durant and Harden are supposedly the best of friends and same for CP3 and Lebron.

Durant went off to form the superteam with GSW and Lebron wanted to build up his hollywood brand...but we couldn't even get meetings with these guys although at the time Morey could have made both of them happen at the time of their Free Agency...

The next big batch of superstars...I really can't see it happening. I think AD will love it in LA because he's not as sensitive as Dwight was...I think Giannis if he does make a move from the Bucks will probably team up with someone elsewhere and Harden will be like 31 then so...yeah, as far as the Harden era goes, it is desperation time.

Maybe I'm just pessimistic, but we've been turned down time and time again when it comes to players I've just come to accept that Harden has spent his recruiting capital on Dwight and CP3.