1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Covington a Lock to make final roster?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Oct 22, 2013.

1. jdjd

jdjd Member

I think we should keep Brooks on the roster. You're always one sprained ankle, foul out, or ejection from having one good point guard on the team. For a team with championship in mind it would be a perfect luxury.

1 person likes this.
  2. hahachui

hahachui Member

Camby will stay
    If we don't keep Camby, Asik cant be traded

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He will stay,but I don't think there is much left in him unfortunately.
    Asik can be traded even without him. Les and DM should keep Asik,and I think they will.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good for now
    I haven't seen anything valuable from him in preseason.
    Covington might be in but should not be a lock in future

5. saleem

I feel Brewer is a lock for the team. His defense and smarts are invaluable. He still is fairly athletic.
    I hope Brooks will be retained. He is better than Canaan, who needs to go to the D-League.
    Canaan will be retained.
    I think Daniels, Covington and Williams are on the way out.

1 person likes this.
  6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I would not want to bank anything on Camby. He is older than dust and could break any minute, we need Asik.

7. Progs

Progs Member

I think Ronnie Brewer was brought in to help slow down an ELITE wing player. As good as Chandler is on defense Brewer is quicker and really athletic on D. When Rockets play James or Wade if Rockets get that far in the playoffs Brewer can be insurance just like Camby and Brooks because of injuries through out the season. I rather waive Daniels,Covington, and Williams even thought Williams is not a bad defender with some offense.

8. saleem

I agree with you. Asik is a absolute must for us.
    I liked Camby two years ago, I think he can't play anymore.
    I just don't think DM or Les will cut Camby though.

9. Play07

Play07 Member

camby Daniels Williams should be cut if no trades happen.

I would rather put my trust in a younger smith to play 3rd center. Keep on mind camby is out 2-3 months if he needs surgery, & after that it's still not sure if he will be able to return and no way you can get in basketball shape during that 2-3 months wit a injury. At least we know smith can be healthy, can catch and finish around the rim, and can play decent defense just needs to work on fouls

10. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I like the idea of trading Jones, Dmo, or Smith for a pick. We have too much tied up in "possible future PF." Also, if they're pretty sure about keeping Asik, I can see Camby going.

11. leangle25

leangle25 Member

Camby and Williams

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

13. basketballholic

The only way Brooks makes the final 15 is if there is a multi-player trade or an injury of one of the other three point guards on this roster. If no trade is made and no injury of the other point guards then Brooks will be waived and most likely picked up by another team who needs a point guard. Utah and Dallas and other teams are possibilities to pluck him off the waiver wire thus removing him from our cap completely.

#33 basketballholic, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Morey: (More over-valued: the veteran who can step in with a team like yours or that young guy with so much upside?) I think that's a fabulous point. I think they're both terribly over-valued. Rebuilding, you need high upside guys. It almost doesn't matter when you're terrible because you should be throwing stuff at the wall. I think the most overrated guy is a certain type of veteran who can't play anymore. Let's bring him in and he'll talk...they don't respect him. If they're not threatening your minutes, you don't get respect in the locker room. Camby adds that for us but he can still play. I'll take a guy who can still play. Without that, it's overrated.

Goodbye Camby.

15. Normalus

Normalus Member

My boy Covington will make it. That means either DMo or TJones will be traded along with Smith (and/or Asik). Casspi as stretch 4 and Covington ends up back-up for Parsons.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A trade would be nice.

Isn't Camby already injured? Plantar fasciatis. I just don't really understand keeping him? Even if he gets to the point where he thinks he can play (and keep in mind his strategy was to rehab his torn plantar fascia as opposed to surgery because well, he's old, and surgery would likely mean the end of his career... but still, that will be hte state of his plantar even if he gets back to being able to play spot minutes), it should be for very limited minutes, and he is likely to get injured again.

If I'm the Rockets, I offer him a position on the staff, allow him to continue to be a veteran presence, rehab the injury, and if someone goes down or gets traded, then offer him a new contract to suit up.

I don't think Reggie Williams gets cut. He's somewhat duplicative, in that Garcia does basically what he does... but both of them do a thing of need in spot minutes. Reggie is younger.

I'm not a big fan of Brewer on this roster. A good version of Brewer? Sure... but this current version is toast, imo.

My cuts are Daniels, Brewer and Camby.

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I feel bad for Williams. I think if he entered preseason healthy, he could've impressed as the only other "true SG" on our team. But he looks to be a sure cut.

Locks (10): Harden, Dwight, Parsons, Asik, Lin, Beverley, Garcia, Casspi, Jones, Motie

Probably made it (5)
    a) Brooks - Morey likes to keep 3 PGs, and although he's an awkward fit on our roster, he's proven that he can step in if one of Lin/Bev get hurt.
    b) Brewer - We need perimeter D and some toughness, and he's a vet who can bring that, even if it's in small doses.
    c) Smith/Camby - Smith showed too much last year to be a victim of cuts. Camby is too valuable as a leader and potential player if Asik is dealt. Camby is not on the playing roster as long as he's hurt, allowing Smith to dress for games.
    d) Canaan - Morey clearly likes him and wants to develop him on the RGV.

I'd cut Covington (hasn't shown me much) and Williams (unfortunately).

18. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You really feel comfortable going with Canaan as your third PG?

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would agree if Camby's injuries were considered career ending. I'm not his personal doctor or anything, but plantar faciitis shouldn't be considered career ending. Its just got to heal and he has to find a way to get in shape without re-injuring his feet.

If Asik truly isn't going to be a threat to be traded than yes, I think you go ahead and waive Camby because of the depth at C with Asik, & the emergence of the young bigs(yes I think D-Mo & Jones will take a step forward).

However, I dont believe its NOT a possibility even though I dont think the front office is actively shopping him until January/February at the earliest. If Asik is legitimately going to be made available in trade this year, you MUST keep Camby, and hope that he's able to give you 10 to 15 minutes a night... which he should.

Keeping a guy like Juwan Howard on your roster is different because he can't do anything for your team. Camby absolutely can. He's only 1 season away from being one of the better defensive starting centers in the league as we saw firsthand when he clearly was the better center over Dalembert. If he can give you 80% of that for 10 minutes a night, he's worth keeping.... Again... IF Asik is a threat to be traded.

20. NotChandlerParsons

Hurt by injury + you now need to be an elite defender to play a lot as a guard without a jumper.