1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Question is who are 'we' in your initial post that I can't get to post here?
    Greece, EU, US or the whole Western World?

malakas likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apologies for the late reply as I wasn't aware you needed a response.

From left to right.
    The first and second columns are filled with birds and poultry. Peacocks, ostriches, wild pheasants......
    The third one with insects, rodents
    Now the fourth column displays carnivores like foxes, wolf pups, badgers, civets, then wild boars and hogs.....
    The fifth and sixth column filled with essentially hogs, special breeds of cattle and ox, camels, deers, roe deers.
    Last column got fish, salamanders, crocodiles, otters and lastly snakes.

You should know that every other box could contain the same animal species, just another body part.

#5822 daywalker02, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Colleague of my dad got Corona, guess they'll test or quarantine everyone or some sheit.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

My wife’s cousin and her cousin’s husband are nurses and are now only working in the Coronavirus ICU in the hospital they work in.

As a protection measure, their kids have to live in a different house and they can only see them with PPE on and can’t touch them.

Two of the kids are under 8 years old. It’s horrible.

5. malakas

malakas Member

No that's not it. That's a different category of drug,an antiviral that battles the virus itself not the cytocine storms.
    Though this is also under clinical trial and the results are expected in April.
    But unfortunately it has very limited production and it is difficult to get it from Fujifilm, to try in patients outside of a clinical trial. (It also has severe side effects).

The drugs I mention are monoclonal antibodies against interleukin-6 receptor.
    There are two of them in clinical trials with expected results to come out in spring.

Sarilumab from Regeneron-Sanofi and Tocilizumab from Roche.

Both of those are approved drugs for rheumatoid arthritis that are relatively well known. In contrast with the antivirals like favipiravir and remdesivir.

We are still lucky though because they were approved fairly recently.
    Sarilumab was approved in 2017 by the FDA and tocilizumab in 2010

Remember this is only about a CATEGORY of patients in the ICU.
    Not everyone. Not mild symptoms.
    But patients who deterioate suddendly and show specific infections factors like elevated feritin, in their blood that show they are facing cytocine storms.

What % of patients in the ICU are they? We (I at least haven't found) any data.

However these patients are impossible to treat with plasma treatment.

6. malakas

malakas Member

All.
    In China in the beginning they were used in very very few patients. Some of them showed vast improvement and the chinese CDC quickly approved tocilizumab in March, for Covid19 cytocine storms.
    Then tocilizumab was used in the middle of March in an italian hospital in patients and it showed so good results in 50% of the cases, the ISS (the italian CDC) decided to use it in more hospitals and initiate a trial.

Then the companies themselves started clinical trials.
    They aren't included in the Solidarity and the Endeavour huge trials started by the EU and the WHO though.

We shall expect some study results to come soon but I seriously doubt if at this time they will be double blind.
    Remember the patients that these drugs aim for are in critical life threatening condition, where they can die any minute.
    Many of them too shall not be the very old 80+ but fairly younger.
    They arent for the mild cases.
    So it would be extremely unethical to conduct a double blind trial with a placebo.

Before the Health Minister said it, I had known of 4 cases already in the press. the Italians, 2 in America and 1 from here where the patients decided to publish the details themselves.

So now it's the first time I hear it from the mouth of the horse itself.

Thanx. Maybe a type of civet again? It shouldn't be foxes and wolves because then dogs should be scusceptible.
    Well thats just me speaking with my non existant knowledge of phylogenetical virology.

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Hopefully your dad didnt get infected. At least he will get tested so you will know soon.
    I hope for the best, take care yung-t.

Yung-T and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My county has 134 active cases, 49 recovered and 1 death.

Brazoria county is a huge county bordering harris county (houston) in Texas. I am hoping to see the number of recovered cases rise in the next few weeks.

9. Nook

Nook Member

There are the intelligence reports of numerous countries stating that China lied about their number of cases and the fatalities, as well as the when the virus developed.

You are free to believe what you want.

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I live in Minnesota so the "They" is me. If you live in Texas it seems to me like it would make sense to extend the stay at home order. Texas started later than Minnesota and so Texas might have to make up for lost time too. I really don't know and am trusting the experts. As someone who listens to the MN governor I've been very impressed with how he's handled things. His been calm and straightforward and I don't think he's overreacted. He phased in the shut down and even held off the mandatory stay at home order a week after neighboring WI had announced there's.

So far what the MN government has been doing is working. I don't know if that necessarily would apply to other states.

bcast89 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. likestohypeguy

Ouch imagine how many housewives might have listened to him and early on just said well forget about that then... or what's his target audience, a daytime health talk/interview type format?

And half of all those are concentrated in pearland, including the death. Seems more like a part of houston, than most of the rest of brazoria co.

Astrodome likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Also some good and bad news. As I mentioned in my last post MN has the lowest infection rate per capita in the country. It is doing much better than neighboring WI and even adjusted for population better than IA, ND and SD. Outside of the Midwest the West Coast is doing much better. CA is doing very well considering it is the most populous state with major international transit hubs from Asia. WA after being the hardest hit state early on appears to be getting it under control. My guess is that the early draconian measures taken in CA had a significant effect. The West Coast is doing so well that they are now sending resources to NY and other hard hit states.

Bad news is this morning in the first 10 pages of my FB feed I saw two of my friends say a family member and a close friend died of this disease. There is hopeful signs but we are far from over.

Nook and R0ckets03 like this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I agree, alvin and manvel also have more than the southern cities as well so it definitely just seems to be spilling over from Houston.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

New York and NJ are reeling from cases and deaths. 1K yesterday alone between the two states.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Asked my dad for more info:
    He wasn't in direct contact with the guy, but everyone who was is under quarantine now and they are disinfecting the work space.

But seems no mandatory tests.

daywalker02 and malakas like this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hopefully the drug you mentioned will reduce the strain for healthcare workers treating patients suffering from mid-late stage COVID-19

Maybe favipir should not be recommended for the young and ony restricted to people who can't have/don't want children anymore. Teratogen is easy to spot. Mutagen is more suspect and long term. China don't gaf about that...

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/sci...orea-split-over-japanese-anti-flu-drug-avigan
    A research team stated there may be risks. The research paper, “Favipiravir (T-705), a broad-spectrum inhibitor of viral RNA polymerase” by Yousuke Furuta, of Toyama Chemical, Takashi Komeno (Fujifilm), and Takaaki Nakamura (Toyama) said “favipiravir has a risk for teratogenicity and embryotoxicity”, referring to agents that can damage an embryo or fetus.

18. Major

Major Member

It's an interesting Asia-wide thing. SK didn't shut down and has had success with containment through testing. Japan did test at all and doesn't seem to have had a hospital meltdown yet, whether they've been lying about case #'s or not. Taiwan, HK and Singapore all seem to have done relatively well. China is re-opening. Though each of these countries has handled things differently, it seems all over Asia, the virus hasn't hit as hard.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

20. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I have no doubt that the actual death toll in Wuhan is higher than it actually is. It is very possible that the 2,548 death toll number in Wuhan is actually 2X or more. Anyone who dies at home and/or without getting tested positive for COVID19 would not be counted. This is true of how every country is counting deaths including the US. I simply don't think China is intentionally hiding 50-1000X deaths like many claim (ex. the urn story, the drop in active mobile phone lines conspiracy theory, etc.) because there hasn't been any concrete proof of that, only speculation.

Yes, Wuhan had many disadvantages, especially lacking any benefit of any hindsight as they were ground zero. At worst, I would expect Wuhan to perform similar to NYC in terms of deaths or better because:

1.) Wuhan's population density is 3,200/Sq Mi vs NYC's population density of 27,962/Sq Mi so it is actually far more sparse than NYC.
    2.) Wuhan's daily subway ridership averages 3.6MM per day whereas NYC averages 5.6MM per weekday. Packed subway commutes are undeniably a huge virus factory.
    3.) Both Wuhan and NYC reacted to COVID19 around 2 months after the first cases appeared. The difference is NYC had a soft lockdown which delays transmission but doesn't stop it. You had thousands of people continuing to enter the country from abroad (non-EU/UK) via LGA/JFK/Newark airport without any screening. Wuhan (and all of China soon after) was locked down hardcore like a prison as all human rights activists would tell you.
    4.) It seems the main factor to higher death rates is a lack of resources (more equipment and doctors than PPE). After the initial flood of patients, this was no longer a critical issue like in Italy for example because they built 2 hospitals specifically for COVID19 patients (no contamination to other patients), and re-purposed tons of other buildings for makeshift hospitals, and Hubei and Wuhan did not just have resources and doctors from that province, they had resources and doctors from the entire country to fight the virus. The amount of resources to support 1.4 billion people were now supporting a population of 60 million. China is the opposite of the US in that their federal government doesn't mess around and when they step in, things get done asap, whereas their local governments often don't get things done as fast and are often not varsity team material unless if they represent a tier-1 city, which Wuhan is not. If our federal government was more coordinated and didn't have a policy of "every state for itself", NYC would be in much better shape. No other developed nation, not Italy, not Spain, no one - has doctors and nurses wearing garbage bags as PPE. That itself shows how poorly our government has handled the situation.
    5.) Lastly, a significant amount of the population left Wuhan before the lock down (most likely migrant workers going home) so the population of Wuhan was significantly lower (50% lower if you believe the 5MM number) than NYC at the time of lock down.

#5840 Cokebabies, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020