1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covington on trade block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SRR21, Jul 4, 2019.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Durant only missed one game of that series. I’m not saying we shouldn’t have won that game but we didn’t exactly get the same team that ended up playing the Raptors.

Reeko, justtxyank, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]

BigMaloe and TheRealAllpro like this.
  3. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m very curious to see what we doing with Gordon. I think you are right that we trade him but if we take him into the season (Highly probable) and we are winning at a 60 game pace. Would we really trade him?

justtxyank likes this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

We have a focus on FA right now. And the Iggy interest.

But yeah, next up is the path forward for Eric Gordon. Will be a UFA after this season. Do they extend? Will he take an extension? Do they trade? You just can't allow him as an asset to walk out the door for nothing. This isn't the Wizards.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Tucker and Paul will be 35, too old too slow too small.

50 wins team, not 60.

6. SRR21

SRR21 Member

7. biff17

biff17 Member

What?

8. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Just because he starts doesn’t mean he’s starting caliber.

9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Gordon + SnT Shumpert ($13 MM) + all our NGs ($7 MM) allows us to take back up to $42 MM in salary.

Enough for Wiggins + Covington

10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's a interesting trade there.

Mr Chuck Norris and xaos like this.
  11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's starting caliber because he'd start for plenty of teams. He's been starting for a team that outside of the previous season (which was a mess thanks to Butler and Thibs) has been in contention for the playoffs. I'm not saying he's amazing, but he's a 24 year old athletic wing that can be worked on.

The problem with Wiggins is his contract but I think a team like the Rockets should consider taking risks because running it back is not going to get us to the Finals.

I'm not sure what that risk will be and I'll judge it if we ever do make it but running it back is going to get us to the 3rd round at best and we are begging for Harden to overwork himself if he has to have another season like his previous one just to get us homecourt in the playoffs.

Gray_Jay, snowconeman22 and BigM like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why is he on the block?

We won’t get him, so I won’t even begin to get my hopes up.

BigM likes this.
  13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Whoever mentioned Wiggins gave me a seizure.

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yo chill, Tucker and Paul are 34. Also, apparently are born 1 day apart.

15. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Personally, I’d trade Gordon for Covington if he’s healthy.

This team is desperately missing a quality wing.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

any Wiggins talk needs to cease effective immediately

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Lmao no one is interested in trading for Wiggins and his contract. Any team taking that on should receive several draft picks, and I doubt Rosas would do that.

justtxyank and joshuaao like this.
  18. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Hahaha not advocating for that deal, just saying that it works under the CBA. All the guys we're sending to Minny would be expiring and off their books next year. I bet Rosas would be willing to send additional compensation to get a fresh start to build around KAT.

19. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I loved him when he was here and i love him now...

He would be a dream fit in this system.

BaselineFade, justtxyank and D-rock like this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The truth is the Rockets have to make a gamble move, a big gamble move.

What they are right now isn't enough. They aren't going to attract big FAs anymore, Harden will be 31 when he gets his next contract and I'm going to assume he'll stick with the Rockets because of the super duper max deal that will be available to him and the Rockets will happily give it and he'll happily take it.

Then what? I really have no faith that the Rockets are going to attract any future big name FA here, they also have no way of getting assets to trade for said player if that player decides they want out of their team since as long as they have Harden in his prime they won't be drafting high.

The ideas out there right now...Iggy and McGee...they are not changing anything for us. Knowing our luck we'll get Iggy and he'll finally play like his age and knowing MDA he won't even dare to play McGee outside of random nights where Clint is hurt (or needs rest) because he prefers to play small anyways. These moves won't help especially with CP3 trending downward.

It is a star driven league and while Wiggins has his flaws he's still 24 years old. We can't hold out for the perfect superstar because that's not happening. Butler was the closest thing we had at that and Butler turned us down. Right now the Rockets are just treading water. It's not like there haven't been players that needed a change of scenery to play better, and the Warriors just took a gamble on one of them.

Everyone is waiting for the perfect fit, the perfect situation, like the Harden trade and it's just not going to happen again. I'd love for Morey to prove me wrong but the team needs a shakeup. I think Morey knows this too, that's why we were willing to bet our entire future for Butler at the deadline. The Rockets, as they are now, aren't good enough to win a championship.

Gray_Jay and joshuaao like this.