1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Is it safe to go to some basketball park and play basketball as long as there really isn't people close to you, right? Or can you still catch it if someone played on those same courts even an hour earlier leaving any viral particles in the air?

tinman likes this.
  2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Not sure if you're joking, but the scenario you're describing as a method of catching COVID-19 is almost impossible.

3. Pringles

Pringles Member

@Ziggy You end up going back to LifeTime? I told them fools to put my account on hold, and they charging me $15 a month till I come back.

tinman and buffalobills!!! like this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'd just shoot at a school basketball court by myself, or bring your kid(s) along. I wouldnt play any pickup games anytime soon.

6. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

So there closing most 24 hour fitness down including the one I’ve gone to for the last ten years. Unreal

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

You’ll have some extra time to make gifs

Rodman23, Nook, arkoe and 1 other person like this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

13 straight days under 1000 deaths for the US

Texas deaths continue to remain low but hospitalizations are rising. Up about 32.5% this month. Houston is the biggest hot spot with hospitalizations up 248 to 730 total for a 51.5% increase this month.

9. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is another one of those misinformation pieces propagated through the media.

No need to do temperature checks because people can be asymptomatic. Dont wear masks. Dont wash hands. No need to stay 6' apart. But you still need to be scared!

If anything, we should have temperature checks right next to every security camera. People need to be told to keep their sick ass home.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I look at the graph of the 7-day moving average trend of daily deaths for the US (on worldometers). I can't paste it in here, but it's almost a bell curve, with deaths dropping like a rock.

rockbox likes this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is a doctor and certainly on the very cautious side. The data is what it is. Fever is not a great indicator for infection.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Mine as well. Doing so much online workout stuff now that I'm going to cancel my membership anyway.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I had to leave my property because the partners were trying to take my firm. It was an interesting experience. I would do it again if there is a pandemic.

Kim likes this.
  14. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Dr. Fauci confirmed what many of us suspected. Our government initially lied to us about the efficacy of masks because we were short on stock. Better stock up on your masks before the next lock down and don't stop wearing them.

So, why weren't we told to wear masks in the beginning?

"Well, the reason for that is that we were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply. And we wanted to make sure that the people namely, the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected."

https://www.thestreet.com/video/dr-fauci-masks-changing-directive-coronavirus

Kim and Nook like this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That doesn't look accurate. Maybe it's only talking about symptoms (or none) during the early day of infection. That's would be an incomplete view. As for temp check, it's definitely not something you can depend on, but it is one way to check for illness. If you have a fever, you should be at home anyway (that's been the standard procedure at school, but ppl ignore it for the workplace and elsewhere).

Here are the CDC Covid19 case surveillance for the US through 5/30/2020 (lab confirmed cases of over 1.7M cases, 1.4M were submitted for case surv)

43.1% has fever. 4% asymptomatic.

Other data below.

14% were hospitalized
    2% admitted to ICU
    5% died

Hospitalization were 6x higher and deaths 12x higher among those with reported underlying conditions compared to those with none reported

Among cases with race info (45%, or less than half of cases):
    - 36% were White (non-Hispanic)
    - 33% were Hispanic
    - 22% were Black
    - 4% were Asian

Symptom
    - 4% were Asymptomatic
    - 70% fever, cough or shortness of breath
    - 36% muscle aches
    - 34% headache
    - 8% loss smell or taste

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6924e2.htm?s_cid=mm6924e2_w#T1_down

#8056 Amiga, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    robbie380 and cheke64 like this.
  16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think that's probably taken out of context. I remember him talking about masks back in early March (before recommending all to wear masks). To paraphrase - if you feel sick, wear masks to protect other. If not, mask can help, maybe blocking 20% of the virus but it is not very effective and we have a shortage so save it up for health care workers. (and yes, he even said this --> ) In an ideal world where there is no shortage, everyone should be wearing masks (for that extra protection). But that's not where we are today.

He also said that asymp phases were never in the past a driven of spread. If that's the case for Covid19, it would be a first. (The thinking here is they didn't think asymp phase would a major driver and thus there wasn't an urgent need to tell all to wear masks... when they found that it could be, the recommendation would then have to change).

In hindsight, they should have been very clear to avoid confusion about masks and tell ppl to use any face covering, but save up the N95 and surgical masks for HCW.

Nook likes this.
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Maybe just maybe people should stop referring to deaths from over a month ago when doctors had no idea what they were dealing with? Maybe just maybe our hospitals have adapted and developed ways to minimize this oh so scary virus into something manageable?

18. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There could be many reasons why death counts could be going down (and it could be premature to say they are). At this point, the authorities have completely bamboozled the data to the point that its hard to tell what is accurate and what is skewed. This is less of a conspiracy theory view and more of a suggestion of mass incompetence across the board.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

nobody is wearing masks

Pringles likes this.