1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

There is a difference between screwing up and SCREWING UP.

The President has been especially egregious, especially early on and then lately.

Fauci did not stress masks because first responders needed them early........ and seeing how people hoarded toilet paper, I suspect his judgment was proper.

Governor Cuomo also deserves criticism for his handling of the pandemic early, although at least he changed corse.

Hidalgo and Turner deserve credit for their handling as they have had to try to work around the foolishness of the governor.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

friends in chicago have mentioned it's pretty lax and they're in the Evanston area

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

She has been awesome for the city of Chicago imo.

Nook likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

POTUS has always been a gives no fcks idiot lol

It wasn't just about the masks that he wish washed. there's plenty to list
    -In January Dr. Anthony Fauci told Newsmax TV that the United States “did not have to worry”about the coronavirus and that it was“not a major threat.”
    - Dr. Fauci based all of his predictions on models the that were OFF BY MILLIONS and then later told reporters,“You can’t really rely on models.”
    - On March 20th Dr. Fauci jumped in and during a press briefing on hydroxychloroquine treatment for coronavirus “corrected” the president saying, “You got to be careful when you say ‘fairly effective.’ It was never done in a clinical trial… It was given to individuals and felt that maybe it worked.”

Exactly two weeks later hydroxychloroquine was deemed the most highly rated treatmentfor the novel coronavirus in an international poll of more than 6,000 doctors.
    -Dr. Fauci said cruises were OK on March 9th. That was a huge error.

-Dr. Fauci said malls, movies and gyms were OK on February 29th. That was another huge mistake.

5. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

It really is a shame that decision making by our elected leaders boils down to whose ass they want to kiss to secure their next endorsements for their campaign. They have no concern for anyone's well being.

I can understand keeping the economy going, it has too, but so many of these businesses can still operate with staff at home. Restaurants can still cook and waiters can deliver food to people's front door without any contact. Everything is computerized, nobody needs to hand someone a few dollars and change for a pizza. There is really no logic behind these "rush everyone back cause the economy is falling" decisions. Heck, the stock market hasn't really budged and quite frankly, more people are playing around in it at home than ever before.

If your business has warehouse jobs, hourly employees, etc, work them on shifts to try to eliminate exposure to the entire company. So if one person gets symptoms, you sent that whole crew home and the other crew can come in once it is sanitized/cleaned and continue operations. There are very simple ways to handle this.

Nook, cheke64 and Ziggy like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

As far as January, it is hard for me to have an opinion because I do not know if he was privy to the reports that the President was concerning a major increase in hospitalization in China.

Yes the models he and other experts relied on were inaccurate although most them were based on no no government action.

Fauci was right about hydroxychloroquine.

Concerning gyms, etc I believe that was in the context of cities and states meeting the CDC guidelines.

Fauci is not perfect as no one has been....... but he has been far more accurate than the opposition.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

more accurate..well that's just taking the lesser of all the evils pretty much I guess. take what you can get at this point it seems haha

Nook likes this.
  8. SuraGotMadHops

Hidalgo and Turner allowed 60K to march downtown without so much as an admonishment or warning for the participants to self quarantine for 14 days afterwards.

YOLO likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

People overlook how stubborn California is and what a huge range of philosophies, opinions, and outlooks people have here. It seems to me that some Texans might think every Californian is like Nancy Pelosi or one of the SNL Californians (which I love). Not exactly.

We have anti-vaxxers, pro-Trump farmers, kooky cultists, super-liberal counties, and very conservative counties.

But: liberals and conservatives alike in California have been letting their guard down and local governments have been rapidly loosening restrictions. SF is just now going to start allowing outdoor bars/pubs to serve. (shrug.)

Where is the MadMax story people referenced? I had trouble finding it but just make a boomer joke already and tell me where his story is. LOL.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

What exactly would you have liked them to do? Cause riots?

TheFreak likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Wow. Florida knocks it out of the park with almost 9000 new cases in one day. The convention in Jacksonville will really be fun!

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You do realize that most counties in Texas, including Harris, haven't reported cases yet?
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Fauci sounds like a real idiot -- why hasn't Trump fired him yet?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

two peas in a pod probably

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I’ve been trying to do my best to thread the needle between panic and irrational optimism. From my perspective we are lucky that covid is as relatively benign and treatable as it as and that this isn’t smallpox or airborne hiv.

It’s frustrating because I even hesitate to write that (or even anything lol) because everything gets misconstrued or turned into a fight so quickly. The social media age is a blessing with the absolutely mind blowing amount of information you can find rapidly but a curse with how it seems to have stuck our fingers into a 1000 amp outlet of information and fried our brains with all types of biases in ourselves. Maybe these always existed and they are just displayed much more prominently now but I think it’s more of an aspect of the pace of information today and not many people do well in situations where things are rapidly changing and uncertain.

blah blah blah...thoughts from sitting outside at a coffee shop after being in a few of those types of conversations on different topics over the past couple days.

Anyhow, a friend from jiujitsu said his dad tested positive for the antibodies and he is 100% sure he was infected in December from his gf. However the bad news is that his gf didn’t test positive for the antibodies. So this might mean there is something to the antibody levels dropping after a few months or maybe it means his dad was exposed to the virus again recently. I’m going to setup a test with quest diagnostics to get checked for antibodies too.

R0ckets03 and Invisible Fan like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I honestly would NOT do the current antibody tests, esp not Quest. The tests are like flipping a coin at this point.
    i did Quest and got no data , just yes/no verdict (no antibodies, allegedly).

I know of one case where a guy got four antibody tests in quick succession, receiving two positives and two negatives.

spend that money on vitamins, LOL.

robbie380, arkoe and Amiga like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess the emergenC and Airborne my mom has been pushing non-stop because her acupuncturist recommended actually has some effect.

I'm still reminded of OC beaches rebelling against the quarrantine order and having empty beaches across the LA county border.

Traffic in socal is as if things are back to normal, likely 80ish % capacity (awful as ever).

I'm mostly locked up, wearing tissue boxes to protect my long curled up nails and increasing my urine jar collection, so what do I know...

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good news!

No Worries and B-Bob like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

But you give up 100% of your FREEDOMS

B-Bob likes this.