1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spacemoth, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Then I’m making my way to Bartertown.

2. Roscoe Arbuckle

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Please post the optician PhD's thoughts on coronavirus hysteria.

malakas likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I was hoping for before and after pics from the boob job mill, and I'm pretty certain that won't happen now. You guys gotta stop pissing off fatty.

5. Buck Turgidson

Blake likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Are you some sort of genius?

7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Take the number of deaths in China divide by the population of China and multiply by the population of the USA.
    In other words if the US has the same proportion of deaths as China, how many deaths would there be in the US?

Answer: less than 800.

8. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'm going to end this thread as it was unnecessary and we have made it worthless.

You can find KCheetah asking for two dollars. Cash...

9. Roscoe Arbuckle

Already corrected that.

Quit bothering me...

This is what I see.

10. KingCheetah

You're not going to do anything -- the thread will continue and it will have value.

Nook and malakas like this.
  11. Roscoe Arbuckle

I do enjoy that you've decided your life is entertaining others for free on a site that pays you nothing.

You've chosen wisely on your career goals. Good for you. And many thanks on your appreciation of mine. It was noted.

12. Buck Turgidson

13. Roscoe Arbuckle

Yeah. Sometimes a song is fun.

14. KingCheetah

You have to be a serious loser to get banned from Clutchfans for years -- after that humiliation you tucked your tail between your legs and re-registered with a new name. That is a true beta move.

Eric Riley and daywalker02 like this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very true. Fatty's shtick here is being an *******. He's quite good at it. I have to give him credit for that.

Excellent thread, @Spacemoth. It's discussing much of what's been worrying me. Everyone try not to get this, and stay well. Even Fatty.

Eric Riley, KingCheetah and malakas like this.
  16. Miracle

Miracle Member

total number of deaths = number of people infected * mortality rate

The number of infected cases and the mortality rate within US depend on the time and the effectiveness of the actions taken. China has literally shut down the entire country for weeks to contain the spread, as I explained in this post and by the WHO. Had the actions of the US been ineffective, there could be millions of people being infected, as some people suggested, and the death toll is going to be much higher than your estimate.

As of now the mortality rate is 4.5% within the Hubei province -- where the outbreak initiated -- vs. 0.9% outside Hubei in China. One primary reason for the difference is an overwhelmed vs. a functional healthcare system. Similar differences can be seen in other countries and regions. Those who acted early such as HK, Singapore, South Korea, and Germany have been able to keep the mortality rate low while countries like Italy and Iran are the opposite. The US was slow to respond at the beginning and starts to catch up right now. It remains to be seen how things will develop.

17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

@Roscoe Arbuckle I hear you brother. I'm only looking fun at you because (as you know) you have the unique talent of having a bit of arrogance rub off into any remark you make, no matter how small it is. And that's alright. I accept it.

Full disclosure: I am a certified xray, Ct and Radiation Therapy tech. Next year I plan on starting dosimetry school. My wife is a registered nurse in the operating room of a regional level 2 trauma center. Take my opinion for what you want.

As someone who interacts with probably 30-40 cancer patients a day, I take my duties seriously. I'm not afraid of this virus. I'll kick it's ass. I'm 32. No underlying health conditions. In decent shape.

My community in general, has about 250k people. The town I work in and go to the gym in has about 65k. There's some tests out, none positive yet, but one suspected.

This isn't a big deal to you and I, or most on this board, you are correct. It's a huge deal to my parents and one remaining grandparent. It's a huge deal to my patient's, who for the most part, I consider friends (just like my fellow Clutchfans).

It's a bit sobering that I woke up a day ago with a cold. I'm not worried about it. (Typing this from the treadmill, actually) What makes me anxious though, is that I don't want to be responsible for spreading this ish to the masses, especially my immuno compromised friends. That would eat at me for years.

I'm tightening up my cleanliness. I'm being more vigilant. I'm doing everything I can.

What also worries me is that in my community, and every other community across the country, there are not enough ICU beds. A lot of people will survive. Many of them will need ICU beds. There are not enough. Probably more people will die than need to because we are not prepared for this as a country. Many people still will need care for normal things, which will endanger even more. And make bed shortages all the more critical.

The government's response has been criminal. They are purposefully limiting testing and it's very evident. That's all I'll say about that.

This IS a huge deal. But at the same time, it's not as big a deal as some are making it out to be. There's a huge gray area, as there is in everything. So I get where you're coming from. Just understand where others are coming from.

My guess? In the end, I'm guessing about 5k die. I'm guessing maybe 5 million get infected, though the numbers will officially be much lower, due to previously mentioned reasons.

Sorry my thoughts aren't so clear, as I said, I'm typing from the treadmill. Sorry if I offended you.

Stay safe guys.

And I'll edit this to say that's the short of it. I could talk ad nauseum about the corporately induced staff shortages at hospitals and the seasonal and other economic effects.

For instance, I'm one of 8 people in my area that do my job. If two of us get sick at the same time, that's up to 75 or more people that aren't getting a portion of their cancer Care for up to two weeks.

Also, think about the rodeo. It brings in $500+ million. Seasonally, my much smaller town brings in $100-200 million from summer businesses. Those profits are weakened remarkably with this.

I could keep going but I'll stop there. Let's look at the whole picture, stop insulting each other and realize this is a serious deal. Maybe not doomsday like some believe, but it's very serious.

#97 Two Sandwiches, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  18. KingCheetah

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

20. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was an optician for several years straight out of high school .. you dont need a PhD for that. And as an optician, I had no earthly idea or expertise on infectious diseases. But I did get to play with the hot sales ladies. Fun times.

AroundTheWorld and KingCheetah like this.