1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

As long as they are playing then I will be in Vegas!

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Major

Major Member

Emergency declarations have legal meaning and allow the city more access to emergency resources, allow them to pay overtime to certain people, etc. Apparently, the federal government NOT declaring a national emergency is preventing Washington State from allowing certain doctors waivers to provide medicare services that would help distribute resources better.

J Sizzle and malakas like this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

7. omgTHEpotential

Would this be achievable in the US? Would the store owners comply?

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A fraction of the yahoos dont even believe the coronavirus is real.

You'd need to call out the National Guard.

Blatz, Ubiquitin and malakas like this.
  9. malakas

malakas Member

Advice from the Italian CDC based on 155 Italians who died:

!When you get over 37,5 C fever and trouble breathing ! then it is the alarm bell for the Coronavirus and time to alert the CDC.!

The rise in temperature and breathlessness are present as symptoms of onset in 86 percent and 82 percent of the cases examined respectively, the ISS note reads.
    Other initial symptoms found are cough, in half of the cases, while gastrointestinal symptoms are less common, such as diarrhea or even hemoptysis, the emission of blood from the respiratory tract, for example with a cough.

These data suggest that for those with only fever it is sufficient to alert their doctor while staying at home - explained Silvio Brusaferro, president of the ISS, who during the daily press conference at the Civil Protection recalled that the reference temperature is 37.5 - while in the presence of both symptoms it is better to contact 112 or 118 ".

Ottomaton and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have a senior epidemiologist working for me. He said that air is filtered, so indeed not a risk. Having someone sit next to you who has it, on the other hand...

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

True if the airline is keeping the system running properly and changing the HEPA filter timely -- not a guarantee unfortunately. It takes about 3 minutes to filter all the air so in a thin tube with 200 or so people it's likely to breath infected particulates depending on proximity (as you mentioned).

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You're still good if you fly like Bucky the Winter Soldier.

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The biggest problem on planes is the persons near you and contact areas like trays whatever else you may touch that may not have been cleaned. The air itself is probably safer and filtered better than most office buildings. I think that's the case on larger planes for international flights, but not sure about more local flights.

I have a former co-worker who just texted me that he's flying to Cancun because he didn't want to lose the money. Personally I think he's nuts, but that's just me. I'll be sitting in my closet with my cans of tuna being rationed daily. :D

KingCheetah likes this.
  14. plates300

plates300 Member

37.5 Celsius (99.5 F) is not a fever. anywhere.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I will strongly recommend home office until the end of March (for now) to my entire staff tomorrow. We will not close the office, so people can come in, but the default should be home office. And all business travel that is not completely unavoidable is suspended. If anyone has symptoms, they MUST stay home.

KingCheetah, malakas and RKREBORN like this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Why are all the news outlets interviewing how sad and disappointed vendors and locals are that the rodeo was cancelled? Shouldn't these morons be showing what's going on in Italy and the rest of the world and how the cancellation was a necessary evil?

Kim, Xenon and RustyHarden like this.
  17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Via NIH by way of Medline:

malakas likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can always clean the area yourself seat, tray table, etc that you are going to touch. more people should be doing that anyway on the plane but that's something myself and a number of others around me are doing when traveling always.

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

That's the threshold we are counting for a symptom to show up as a fever, for what that's worth.

20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Yep, I brought Lysol wipes with me when I flew yesterday...6 wipes in a ziplock sandwich bag. TSA didn't GAF and it was more than enough to wipe down my entire seat/tray/belt/buckle/armrest/wall on both flights.