1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think hysteria takes it too far.

US has been careless, from a government perspective, but I think culturally at least, people start social distancing themselves almost 100% fully, around March 12th, the day the NBA cancelled the season and a bunch of other **** seemed to hit the fan. I know that's when my family and I started it in earnest, so i suspect around there/that weekend we started being less careless.

After that, population density has to be considered. It's not a surprise of course that NYC is the hardest hit, whereas other really dense cities in America generally were on the less careless side (see SF, Chicago). If I look at deaths and cases / population across American states (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/) it seems to correlate fairly well with more densely populated states/cities being higher up. California is the outlier, but then California isn't dense like a northeast city and was way ahead of the game in terms of not being careless. Louisiana is an outlier the other way, though I think that was explained by Mardi Gras. If you look at/think about all the major cities in Texas, there's not really density to any of the cities....

PLUS, again, people weren't that careless on the whole, even if the government generally was. Anecdotally in Texas at least, where I've seen carelessness, it's been more the younger demographic.

So I don't think its hysteria to say, if you open back up in some of these least hard hit states, you have to do so carefully, with a view in mind as to why they were least hard hit in the first place... because social distancing did start happening before the impact of the virus could take hold in dense population clusters of which there aren't many in general. So to just be aware, if the virus is still out there - as it is - anything that increases density of population within the 0-30 feet range meaningfully, will undoubtedly change the slope of the curve again.

Which does beg the question, what are the expectations then on reopening? What is the model for 1 month out assuming reopening? It has to be a worse model right - comparatively to what the current model shows in the social distancing environment?

ths balla likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . .we have over 500K new cases in the last 18 days?

Rocket River

No Worries likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

d*mn

Didn't know they were free :D

Rocket River

Deckard and tinman like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you’ve missed out since March haha

Deckard, ElPigto and Rocket River like this.
  6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I had never done HEB grocery delivery before this. I'm now a believer and tip great to let someone else shop for me. They need to add liquor though, it's time. I have like $400 in groceries being delivered tomorrow at 8am. Stocking up on that meat hard-core. I can't live the vegan life, I need the animal protein on the grill.

Deckard and CCity Zero like this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Yup. Great time to open up Friday!!!!!!111

Deckard, Nook and CCity Zero like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Oklahoma up next.

Key: “hospitalizations peaked on 3/30 at 560 and have trended down the entire month. Today, 288 hospitalized covid patients across Oklahoma. We built 4,600 hospital beds”

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Still can't do the haircut. Unless the fried chicken joint on the corner also does haircuts.
    It's like some of these people have been living in caves and just came crawling out. Wth. You used to only see some of this stuff on late night talk shows like Conan, Letterman, etc. lol.

#6969 Dr of Dunk, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Deckard likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We do have a lot of data so far on who is at risk. We just don't know specifically what makes infections go haywire. If you are under 50, healthy, not dark skinned, not obese, no nutritional deficiencies then the risk is extremely minimal. I don't believe potential long term lung damage has been a true risk in these groups.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...oronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs

https://www.sciencenews.org/article...-some-patients-may-suffer-lasting-lung-damage

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavirus-long-term-effects/story?id=69811566

Dr. Shu-Yuan Xiao, a pathology professor at the University of Chicago School of Medicine, stressed that most patients who have mild illness should recover "with no lasting effect."

Patients who have a more severe illness but recover without needing to be put on a ventilator should also be free of long-term side effects, he added.

"For the 16-20% of symptomatic patients who eventually need ICU care, it is difficult to predict," he said, referring to the percentage of those hospitalized who will need critical care.

Patients who go into the intensive care unit and need ventilators are more likely to have lung damage and to develop acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), a severe lung condition in which fluid collects in the lungs' air sacs.

"Based on experience from SARS and MERS, some patients may develop lung fibrosis," Xiao said, though he noted that lung fibrosis, which is when lung tissue becomes scarred, has not been observed in the limited studies we have so far about COVID-19.

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I know, the stupidity, its mind blowing. Also, can you edit your post and delete the video in the quote? I didnt know it auto-played itself. Apologies to anybody that was annoyed by it.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

FYI tollway drivers

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I smoked about a pack a week for about a decade.

I quit cold turkey about 8 weeks ago when I got a bad cough and chest infection. It wasn't the flu so I'm hoping that it was Covid. Either way, you can still get it more than once so that doesn't make me feel too secure.

I did a lung cleanse which has really helped take away a lingering cough that I've had for months and has also helped with my breathing. I would recommend this even for non-smokers.

I'm also taking a normal men's one a day and this immunity boost alongside:

I've always worked out and stay in decent shape.. can't wait to get back to the work gym.

#6973 sammy, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    robbie380 likes this.
  14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Not boomers, Trumpy Republicans.

(I'm not quite old enough to be a boomer, myself. But I made my weekly trip to the store today and people of all ages were wearing/not wearing masks.)

15. malakas

malakas Member

4000 IU vitamin D a day, 30 min daily sunbathing and I quit trying to quit smoking. Vitamin D and Nicotine.

Also stopped watching the news altogether.

16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Had a 50+yr patient check in with chest pain,sob, and fever for a week. He wanted to be tested for CV so we did and also a cat scan. CT chest was full of bi-lateral symmetrical pneumonia with ground-glass opacity. We told him he needed to be transferred, he didn't like that so he left. O2 level was 90-93.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

they need to make a few laws. Stand your space, shoot anyone that gets within 6 feet of you. Mouths are biological weapons.

Amiga and Kim like this.
  18. HTM

HTM Member

Any of you folks take Zinc pills to help boost the immune system/get over colds/illnesses quicker? I’ve done that all my life. Gotta take it on a full stomach though or you’ll get nauseas.

FrontRunner likes this.
  19. Exiled

Exiled Member

I think it's ok if PLT >50

some odds situations I have seen through covid-19 ,
    an 83 man with Forest Gump's like story: his mother had rheumatic fever when she was pregnant ,he was born with heart disease, dragged him self through that to his 50s,he had a heart transplant that worked well for him for over 30 years. He was due for his 2nd transplant but haulted due to covid-19, CT showed up tumer like in his lungs , turned out to be a treatable clots, his heart is beating strong now, he went through all of this mostly alone bc he doesn't want to disturb his 58 years son with commuting/bad news

a 95 years old aboriginal women admitted to ICU with severe pneumonia, her life long fear of dying alone, kept in isolation before she passed away , her family gathered outside the hospital beating drums for what they think will help her soul while a nurse holding FaceTime to record that ..(she had cll flare,not Corona after all)

an 80 years old cancer patient, she dedicated her life fostering disabled childrens , she's fostering now a 7 years girl, she was doing well with IV treatment , but when forced to use oral chemo /supplies disturbance, she had complications ,spinal compression that left her last week unable to walk , today's unfortunately before a radiation dose , tumers spread to blood vessels

cheke64 and Amiga like this.
  20. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

It'll be free again when the stay at home order comes back in 2 weeks.