1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 Playlist

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Mar 19, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Anything Johann Johannsson

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. basso

Supporting Member

4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. basso

Supporting Member

for y'all that only knew Chicago for their schmaltzy mid-80s ballads like "Hard to Say I'm Sorry", or Peter Cetera for schlock like Glory of Love, check them both out in this incendiary performance of State of the Union from 1972, the same year Chicago V came out.

mikol13 and Rashmon like this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/wind-of-change-podcast-990393/
    New Podcast Explores Whether the Scorpions Hit ‘Wind of Change’ Was Written by the CIA
    Eight-episode documentary series from journalist Patrick Radden Keefe to premiere on Spotify

A new podcast, Wind of Change, will explore the tantalizing possibility that Scorpions’ 1990 power ballad of the same name was actually written by the CIA as a piece of late Cold War propaganda.

The show is hosted by New Yorker journalist Patrick Radden Keefe and all eight episodes premiere May 11th on Spotify. It is a joint project co-produced by Crooked Media and Pineapple Street Studios.

As Keefe recounts in a new trailer for the podcast, the story goes that Scorpions wrote “Wind of Change” after participating in a landmark concert in Moscow in 1989 with other hair metal heavyweights like Bon Jovi and Mötley Crüe.

“Wind of Change” was a huge hit in the United States and across Europe, and its arrival lined up perfectly with the fall of the Berlin Wall and the eventual collapse of the Soviet Union. But, Keefe says, for the past 10 years he’s been dogged by a rumor a friend shared with him: That “Wind of Change” was actually written by the CIA to encourage change throughout the Soviet Union.
    more at link

basso likes this.
  7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Their first three albums rocked. Terry Kath was top 5 guitarist.

basso likes this.
  8. basso

Supporting Member

yeah, this is what got me thinking about this song. sounds like a fun podcast.

9. basso

Supporting Member

agreed, Kath was awesome. The first three albums were tremendous, and V is really good. production quality began to get in the way after they went to Caribou, but there is some good stuff on Vi & VII. maybe one good track on VIII, then all down hill from there.

also, III has the best cover art.

[​IMG]

Rashmon likes this.
  10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Finished all of the Verzuz series on YouTube. Good stuff.

11. Buck Turgidson

One of the best....

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

CTA was a hell of a band. Sounded great in concert. A really tight sound. They played a terrific set at the Dallas Pop Festival in 1969.

[​IMG]Q

Buck Turgidson and basso like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Just between me and you and basso and whoever...

I would make sure that the gun is unloaded before I put it to my head and pull the trigger. What a waste.

Deckard, Rashmon and basso like this.
  14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Their sound was fairly unique.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A very unique sound, @Mango, especially then.

Terry Kath? Yes, an incredible waste. At the pop festival, Terry reminded me of Hendrix, which is as good a compliment as I can give a guitarist. A very large guy with big hands that made his guitar look almost like a toy, the way Jimi’s did, and boy, could he play. They played twice during the 3 day weekend, on consecutive days, so I got a good look at them. They hadn’t played Houston yet and I think it was their first time playing in Texas. The video below (hope it plays - skip the ads after 5 seconds) will give you a great idea of what they sounded like early on. Just fantastic. This is from July, 1970. Crank it up!

GIGO and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

17. Buck Turgidson

18. basso

Supporting Member

incredible. tempo is faster than the version on CTA. also like the way they arranged themselves, with the drums front and center (same on the tokyo show. hard to imagine they fired Danny Seraphim because he "couldn't keep accurate time."

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On FB I'm doing a playlist of songs for the days of the week each day since some people are saying that they don't know what day it is.
    I'm kicking the week off with this.

20. basso

Supporting Member

this has been all over my timeline this week.

Buck Turgidson likes this.